Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 436 through 441 (of 441 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Oscirus_Jones
Kafka_Gyllenh..
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

People still on this vote splitting thing? I’m willing to bet Frances got an overwhelming majority of votes if voters were still inclined to give Nomadland 3 Oscars. Similarly at BAFTA Nomadland lost adapted there and voters swung for Frances in actress.

Frances won because it was a split open race, her performance had passion and she had the most visibility due to being in the Best Picture frontrunner. Even if Mulligan was nominated at BAFTA and won (which I do think would have happened because why else did PYW win British Film over The Father), McDormand still would have won.

It’s a similar thing with Anthony Hopkins. I think what’s worth baring in mind in split open races is the performer with the most passion + visibility always prevails. The industry was obsessed with Olivia Colman’s performance in The Favourite, she had 2 key precursor wins and her film had 10 Oscar nominations. La Vie en Rose was a bigger contender than Away from Her.

It’s with this that I feel quite confident in saying that Davis and Mulligan (whichever way you want to put them) were second and third and Day and Kirby were fourth and fifth. With no in person campaigning it was a game of pure visibility and passion and this year’s results kind of proved that you can’t win as the lone nominee of your film unless you sweep.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Even if Mulligan was nominated at BAFTA and won (which I do think would have happened because why else did PYW win British Film over The Father), McDormand still would have won.

I really think Frances would still have won BAFTA if Mulligan was nominated. PYW winning British Film is no evidence Mulligan would’ve won there. The Original Screenplay + British Film combo was perfectly possible. Frances would still have won with BAFTA only just like Hopkins. BAFTA predicted Cottilard and Colman upsets. They’d still have predicted McDormand without the jury.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I really think Frances would still have won BAFTA if Mulligan was nominated. PYW winning British Film is no evidence Mulligan would’ve won there. The Original Screenplay + British Film combo was perfectly possible. Frances would still have won with BAFTA only just like Hopkins. BAFTA predicted Cottilard and Colman upsets. They’d still have predicted McDormand without the jury.

Could be. But we’ll never know I guess.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

I think it’s the other way around with the Academy’s growing international membership.

Yep but i think it’s both ways

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 6 posts - 436 through 441 (of 441 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.