Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 441 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Oscirus_Jones
Kafka_Gyllenh..
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

Glenn is TT on Twitter right now.

I think a tie between Anthony and Chadwick would’ve been the best case scenario. Though I still would’ve been annoyed with that horrendous Delroy snub (I’m still pissed). Very happy for Anthony (in my personal list, he dethrones Casey Affleck as the most deserving winner in this category of the last 20 years) and very unhappy for Chadwick.

I hate the fact Frances has three Oscars. Not only because (unlike many here) I think she only deserves her statue for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri but also because (again, unlike many here) she was the least deserving of her slate, in my opinion. I thought Nomadland was a beautiful film yet Frances performance was so underwhelming. I thought the nomads’ stories are what make the film moreso than Fern’s story (for me, her character is the bridge to those stories). And before you even start, no, I don’t think she acts like herself since I don’t know her personally and none of you either. I love subtle performances like Melissa Leo, Gabourey Sidibe, Emmanuelle Riva or Yalitza Aparicio as of lately in this category but Frances does absolutely nothing. Nothing worthy of merit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Potatohead
    Topics:

The person who decided the awards order:

I’d have to disagree with this. The order of the awards seemed very deliberate to me—they were capitalizing on Chadwick Boseman’s death and widely-predicted Best Actor victory in order to keep eyeballs on the screen until the very end for an emotional moment. The way that the producers toyed with viewers, and Boseman’s own family, with the category switch-up was completely trashy, especially since it backfired in a horrible way when an apathetic Joaquin Phoenix announced an absent Anthony Hopkins as the winner.

Everyone supporting Boseman was manipulated and insulted by the producers, and they have every right to be angry at the way that the program was staged.

Anthony Hopkins’ victory was utterly diminished by the setup as well. I thought he gave the better performance and ought to have won, but the way that they set up the telecast ruined his win and made a mockery of those rooting for Boseman.

Plus, Nomadland—which won the biggest prize of the night, Best Picture—was shoved before Best Actress and Best Actor as if this year’s winner was less important than any other year’s, which was particularly cruel for Chloé Zhao as a female Chinese filmmaker (they definitely anticipated her film to win in this category).

The producers tried to be clever with the switch-up, and they ended up messing up Zhao, Hopkins, and most of all Boseman and his legacy with their sleazy pandering. They should not touch another Oscars telecast with a ten-foot pole, and ought to publicly apologize for their mishandling of the broadcast.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jason Travis
    Topics:

Anthony Hopkins’ victory was utterly diminished by the setup as well. I thought he gave the better performance and ought to have won, but the way that they set up the telecast ruined his win and made a mockery of those rooting for Boseman.

I agree the producers manipulated the ceremony for a Boseman “emotional” moment, but that by no means discredits Anthony Hopkins and his best actor victory. Years from now hopefully the win will be looked at as one of the most deserved in history, and not “well it would have been nice- but do you remember the presentation?” Hopkins didn’t even show up (he never planned to). Plenty of actors don’t show up to collect their trophies, and some even decline their victories (Marlon Brando, George C Scott). Doesn’t mean they aren’t still merited with the win. Plenty of presentations get botched too, most notably with the La La Land/Moonlight scandal. Doesn’t take away the fact that Moonlight is still a Best Picture winner.

Don’t let the trashy ceremony ruin what is now a celebrated and OSCAR winning performance.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    17K Subscribers, 33 Million Views

FYC: Rachel Zegler, West Side Story/Drive My Car for Best Picture

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Faux architect
    Topics:

Frances and Hopkins deserved and the Academy still has a race problem. Those can both be true. There are actresses with 4 times as many Oscars as black women have.

Pantheon of acting: Uta / Elizabeth / Richard / Sandy (Virginia Woolf), Bibi / Liv (Persona), Sandrine (La Ceremonie), Brie (Short Term 12), Jodie (Silence of the Lambs), Jodie (Killing Eve), Nicole (The Others), Eva (Penny Dreadful), Timothée (CMBYN), Lupita (Us)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Potatohead
    Topics:

I agree the producers manipulated the ceremony for a Boseman “emotional” moment, but that by no means discredits Anthony Hopkins and his best actor victory. Years from now hopefully the win will be looked at as one of the most deserved in history, and not “well it would have been nice- but do you remember the presentation?” Hopkins didn’t even show up (he never planned to). Plenty of actors don’t show up to collect their trophies, and some even decline their victories (Marlon Brando, George C Scott). Doesn’t mean they aren’t still merited with the win. Plenty of presentations get botched too, most notably with the La La Land/Moonlight scandal. Doesn’t take away the fact that Moonlight is still a Best Picture winner. Don’t let the trashy ceremony ruin what is now a celebrated and OSCAR winning performance.

I like the idea that in the future people will hail his win for The Father as one of the best and most-deserved wins in Academy history, and I suppose it is quite possible. I guess I’m just frustrated with the way some people are attacking him online because of a situation that’s entirely out of his control, or suggesting that his merit wasn’t as important as Boseman’s narrative. The inevitable mass letdown when Boseman lost, compounded with the producers’ scheming, has led to a lot of animosity towards Hopkins and his win that I think is very unfair. I do hope the win ages well though, because he was incredible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

His widow knew it was a competition. 9k voters, right? If she showed up expecting to get on the stage then that’s on her and people around her lying to her.

