Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 151 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Ashton_Reeves
Rachel615
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also, narratives don’t matter. They just don’t.

I think they don’t matter if you don’t sweep. Dern and Pitt more or less swept based on narrative.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I think they don’t matter if you don’t sweep. Dern and Pitt more or less swept based on narrative.

I think Pitt and Dern got lucky they had some weak competition there. Everyone else besides Pitt already had an Oscar and Dern’s competition never had a solid second alternative.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ESS
    Topics:

I agree. Zelwegger also had the comeback narrative. Julianne Moore, Leonardo diCaprio, Kate Winslet, Laura Dern and Brad Pitt had the classic overdue narrative.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

I still think Day was ahead of Davis and Mulligan in votes just for the nature of the role. Alas, she got robbed just like Diana did in ‘72.

JHud was smart to sit out this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

Still convinced that Day was definitely 5th, maybe 4th in voting. Im sure she barely got any international votes and I’m sure the American votes weren’t that high given how the film couldn’t even get nominated for Best Song.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Still convinced that Day was definitely 5th, maybe 4th in voting. I highly doubt she barely got any international votes and I’m sure the American votes weren’t that high given how the film couldn’t even get nominated for Best Song.

Behind Kirby?? I think not. Those anonymous ballots showed how much she was being underestimated. I think that the Globe win and nature of the role were almost strong enough to overcome the lone nominee handicap.

Viola was never winning w/o Chad and I never bought into the PYM BA hype. Frances won by default.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Day was 4th like Glenn Close.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL

Frances clearly doesn’t care about campaigning or things of that nature, but she keeps winning awards. I respect it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

I honestly believe the only thing Day did is take away enough votes from Davis to enable McDormand’s victory.

Also for all we know, McDormand could have won this category by less than 100, 50 or even 10 votes! We won’t know the vote totals but it won’t surprise me in the least if McDormand’s win was by the most wafer-thin margin.

Quoting what Youn said in her speech, McDormand (as deserving as she was, and I believe she was the best here) was incredibly lucky to win this, with how the category shaped up for her (with Day getting nominated, unlike at SAG) and 2020 being a truly unusual year.

ReplyCopy URL

Do y’all think that Viola should’ve been pushed in Supporting? I saw a lot of people say during the awards season that she didn’t have enough screen time to warrant a Lead push.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

It’s kind of interesting how only Daniel Day-Lewis swept the entire season for a 3rd Oscar. Meryl lost at Critics Choice and SAG but won BAFTA. Frances lost everywhere except BAFTA. Sis really redefined the threshold for a 3rd Oscar. You just need 1 industry precursor and you’re golden.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Narratives still matter. Let’s not pretend Juliane Moore, Leonardo DiCaprio, Viola Davis, Gary Oldman, Laura Dern and Brad Pitt didn’t have strong narratives. But they also benefitted from weak competition. They also had the right roles or were in strong vehicles.

A narrative itself isn’t enough for a win, but it’s still important.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

It’s kind of interesting how only Daniel Day-Lewis swept the entire season for a 3rd Oscar. Meryl lost at Critics Choice and SAG but won BAFTA. Frances lost everywhere except BAFTA. Sis really redefined the threshold for a 3rd Oscar. You just need 1 industry precursor and you’re golden.

I think playing Lincoln had something to do with it that was undeniable awards bait.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Still convinced that Day was definitely 5th, maybe 4th in voting. Im sure she barely got any international votes and I’m sure the American votes weren’t that high given how the film couldn’t even get nominated for Best Song.

I would say Costumes. I think it missed Song shortlist due to visibility issues. The costumes were extremely showy and, in my opinion, one of the best aspects of the movie. It getting snubbed for Pinocchio was quite telling that it had no support outside Andra.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

This was a strange season due to virtual ceremonies, people not watching movies, and lack of in person campaigning. Watch next year precursors fall in the same line as 4/4 sweeps last year. The 2020-2021 award season will most likely be an anomaly but we will see for the future and hope it isn’t an anomaly as I appreciate precursors going to different people and the general chaos of it.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.