Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 151 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Ashton_Reeves
Rachel615
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Also, narratives don’t matter. They just don’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Also, narratives don’t matter. They just don’t.

I think they don’t matter anymore. No way Matthew, Moore or Leonardo weren’t benefited by theirs. But there has been a shift in recent years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

9.85 million viewers, worst Oscar ratings in history. Frances third win will forever be in forgotten waste land.

Yeah, at least some people dressed nicely.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Justmimusicmon
    Topics:

I’m so happy that Trashiola Davis didn’t win. I already had a feeling Ma Sucky would underperform, this was gold. Francis is an odd 3 time winner, but her and Mulligan were my top picks.

And Mulligan lost too. Only I didn’t have to resort to childish name calling. Are you 10?!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Those definitely seem like nom worthy roles, but dont seem as juicy.

While it’s never going to be as iconic as Cassie Thomas in Promising Young Woman, I think it’s possible that her part in Maestro will turn out to be a very juicy role.  Mulligan has repeatedly said in interviews that she has no interest in “simply playing the wife of a great man.” Maestro concerns an extremely complicated love story spanning over 30 years– reportedly, Felicia Cohn Montealegre was a talented actress and pianist who married Bernstein knowing he was gay; they appeared to have an extremely strong emotional bond but were not “compatible” sexually, yet she stayed with him, despite  humiliations and the evolving role of women in society, in part because of their children, but also because of how important to her she found  facilitating his extraordinary musical career as a conductor, composer, musician and music educator, who was one of the great celebrities of his time.  In the course of trying to find an “important” role for herself, separate from him, she incurred the wrath of many by hosting fund-raisers for the Black Panther Party and founding an anti-war organization educating women against the war in Vietnam before such activity became  “popular” among her friends and social peers.  The movie seems unlikely to have as much popular “appeal” as PYW, but it is the sort of difficult part that will allow Mulligan to show off her acting chops.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

I’m so happy that Trashiola Davis didn’t win. I already had a feeling Ma Sucky would underperform, this was gold. Francis is an odd 3 time winner, but her and Mulligan were my top picks.

U can FCK all the way off

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

This is going to hurt some feelings but I feel like Viola’s campaign and fan base hurt her. Before a trailer came out, people were saying “Viola Better win Best Actress.” People on here had to apologize before posting their opinions. Also, what did it for me was when Viola posted a letter Oprah had written her. That was so tacky, but the Violets did not allow anyone to express that. Viola can do no wrong in their eyes but the voters disagree.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

When the nominees were first announced, I was predicting Mulligan. I switched to Davis after she won SAG, then to McDormand when she won BAFTA. I then switched back to Mulligan at the last minute when I saw the results of the “anonymous ballots” thread.

In hindsight, I should’ve known better than to predict anybody other than McDormand. The Academy seems to REALLY love her when she’s in a lead role. That’s why she won every time she was nominated in lead, and ONLY when she was nominated in lead. Every time she was nominated in supporting, she lost.

Next time McDormand is nominated (and trust me, there WILL be a next time), I’ll predict her for the win if it’s in lead, and anybody BUT her if it’s in supporting. It will take a truly undeniable lead performance from somebody else, or a truly undeniable supporting performance from McDormand for me to walk back that decision.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KingOfMovies
    Topics:

This is going to hurt some feelings but I feel like Viola’s campaign and fan base hurt her. Before a trailer came out, people were saying “Viola Better win Best Actress.” People on here had to apologize before posting their opinions. Also, what did it for me was when Viola posted a letter Oprah had written her. That was so tacky, but the Violets did not allow anyone to express that. Viola can do no wrong in their eyes but the voters disagree.

You are probably right. Viola posting Oprah’s letter that read “you deserve all the accolades that are coming your way” was so wannabe. It was like she posted to tell others that if Oprah is saying I’m going to sweep, make me sweep social media & industry people.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I realized for certain that Viola Davis wouldn’t win when I learned that she had come in 4th here in the goldderby film awards. I was really surprised by her poor showing – it goes to show that the people who don’t post do not necessarily share the views of those of us who are more vocal here on the threads. Carey Mulligan winning by such a wide margin made me think she would certainly win the Oscar despite her lack of precursor wins and the whole “likability” of her character issue.