FOH. If you want to use him to end your ceremony on a high note, thats fine but you should make damn sure that he won if you’re going to do so as opposed to embarrassing his widow that way.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

#CancelFrancesMcDormand

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Both Frances McDormand and Anthony Hopkins are 1000000% deserving of their Oscars. I am sorry but what Hopkins did in The Father at the age of 83 was so devastating, heart-breaking, and incredible that anyone trying to shame his victory either hasn’t seen the film or doesn’t appreciate the Oscar for Best Actor actually going to the best performance in the category. I’d even argue that Hopkins is the best winner in this category in over a decade!

And what Frances McDormand does in Nomadland, a film where she is practically in every single scene, a performance where she had to act with complete non-actors (which, if you ask any actor, is not the easiest thing to do) that feels so real, so humanised and still so heartbreaking, how can anyone have a problem with her winning for such a brilliant performance?

Whether you like it or not, these two were the best in their categories.

Also hopefully this shuts up everyone who thought Boseman was only getting nominated because of his untimely passing. Clearly, the Academy only cared about the performance, which means they would have nominated him regardless.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Some final thoughts after sleeping on it:

The good

– I honestly felt that most of the wins were deserving. I would’ve gone for different choices in Cinematography, Song, Costumes and maybe Original Screenplay and Editing, but even there the winners have a lot of merit. Wasn’t mad with a single win other than Two Distant Strangers and it’s maybe the first time ever I’ve thought all four actor winners were the best in their category.

– The first two thirds of the ceremony were good. Started really well and tailed off a little. Thought it flowed nicely and there were great speeches from Youn, Zhao, Vinterberg and others. In the pandemic context I felt they were doing a decent job keeping things moving and not looking slapdash.

The bad

– The final third was so poorly managed that I’m not quite sure it wasn’t a fever dream I had after falling asleep at 3 AM. The choice to swap Picture and Actor was atrocious even before the calamity happened, and I’d have paid serious money to see the producers as it unfolded. Even with Actress, McDormand winning after just delivering a speech couldn’t have gone much worse for them.

– The music. Play the music from the films. It’s almost unbelievable they decided not to do this, and it played as extra funny considering the serious tone of everything else.

– Lack of clips. Slowed the showed down a great deal, sold the nominees to nobody who hadn’t seen them already. Another easy call and tradition they bafflingly went without.

– In Memoriam. You had Glenn Close teeing it up with Da’Butt – saving the worst segment idea since that ‘Boobs’ song years ago, I must say – and then rushed through it so fast just genuinely couldn’t read half the presentation.

In short: really great winners, really poor show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Also, like the audacity of people being mad at an 83-year-old for skipping the Oscars in the middle of a deadly pandemic and twisting that into a bizarre “he insulted Chadwick by not showing up” narrative? Like please fuck off! Or come visit us in India and see how the virus has unleashed absolute havoc.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Also, like the audacity of people being mad at an 83-year-old for skipping the Oscars in the middle of a deadly pandemic and twisting that into a bizarre “he insulted Chadwick for not showing up” narrative? Like please fuck off! Or come visit us in India and see how the virus has unleashed absolute havoc.

I know that he didn’t travel, but Hopkins really didn’t care at all lol, he didn’t even turn on the camera.
    He just woke up and dedicated his win to Chadwick tho, so i don’t get the hate.

Lol, he was sleeping 😂

FYC:

"Succession" and "Severance" in all Drama categories;
    "Ted Lasso" and "The Great" in all Comedy categories;
    "Station Eleven" and "The White Lotus" in all Limited categories + Ethan Hawke for "Moon Knight".

Kaley Cuoco ("The Flight Attendant"), Janelle James ("Abbott Elementary"), Mandy Moore ("This is Us"), Colin Firth ("The Staircase"), Christine Baranski ("The Good Fight"), Katja Herbers ("Evil").

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Also, like the audacity of people being mad at an 83-year-old for skipping the Oscars in the middle of a deadly pandemic and twisting that into a bizarre “he insulted Chadwick for not showing up” narrative? Like please fuck off! Or come visit us in India and see how the virus has unleashed absolute havoc.

He was literally in Wales too. It would have been 4 AM when he won. I’m 60 years younger than the man and I was near-comatose by the time Joaquin was on stage. I feel like people think he was in L.A. and just didn’t show, but even if that was the case he was he’s not obliged to lol.

I am glad Frances went, though. The ending would have been astonishingly bad had she also bailed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I know that he didn’t travel, but Hopkins really didn’t care at all lol, he didn’t even turn on the camera. He just woke up and dedicated his win to Chadwick tho, so i don’t get the hate. Lol, he was sleeping 😂

People are not mad at Hopkins, who’s one of the GOATs and gave a GOAT-level performance.

People are mad at McDormand winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 441 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.