Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 436 through 448 (of 448 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Oscirus_Jones
Kafka_Gyllenh..
  • Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Like many are saying in other forums, it’s highly likely that McDormand didn’t win having the majority of votes, all the five actress had votes split evenly since there was no definite consensus in this season.
    In other words, it was just a plurality win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

The argument that Day & Davis “split votes” is extremely problematic and racist. No one would make that assertion about any of the White nominees. If that’s the case then did Mulligan & Kirby split the British vote?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The argument that Day & Davis “split votes” is extremely problematic and racist. No one would make that assertion about any of the White nominees. If that’s the case then did Mulligan & Kirby split the British vote?

I agree.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

I’m curious who the Best Picture runner up was. Is there a consensus on here about that?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

I’m curious who the Best Picture runner up was. Is there a consensus on here about that?

i think everyone agrees it was the father.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

People still on this vote splitting thing? I’m willing to bet Frances got an overwhelming majority of votes if voters were still inclined to give Nomadland 3 Oscars. Similarly at BAFTA Nomadland lost adapted there and voters swung for Frances in actress.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Father won Actor and Adapted Screenplay over two strong frontrunners with strong narratives. It was 2nd in Picture and probably in Supporting Actress too.

Promising Young Woman was 3rd with the fact it was the only non Nomadland film to get picture, acting, directing, editing and screenplay nominations, it won the British Film BAFTA and the Screenplay Oscar and was probably top 3 in director and actress.

After that it feels hazier. One thing I do feel somewhat confident in saying is that unlike my prediction prior to the ceremony, Mank was not last.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

People still on this vote splitting thing? I’m willing to bet Frances got an overwhelming majority of votes if voters were still inclined to give Nomadland 3 Oscars. Similarly at BAFTA Nomadland lost adapted there and voters swung for Frances in actress.

Frances won because it was a split open race, her performance had passion and she had the most visibility due to being in the Best Picture frontrunner. Even if Mulligan was nominated at BAFTA and won (which I do think would have happened because why else did PYW win British Film over The Father), McDormand still would have won.

It’s a similar thing with Anthony Hopkins. I think what’s worth baring in mind in split open races is the performer with the most passion + visibility always prevails. The industry was obsessed with Olivia Colman’s performance in The Favourite, she had 2 key precursor wins and her film had 10 Oscar nominations. La Vie en Rose was a bigger contender than Away from Her.

It’s with this that I feel quite confident in saying that Davis and Mulligan (whichever way you want to put them) were second and third and Day and Kirby were fourth and fifth. With no in person campaigning it was a game of pure visibility and passion and this year’s results kind of proved that you can’t win as the lone nominee of your film unless you sweep.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Even if Mulligan was nominated at BAFTA and won (which I do think would have happened because why else did PYW win British Film over The Father), McDormand still would have won.

I really think Frances would still have won BAFTA if Mulligan was nominated. PYW winning British Film is no evidence Mulligan would’ve won there. The Original Screenplay + British Film combo was perfectly possible. Frances would still have won with BAFTA only just like Hopkins. BAFTA predicted Cottilard and Colman upsets. They’d still have predicted McDormand without the jury.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I really think Frances would still have won BAFTA if Mulligan was nominated. PYW winning British Film is no evidence Mulligan would’ve won there. The Original Screenplay + British Film combo was perfectly possible. Frances would still have won with BAFTA only just like Hopkins. BAFTA predicted Cottilard and Colman upsets. They’d still have predicted McDormand without the jury.

Could be. But we’ll never know I guess.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

BAFTAs are so americanized nowadays that whoever wins there wins Oscar, with the unique exception of Regina King and I guess Dev Patel who I suppose made sense against an African American non-full sweeper. McDormand would probably have beaten Mulligan still.

I think it’s the other way around with the Academy’s growing international membership.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

I think it’s the other way around with the Academy’s growing international membership.

Yep but i think it’s both ways

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

Yes we are all aware BAFTA doesn’t have quite a mind of its own anymore. But this year they didn’t go for the narrative/campaigned performances. (Referring to lead Actor and Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 436 through 448 (of 448 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.