Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Nominations Reactions (Part 1)

Oscars 2021 Nominations Reactions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 538 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
Kafka_Gyllenh..
Oscirus_Jones
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Delighted my girls Kirby and Bakalova got in despite so many doubters, latter is such an unorthodox and hopefully game-changing nomination. Kirby proved her performance resonated and was undeniable from the beginning despite the movie letting her down.

Sad for Pike and Burstyn, I’d easily switch them for those performers in movies that are certified Rotten for a reason. Also a bit sad Zeller missed in Director but at least his movie got plenty of love. Also sad Da 5 Bloods lost steam so early.

2 women in Best Director! And the nominations for Kirby, Mulligan and Bakalova are such a testament and celebration of the power of #MeToo. Abused women will no longer be silenced.

Have to admire the diversity on the men’s side too. I had no idea Lakeith was supporting in that movie.

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

I see today is the day a lot of entertainment reporters will have to learn Pakistan is also an Asian country.

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Yeah Argo and Green Book mean it’s not out yet. It’s a big miss, but not a killer.

Very true, but Argo missing directing was considered a snub by many. Don’t know if people are considering Sorkin a snub. But you’re right, it could take the Green Book vs. Roma route. The only thing is, it’s sort of the reverse: Chicago 7 is a streaming film, Nomadland is the (now rare) theatrical choice.

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

So let me get right, last year movies like Joker and 1917 managed to get Screenplay nominations for those dull, non-existent screenplays, but something like Mank completely missed???? I swear, these Academy people.

I would really like to know why Mank missed the top 5 in screenplay when it got 10 nominations in total. I wonder if it’s because it’s credited to Jack Fincher only and David was implying that it was “untouched”? I’m pretty sure he changed stuff but refused to credit himself.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I see that today is the day a lot of entertainment reporters will have learn Pakistan is also an Asian country.

lol I know. I’m Pakistani, hella happy for Riz, and always funny to be left out of the moniker “South Asian” though to be fair, it doesn’t happen as much as it happens to any other South Asian country barring India. Entertainment reporters are a particularly dull group of people.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

That One Night in Miami snub is so frustrating. Otherwise these were pretty standard

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Glenn nominated on name alone. Bit cruel to make her an 8 time loser.

She’s the female Peter O’Toole Tom.

Profile picture
    willum
    Topics:

I see today is the day a lot of entertainment reporters will have to learn Pakistan is also an Asian country.

I know it’s so weird to see people crediting Steven Yeun as the only Asian nominee when Riz Ahmed is just right there

FYC in all categories:
    - What We Do in the Shadows
    - Maid
    - Station Eleven

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m sorry but this Lakeith nomination is ridiculous? He was incredible in the film and deserving but he was also lead. And was submitted lead.

I mean what next? Anthony Hopkins in Supporting Actor? Carey Mulligan in Supporting Actress?

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

So let me get right, last year movies like Joker and 1917 managed to get Screenplay nominations for those dull, non-existent screenplays, but something like Mank completely missed???? I swear, these Academy people.

Better alternatives this year I suppose

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I’m South Asian, not American. And if that sentence is true, maybe you’re just massively, insanely…unobservant. Sweat + bronzer + dark skin = looks “oily”. Dark-skinned South Asians are called oily all the time too. Doesn’t take a genius to figure that shit out, but here you are derp derp I studied abroad in africa derp derp I can’t be racist

“Studied abroad” you couldn’t know less. How moronic. I have never heard a South Asian or Black person called oily, you’re making that up. Sweat forms beads and pools in places. I am not objecting to the presence of sweat. I also thought the hair and makeup were excellent aside from the greasy application of viscous moisturiser to her cleavage.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    Kafka_Gyllenhaal
    Topics:

Poor Tucci’s gonna have to wait another year to try to get in… his performance was great but Supporting Actor had so many great performances that it made it hard to get in… especially now that we know Lakeith was even in the running.

And Alan Kim… I’m sure he was sixth or seventh in the votes. Either way, if it was up to me, he’d have gotten in over Baron Cohen (although I did enjoy his turn as Abbie Hoffman.) Minari, minari, wonderful, wonderful.

FYC: Minari for Everything

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I would really like to know why Mank missed the top 5 in screenplay when it got 10 nominations in total. I wonder if it’s because it’s credited to Jack Fincher only and David was implying that it was “untouched”? I’m pretty sure he changed stuff but refused to credit himself.

That may have played a big role in missing today’s nominations.

Profile picture
    Kafka_Gyllenhaal
    Topics:

I’m sorry but this Lakeith nomination is ridiculous? He was incredible in the film and deserving but he was also lead. And was submitted lead. I mean what next? Anthony Hopkins in Supporting Actor?

I have so many questions about that… but for now I’m just happy he was able to get in.

FYC: Minari for Everything

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I prefer both Stanfield and Kaluuya in Supporting than in different categories tbh

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 538 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Nominations Reactions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.