Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 441 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Oscirus_Jones
Kafka_Gyllenh..
  • Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Honey, I’m shook that black people keep submitting and showing up to these racist ass awards. PUKE!

How do you explain the H.E.R and Kaluuya wins? And the fact that there were loads of POC acting nominees in general.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Agree with that. The directing category in special, it’s very internationally driven these days. To think Kathryn Bigelow and Damien Chazelle are the only Americans to win in 11 years…

Exactly. The Vinterberg nomination this year as well.

We’re definitely getting a foreign director passion pick nom next year. My eyes (for now) are on Claire Denis and Leos Carax.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I came 312th.

Haha I came 4 places behind you!

I really regret having Frances in 4th.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

SS

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

This year’s Oscars left a sour taste in my mouth after presenting the lead categories after picture unlike last year where I felt the most enthusiastic for an Oscar ending thanks to the Parasite sweep. Also last years acting montages were cheesy but I would take them any day over this years lack of clips!!

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

SS

A very unwelcome surprise, to be sure.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I am very concerned for the state of the Oscars in terms of inclusivity when it comes to the nominees. Due to the circumstances this year, a lot of indie films starring and helmed by POC were embraced — in large part because the bigger films were all pushed. I fear that next year’s acting lineups are going to look very similar to last year’s, which would be absolutely disheartening.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Haha I came 4 places behind you!

I really regret having Frances in 4th.

I think we did good, given there were 9000+ users this time around.

I regret having her in 4th too. I should have moved her up to at least 3rd as she was definitely ahead of Andra. I just assumed the Best Picture stat was going to benefit Carey and not Frances. I guess that Bafta jury snub really was telling after all vis-a-vis Carey’s strength. I also genuinely did not believe they would give her a 3rd Oscar, which in hindsight was incredible dumb reasoning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

I’m in the minority of thinking these were great despite of the foolishness that was the final moment and in all honesty I’m not all that mad about it. If anything, the sound is what I had an issue with. To start, I think this producing team did a great job. I was all ready to clown “Steven Soderbergh Presents The Oscars”, but I can’t. It looked amazing. While everyone is roasting (I choose to praise) Soderbergh, shout out to Jesse Collins who came up with the blueprint for these award shows and live events with the BET Awards, The Weeknd’s Super Bowl Halftime Show, and the Grammys. And shout out to the woman also, but I bet they are like “My name is Bennett and I’m not in this” right now.

I hear the criticisms and get the emotions, but I’m simply on the island of unpopular opinion and the weather is lovely here. I truly think if things had went they way they had planned and hoped for, this would’ve been well received. A possible second black actress win and finishing with Chadwick, must see television and an awards moment for the ages. But it didn’t happen and everyone is mad. It’s a touch hypocritical that a moment that would’ve been celebrated is now being called exploitive for ratings. I mean both can be true, but it’s kind of funny.

Another thing is that, I love how insider this was. I never need an award show to have the bell and whistles and for a year like this, it didn’t need to. Not to speak for the producers, but I get the idea of throwing it back to the early days before television. Hell, this is what they do at the Governors Awards now if I can point out a modern context. But again, I get the argument of this is supposed to be a television event to get viewers, so stuff like clips and performances are valid points, but again I feel like the show was good without them.

To go in on some of the criticisms I find foolish. Complaining about speeches. Really? I find it funny that the same ones complaining on the rambling of it all will be the same ones to cry boo when speeches are cut off. As one could tell from this post, y’all would have hated my ass if I just won an Oscar bc I too would be a rambling fool. And again, they just won a high honor in their field. Have some grace. I mean do or don’t, you all are grown lol.

The winners were brilliant. 17/23! . To get the final moment out of the way, I think most in the know are thrilled that Sir Anthony got this and/or knows he’s deserving. It just the audience not following these things, the producers planning, and real emotion of thinking Chadwick being deserving are the forces being at play. Fran serving Kate Hepburn is so juicy considering Kate not liking Meryl. She is truly genius and I love this for her. My Ugandan King did that and even let the audience in on an African mama’s “boy, you play too much” face. Hell yes for YJ! Best speech of the night. And shoutout to H.E.R. She is the moment lol and it makes sense with the song being in the Best Picture nominee that was popular. The one prediction I am kicking myself about is Sound of Metal in Editing. Fuck, but understandable if I gives stats their due, which y’all know I hate.

As to wrap up, this was my favorite ceremony since 2009. A fitting end to a long, messy, and unprecedented awards season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:
    Atypical
    Topics:

Anthony Hopkins’ reps pleaded for him to be allowed to deliver his acceptance speech on Zoom since he didn’t want to travel to the #Oscars hubs in Dublin or London, but the Academy didn’t allow it.

(https://t.co/jxEd9VIluW) pic.twitter.com/EWyNA5pU56

— Film Updates (@TheFilmUpdates) April 26, 2021

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

72% accuracy. My highest so far. I actually even got the shorts right. Lmfao. Also, I had McDormand last on Lead Actress. Lol.

I just love movies. And awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Alan
    Topics:

Darlings, does someone knows if Olivia said something about Anthony’s win?

Four-time Academy Award winner Frances McDormand

Two-time Academy Award winner Anthony Hopkins

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

We will erase the ceremony from our minds but we will not erase these iconic winners…

Why is it that the only actress who seems to be able to beat those I’m rooting for (who I go overboard in passion for) is Frances yet I still am so happy to see her win for her deserving performances? I feel like she’s cast a spell on me lol.

Oscars FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 441 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.