Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 442 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Oscirus_Jones
Kafka_Gyllenh..
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

We will erase the ceremony from our minds but we will not erase these iconic winners…

Why is it that the only actress who seems to be able to beat those I’m rooting for (who I go overboard in passion for) is Frances yet I still am so happy to see her win for her deserving performances? I feel like she’s cast a spell on me lol.

FYC: Together in all categories (Actress – Sharon Horgan, Actor – James McAvoy, Original Screenplay), Shiva Baby (Adapted Screenplay, Score), CODA (in all categories esp. S. Actor – Troy Kotsur), Zola (S. Actress – Riley Keough), Together Together (Original Screenplay), The Sparks Brothers (Documentary Feature), Summer of Soul (Documentary Feature)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Alan
    Topics:

We will erase the ceremony from our minds but we will not erase these iconic winners… Why is it that the only actress who seems to be able to beat those I’m rooting for (who I go overboard in passion for) is Frances yet I still am so happy to see her win for her deserving performances? I feel like she’s cast a spell on me lol.

That photo is iconic. I really wished having a photo of the three holding their Oscars, and Sir Anthony is missing. Truly the strongest acting lineup in years.

Four-time Academy Award winner Frances McDormand

Two-time Academy Award winner Anthony Hopkins

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Get real!  H.E.R and Daniel Kaluuya winning does NOT excuse black actors NOT winning in leading categories: Best Actor and Best Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way Zack Morris started trending on Twitter because of Fennell’s mention of him in her speech.

The power of a zeitgeisty film…

FYC: Together in all categories (Actress – Sharon Horgan, Actor – James McAvoy, Original Screenplay), Shiva Baby (Adapted Screenplay, Score), CODA (in all categories esp. S. Actor – Troy Kotsur), Zola (S. Actress – Riley Keough), Together Together (Original Screenplay), The Sparks Brothers (Documentary Feature), Summer of Soul (Documentary Feature)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

The Great:

– Hopkins! The best performance actually won.

– really didn’t feel like Davis deserved the Oscar, so pleased she didn’t win (although it should have been Mulligan or Kirby)

– the set/seating layout inside Union Station was quite cool

– Regina King is a good presenter and opened the show effectively

– the presenting seemed a bit classier, with no average banter between co-presenters like they have most years

– Youn’s speech was funny

The Bad:

– Hopkins should have been allowed to Zoom in if that was his preference, or pre record a speech in case he won

– why did they make Zellweger present Actress and Phoenix Actor? They should stick with tradition, especially given Dern presented Supporting Actor and Pitt presented Supporting Actress

The Ugly:

– the In Memoriam segment was horribly rushed. Some of the names appeared so fast you could barely read them.

– presenting Director so early and Picture before the lead acting awards was bizarre

– no acting clips really sucks

– the producers leaving Best Actor until last and banking on a Chadwick win really backfired

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Already tired of the “oscars are irrelevant hollywood pats on the back rich people die” discourse. People who haven’t bothered to watch a single nominee crying about “wokeness” and the POC wins being “affirmative action”. I wish people would just fucking stop cribbing about everything. It’s just a party with pretty dresses, And yet it’s all the people complaining about how irrelevant they are who take them so seriously and are so pressed. It’s exhausting, especially the supposed politicisation of the Oscars which is (a) barely noticeable and (b) has existed literally since they started.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

Glenn Close was the night!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Why did Chloe Zhao call Frances Fern only to have Frances correct Zhao when she was given the mic. It didn’t feel playful and felt overly serious. The whole thing felt very awkward.

Frances won Best Actress but her speech was nowhere as ecstatic to her Billboards speech. It was obvious she didn’t want to win but I would have appreciated if she acknowledged her nominees and director like the last time she won. I can’t really blame her though since a 3rd acting Oscar most likely overwhelmed her at the moment.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    lvigario
    Topics:

So…

I thought 2019 was one of the best Oscars of the last few years. Last year, was also pretty decent. This year… not so much.

– Not much comic reliefs moments. And I think the world was craving for some humor after a very difficult year. We missed Maya Rudolph/ Kristen Wiig or Jodie Foster/Jennifer Lawrence or Tiffany Haddish and Kristen Wiig. Those moments are very needed in this kind of events.
    – No big moments. Excluding of original songs performances was not a smart choice for me, it adds something to the whole event. For instance, the very random choice of Eminem last year. It was a moment.

– When I saw this pic…

I thought … well this year is going to be amazing. I think they should have done the whole event in this scenario. It would be groundbreaking. It was a mesmerising set. The “real” set gave me Golden Globes vibes. It was glamours, but not memorable.

– Putting “Best Actor” as the last category was very anti-climax.

– The best moment was the game with Lil Rel Howery. Glenn Close <3

– I like Regina King, but besides the opening credits which I thought was a great idea … the whole monologue … well it set the tone for the event. Very serious, very heavy. Too heavy.

FYC TV: genera+ion | The Other Two | Starstruck | Schmigadoon! | Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Mr. Colman |

FYC Movies: CODA | In The Heights

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

I am thoroughly disappointed by McDormand’s win. It was a beautiful and reserved performance but nowhere near not win worthy imo. Already I’m not sure if I liked France’s wins for Fargo and 3BB and then they give her a third? Is she really deserving of a third Best Actress Oscar? Emily Watson and Brenda Blethyn gave much complex performances and have never won yet. This seems like a rant but frankly I don’t get the Academy’s obsession with Frances McDormand at all. She seemed to have zero gratitude for winning and didn’t even bring attention to the fellow nominees. It’s not necessary, I get it, but she herself didn’t want to win it this year. Might as well have given it to the other stellar performers who actually valued the award and to whose careers it would have made a difference.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    aahoto
    Topics:

This was my worst Oscars prediction score ever.

Terrible show. Just a bunch of people talking (presenting, speeches) for far too long with almost no visual element whatsoever.

It’s not good that the producers wouldn’t let Anthony Hopkins attend in some way. I understand rejecting Zoom but surely a live feed could have been set up (like the nominees/winners in France, Sweden etc.)? But let’s not forget that Hopkins was fully able to attend the BAFTAs and decided to paint instead. He even did online press after the show so he had access to Zoom.

And also – people disappointed in McDormand’s win aren’t “attacking” her as someone claimed a few pages back. Frances is a wonderful actress who is amazing in everything, even if in some years I wouldn’t have given her my vote. But she clearly wasn’t interested in the acting awards this year and didn’t seem like she wanted it. At all. Obviously an award shouldn’t be given to someone just because they wanted it the most. But at least try to look enthused, especially when you were part of a stellar line-up and against people who have never won before (or in Davis’ case, never won Lead).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Honey, I’m shook that black people keep submitting and attending the racist ass Oscars. PUKE!

Do you have any other setting?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    deaetee
    Topics:

I’m a bit late but did anyone happen to catch Kirk Douglas in the In Memoriam section? I can’t remember if I saw him or not

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I’m a bit late but did anyone happen to catch Kirk Douglas in the In Memoriam section? I can’t remember if I saw him or not

Last year. He closed the tribute.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

He won’t best Mikkelsen’s performance so he tried it.

We know if he’s starring in it there’s going to be a somewhat unnecessary red faced Dicaprio shouty scene lmao. I like him but it’s the truth…

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 442 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.