Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Nominations Reactions (Part 1)

Oscars 2021 Nominations Reactions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 538 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
Kafka_Gyllenh..
Oscirus_Jones
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Chicago 7 making the Fab 5 (Picture, Directing, Cinematography, Editing, Screenplay) means it’s even a stronger threat than previously thought. But the same could be said about Nomadland.

Ummm, Chicago 7 missed Directing.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Awful is a bit drastic. It’s still massive for him and a delightful surprise, especially when you remember it might have ousted Leto.

Exactly. I’m really happy for him! It almost feels like restitution for not nominating him for Sorry to Bother You, but honestly I’ll take it, he was good in Judas and the film was set up for him to be outshined by Kaluuya so he did his job well.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    tom92
    Topics:

I got mainly 4/5s a few 5/5 and the occasional 3. All in all, not bad.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

I’ve always been not confident with One Night in Miami on my prediction since Globe’s snub, but Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom... That’s the shocker no one expect at all.

Despite all the snubs and surprises, I’m quite pleased with those beautiful lineup. Everything seems right and enough. I’m so glad they actually care about quality (The Father) in addition of narrative (J&TBM and TTOC7) and filmmaking style (Nomadland). I’m not saying that the others are bad (they all are excellent actually), but The Father is so good that it’s actually so easy to snub.

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

I’m always not confident with One Night in Miami on my prediction since Globe’s snub, but Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom... That’s the shocker no one expect at all. Despite all the snubs and surprises, I’m quite pleased with those beautiful lineup. Everything seems right and enough. I’m so glad they actually care about quality (The Father) in addition of narrative (J&TBM and TTOC7) and filmmaking style (Nomadland). I’m not saying that the others are bad (they all are excellent actually), but The Father is so good that it’s actually so easy to snub.

” no one expect at all” LOL

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I literally have spent years of my life living in sub-Saharan Africa so fuck off. Ugh Americans.

I’m South Asian, not American. And if that sentence is true, maybe you’re just massively, insanely…unobservant. Sweat + bronzer + dark skin = looks “oily”. Dark-skinned South Asians are called oily all the time too. Doesn’t take a genius to figure that shit out, but here you are derp derp I studied abroad in africa derp derp I can’t be racist

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

You’re right!! I’m so sorry, I completely forgot. Well, Nomadland is winning.

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Ma rainey being “sweaty” like that was literally the point of that movie. If anything that proves the movie did its job

Profile picture
    Manuelcolon
    Topics:

I want to make a funeral for my two favorite male performances of the year, Delroy Lindo and Tahar Rahim.

May them rest in peace on the heaven of snubbed performances that were the best of the best.

Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

My short project prediction flopped lol

Mad about Better Days from HK getting over a better Chinese film, A Sun, from Taiwan.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Yeah Argo and Green Book mean it’s not out yet. It’s a big miss, but not a killer.

Profile picture
    Celtic DW
    Topics:

Four noms for News of the World, there ya go.

Bit disappointed there was no love for David Copperfield.

Worst nom was Ma Rainey’s for makeup, with that excessive oily cleavage sweat, woman needs to see a doctor!

Turns out boy children don’t get nominated. Sorry Lil’ Kim.

What do you think Make up is???
    It’s the front runner for Hair & Make up. It’s mostly been winning everywhere else.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

On balance, I don’t think the snub for Ma Rainey is egregious. The movie genuinely has trouble being adapted from the stage to the screen. It has electric performances but as a whole, yeah I can see why.

But One Night in Miami hurts. It just does. It’s a good movie, it’s well-adapted, it’s directed with surprising restraint, and all of its performances are genuinely compelling. It’s a very good movie in a year with not many good or great ones. Honestly, I thought the Academy would nominate 5 films this year because it’s a crap year (Nomadland and Minari are sublime, ONIM, and Judas are very good—but aside from that it’s a bad year).

I’m happy for Sound of Metal. That’s a surprising one. I don’t know how I feel about the movie yet because it’s a really good indie film & I need to sit with Riz Ahmed’s performance. But I think it’s a much bolder choice than PYW.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

So let me get right, last year movies like Joker and 1917 managed to get Screenplay nominations for those dull, non-existent screenplays, but something like Mank completely missed????

I swear, these Academy people.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 538 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Nominations Reactions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.