Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

Oscars 2021: Best Actress (Part 51)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 151 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Ashton_Reeves
Rachel615
  • Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Honey, I’m tired of white actors constantly winning Oscars for mediocre performances due to their skin color.

You’re a bot, right?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

I’m tired of black actors using history (and their skin color) to selfishly campaign for Oscars. Hopefully we get a genuinely great performance from a black actress that is actually worthy of winning that second Lead Actress Oscar for black people. Daniel Kaluuya and Mo’Nique did it effortlessly. And won based on PERFORMANCE. I said it.

Which black actor/actress campaigned like that? We all know where you’re pulling this from, but I’ll give you an opportunity to back up your racist nonsense

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

People have offered up several different reasons why they think McDormand won and the other nominees lost. I think it’s a combination of factors but let me mention one I don’t think others have focused on very much–  I don’t think it’s a coincidence that all four Oscar acting wins (and the Best Picture and Director wins) were from movies that debuted online in February or March.  My suspicion is that AMPAS voters during a pandemic have relatively short memories/attention spans. I think Viola and Carey, and to a lesser extent, Vanessa, were hurt by the fact that their films were released months before Nomadland was.  Of course, the release date is not the sole reason Frances won, or possibly even the main one, but I do believe that in what was likely a very close vote divided among five strong candidates,  the release date may have been a somewhat significant factor.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Rant Time:

I am so disappointed in Black Actors in Hollywood. Every year, I hear them crying about the acting categories. In times, they are justified in their rants but what about the other categories. I can’t name a single time I’ve heard a Black actor mention other fields in film and TV. Are there not Black writers, Black cinematographers, Black sound editors and mixers, Black stunt teams, Black Production designers, Black directors, or Black costume designers. It is so frustrating. Their obsessions with fame, being the center of attention, and being at the level of Whites has clouded their minds into believing they are the only important ones regarding filmmaking. There were 5 Black acting nominees this year. How many Black cinematographers were nominated? How many Black directors were nominated? How many Black writers were nominated? What about Black sound editors? As a Black writer myself, this makes my blood boil. We’re expected to fight for them but they will remain silent for us. This is straight bulls***

– I’m done ranting!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Just realised that Frances has won a lead actress Oscar for her last two film roles… her power!!

The power of an icon

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Honey, I’m tired of white actors constantly winning Oscars for mediocre performances due to their skin color.

Absolutely! But you also gotta use this comment at the right time. Throwing that around this year seems very forced. McDormand and Hopkins truly delivered in strong films and had the most acclaimed performances in their categories, so they won. Simple as that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Okay but Hopkins and McDormand literally gave some of the best performances in their categories and calling their performances mediocre is quite bizarre.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

McDormand and Hopkins were both thoroughly deserving of this win. And no I don’t say this as someone who hates Boseman or Mulligan because Mulligan is my personal awards winner this year and whilst Ahmed is my favourite in this category and I preferred Hopkins to Boseman, the latter would have been an excellent winner as well.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Just because someone claims to be black on message boards that doesn’t mean that they are.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Mulligan couldn’t even win the MTV award 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

One more phantom award for her collection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

One more phantom award for her collection!

Yeah. It’s SO embarrassing for her to lose a Best Performance in a Movie award to Chadwick Boseman, especially when the bulk of the voting took place after he unexpectedly lost the Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Yeah. It’s SO embarrassing for her to lose a Best Performance in a Movie award to Chadwick Boseman, especially when the bulk of the voting took place after he unexpectedly lost the Oscar.

Not that serious. It’s literally just a reference to this meme.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

You say that as if she wouldn’t lose to Zendaya if Chadwick wasn’t nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I know she lost to Chadwick but this is still hilarious since the only televised award she won all season were from a public body (largely from Twitter)

Funny thing is even with all the rabid stans pushing her hard all season, she wouldn’t beat Zendaya either!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.