Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 441 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Oscirus_Jones
Kafka_Gyllenh..
  • Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

People are not mad at Hopkins, who’s one of the GOATs and gave a GOAT-level performance. People are mad at McDormand.

Why are people mad at McDormand either? She was just voted Best Actress by others. What can she do about that?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

Slightly off topic:

Frances’ Wikipedia page has been updated to say she’s the only person to win for producing and acting in one night, which is of course a huge achievement.

But does anyone happen to know the other people who have won both categories? Google is being unhelpful and I can only think of Brad Pitt and George Clooney.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

People are not mad at Hopkins, who’s one of the GOATs and gave a GOAT-level performance.

People are mad at McDormand winning.

McDormand and Hopkins were strong opposites
    A strong loud and brilliant performance
    A strong subtle and more quiet, also brilliant performance

I love this duo if you ask me

FYC:

All things Succession, Severance, Ted Lasso, The Great and The White Lotus! Also, Colin Firth and Janelle James while you're at it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

Slightly off topic: Frances’ Wikipedia page has been updated to say she’s the only person to win for producing and acting in one night, which is of course a huge achievement. But does anyone happen to know the other people who have won both categories? Google is being unhelpful and I can only think of Brad Pitt and George Clooney.

Michael Douglas did it aswell (One flew over the cuckoo´s nest as producer and Wall Street as actor).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Came 316th! My second highest Oscars score ever.

The way I won in both lead categories even though my faves (Ahmed and Mulligan) lost and I didn’t predict Hopkins and McDormand because I told people that if McDormand wins a precursor in this split open race that the fact she’s in the Best Picture frontrunner can help her coattail.

I also told you all to underestimate The Father at your peril and I have been mocked for months by saying this film will first get nominated or that it was in the top 5… It was the Best Picture runner up (Promising Young Woman was third, not sure what was fourth)! I think if it released in January it might have even gone all the way.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kafka_Gyllenhaal
    Topics:

Y’all are really trying it as if she gave the award to herself. The fumes.

Yeah like I’m not the happiest about her win in Best Actress but if anyone’s to blame it’s… AMPAS. McDormand isn’t some bigwig fudging the results behind closed doors.

FYC: Minari for Everything

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I’m really disappointed in certain users on the forums (especially those whose opinions I’ve always respected) for bashing Hopkins and McDormand, who did no campaigning at all. Some people are really trying to make a backlash out of everything. If you really hate McDormand better not return next season.

I’ve had McDormand since the nominations came out, but you guys convinced me that they don’t give out a third Oscar that easily, so this past week I switched to Mulligan, even though I was assuming that voters don’t know how many statuettes people have. And it turned out true – the average voter doesn’t know (or care) how many Oscars you have. Just the pundits do. Still, I think Day siphoned off a significant amount of votes from Davis since the SAG support should’ve been enough.

The Lead Actor category is the most fascinating part of this season for me. The prolonged season made Boseman such a set in stone type of winner that voters relied on other to carry him to the win and allowed themselves to vote for someone else. Hopkins was truly brilliant and deserves no tarnishing of his name. Boseman was terrific, so was Ahmed. Everyone nominated is supposed to be.

Some may remember me being annoying with FYC posts about Hopkins at the Gold Derby Awards (which didn’t work out), but my two lead category picks at the GD Awards ended up taking the Oscar.

Another highlight was Youn. Normally I don’t care about standing ovations, but she deserved one. Song is still a puzzle for me. Odom Jr. made so much sense. Cinematography is a bigger puzzle, since ASC isn’t a reliable prognosticator and Director went to a different film.

What really deserves criticism is the ceremony itself and the producers. They tried to make a traditionalist ceremony shiny and cool. The strive for ratings will ultimately be the demise of the Oscars. What should’ve been done differently? Cut the duration is a great step towards attracting more viewers. Show clips, not nominees’ faces. What’s the point if not promoting the nominated films? Stop with the silly additions like trivia, free sandwiches and jet skis. Restrict the speech duration. Last year’s Actor should be presenting this year’s Actress, not the other way, etc.

By the way, wasn’t Fennell the one complaining that she wouldn’t be able to travel to the States because of restrictions, so they decided for the European venues?

Soderbergh wanted to create a film out of the Oscars and it turned out a Razzie worthy one. Just the idea of thinking about not putting Best Picture last just so you can make an impact out of an uncertain outcome is plain stupid. Just terrible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I came in like 5 thousandth and some and that’s with the super bets
    Imagine without, i would be dead last.

FYC:

All things Succession, Severance, Ted Lasso, The Great and The White Lotus! Also, Colin Firth and Janelle James while you're at it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

I‘m fine with those winners lol the love was spread well.
    Finally it‘s over and to anthony hopkins and frances mcdormand haters: seethe.

Emmy FYC:

Better Call Saul in all categories.

Especially Rhea Seehorn, Bob Odenkirk, Writing, Drama Series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

It was the Best Picture runner up (Promising Young Woman was third, not sure what was fourth)! I think if it released in January it might have even gone all the way.

I actually think it retrospect the way they released it was genius. It built just the right amount of buzz and anticipation then dropped to a huge amount of love whilst Ma Rainey faded and other BP contenders fell by the wayside. They were probably the one company who timed the late-break to perfection, which seems crazy looking at it from a month ago, but held true last night. Not sure they could have done much better, but I agree with you it seems a clear second place.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Keth
    Topics:

Show clips, not nominees’ faces. What’s the point if not promoting the nominated films?

My interest in the movies started when I was about ten after watching an Oscar telecast. Going to the movies was just something my family didn’t do unless it was family night at the drive-in when mom would pop a bunch of popcorn and fill a cooler with Shasta soda. And usually, the car speaker wasn’t very clear and us kids played on the swing set instead of watching the movie.

But, after watching my first Oscar telecast, I wanted to go to the movies to see these wonderful films that I saw various clips from. I had to know what these movies were about and who these best actors were. I love the acting clips, the best picture clips, the costumes, the set directions and cinematography shots. The Oscars are about the movies and last night I learned more about the people nominated instead of the movies they were nominated for. Show the clips! Promote the films!

Life is a thin thread.
    We hang on tightly knowing
    it will snap one day.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

Anthony Hopkins is now the oldest person to win an acting Oscar, beating Christopher Plummer’s record (which in turn was set following his win for Beginners back in 2012).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The way I had a super bet on Hopkins winning two days ago and switched back to Boseman yesterday..

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

At this rate with how well she does with awards, I’m surprised Frances McDormand didn’t win the Voiceover Emmy for playing God in Good Omens.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Keth
    Topics:

Besides the no acting clips, my biggest gripe about last night’s awards were the order of presentation. Shouldn’t the last four awards go to Director, Best Actress and Best Actor and finally, Best Picture? I know it’s the same old, same old but aren’t these the top four awards at the Oscars? Next year, why not just start with Best Picture and then end the ceremony with Best Animated Short.

Although I was pulling for Andra Day and Chadwick Boseman, congratulations to Frances McDormand (loved her performance) and Anthony Hopkins (I’m watching The Father this evening).

My favorite presenter was Joaquin Phoenix and my favorite acceptance speech was Frances McDormand when she won Best Actress. Oh, and her wolf howl in the Best Picture speech. Loved it!

Life is a thin thread.
    We hang on tightly knowing
    it will snap one day.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 441 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.