I honestly didn’t see Frances McDormand winning a 3rd Oscar so soon after her 2nd one. She’s o.k., but I don’t consider her to be one of the all-time greats, and I thought she was fine and solid in Nomadland but not truly Oscar-worthy. I did however think she had a chance of winning as a dark horse in a close race but I did think it would be either Davis or Mulligan. I do believe that the perception of a best actress nominee having an “unlikable” role does them in and I could see where voters would find Cassie unlikable (I personally found Ma Rainey incredibly annoying but I also felt that her performance in the role was too theatrical and not in a good way).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t necessarily agree with all this but I do want to say that it was incredibly frustrating how people were ruling out McDormand earlier on “because she just won” and saying that Davis was locked for the win on the basis of two stills.

It’s an excellent and win worthy performance I just don’t like it so much when things are hyped up that early. I remember some saying Judas and the Black Messiah was locked to win Picture and The Trial of the Chicago 7 was locked to win Screenplay, back in September.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

While it’s never going to be as iconic as Cassie Thomas in Promising Young Woman, I think it’s possible that her part in Maestro will turn out to be a very juicy role. Mulligan has repeatedly said in interviews that she has no interest in “simply playing the wife of a great man.” Maestro concerns an extremely complicated love story spanning over 30 years– reportedly, Felicia Cohn Montealegre was a talented actress and pianist who married Bernstein knowing he was gay; they appeared to have an extremely strong emotional bond but were not “compatible” sexually, yet she stayed with him, despite humiliations and the evolving role of women in society, in part because of their children, but also because of how important to her she found facilitating his extraordinary musical career as a conductor, composer, musician and music educator, who was one of the great celebrities of his time. In the course of trying to find an “important” role for herself, separate from him, she incurred the wrath of many by hosting fund-raisers for the Black Panther Party and founding an anti-war organization educating women against the war in Vietnam before such activity became “popular” among her friends and social peers. The movie seems unlikely to have as much popular “appeal” as PYW, but it is the sort of difficult part that will allow Mulligan to show off her acting chops.

Agree with this.

I also think Mulligan is one of those few performers who really elevates the nuance in the performances. Frances McDormand is another. After An Education people said she was a one hit wonder but she came back in the conversation with Wildlife and Promising Young Woman. With the career boost her performance in Promising Young Woman has given her (because of its strength and its zeitgeisty audience and industry buzz), I have no doubt she’ll be back soon.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

This more sounds like film Twitter and gold derby and Mulligan stans and if Viola wants to post a letter ok nothing wrong with that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

You are probably right. Viola posting Oprah’s letter that read “you deserve all the accolades that are coming your way” was so wannabe. It was like she posted to tell others that if Oprah is saying I’m going to sweep, make me sweep social media & industry people.

You and anyone who truly thinks that are delusional asf.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ESS
    Topics:

When the nominees were first announced, I was predicting Mulligan. I switched to Davis after she won SAG, then to McDormand when she won BAFTA. I then switched back to Mulligan at the last minute when I saw the results of the “anonymous ballots” thread. In hindsight, I should’ve known better than to predict anybody other than McDormand. The Academy seems to REALLY love her when she’s in a lead role. That’s why she won every time she was nominated in lead, and ONLY when she was nominated in lead. Every time she was nominated in supporting, she lost. Next time McDormand is nominated (and trust me, there WILL be a next time), I’ll predict her for the win if it’s in lead, and anybody BUT her if it’s in supporting. It will take a truly undeniable lead performance from somebody else, or a truly undeniable supporting performance from McDormand for me to walk back that decision.

Of the supporting nominations, I really think she deserved to win for “Almost Famous”. And I thought she was great in Lisa Cholodenko’s “Laurel Canyon”. I think she deserved to be nominated for Laurel Canyon.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.