Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Nominations Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 130 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
madsonmelo
  • Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

Beggars can’t be choosers. It was poorly structured, and seemed more like somebody’s fanfiction rather than a professional screenplay.

I don’t disagree but Mr. Fincher was cleary trying for that posthumous recognition for daddy while ghostwriting his screenplay.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

<i>Ma Rainey </i>and <i>One Night in Miami </i>’s under-performance was unsurprising. I was a bit shocked that the former missed but there was hardly any passion for either. People were setting themselves up for disappointment by proclaiming them as a part of a locked top 5 and declaring the latter a lock to win the Adapted Screenplay Oscar.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

People were setting themselves up for disappointment by proclaiming them as a part of a locked top 5 and declaring the latter a lock to win the Adapted Screenplay Oscar.

Who exactly was doing that? I think we had a very clear top 5 in Nomadland, Minari, Chicago 7, PYW and Mank. No other contenders besides those five were safe.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

I don’t disagree but Mr. Fincher was cleary trying for that posthumous recognition for daddy while ghostwriting his screenplay.

Fincher just needed to be less sentimental and simply give it to somebody professional for good revision. Then simply co-credit it with this person and his dead dad. But he wanted to honour his father’s writing or something.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    iWantTheGold
    Topics:

First thing’s first – it’s a disgrace that both Stanfield and Kaluuya are in the Supporting Actor category. They’re both co-LEADs, and both title characters! If you wanted to put Stanfield in supporting with Kaluuya in Lead, I could’ve lived with that, but as it stands I suppose that means Jesse Plemons was supporting an actor in a supporting role(?) How on earth this Category Fraud happened is beyond me, the Academy needs to seriously crack down on this, it’s completely unfair to true Supporting Actors, the category shouldn’t be a consolation prize for those who weren’t good enough to get into lead/a way to jockey an actor into an Oscar they wouldn’t have won otherwise.

Otherwise, I did feel pretty good about how I did in the major categories (called Vinterberg). Kicking myself for not dropping Ma Rainey (had it 10th), but with Chadwick being favored + all the crafts, I just couldn’t do it. Should’ve gone with my gut that they weren’t going to go for a movie titled Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. Also should’ve gone with my extremely cynical gut that they weren’t going to nominate three “Black” Movies in Picture, and that the one that would get in would be the Studio Movie (thought I had Judas 8th, but apparently I had it behind Miami at 9th). No guts no glory.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    unown
    Topics:

I just wanted to say what was that mess from Chopra and Jonas. Painful to watch them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    esteban
    Topics:

I just wanted to say what was that mess from Chopra and Jonas. Painful to watch them.

I disagree. I thought they did a good job.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mi_gi_1988
    Topics:

Foster losing Oscar nod after winning GG didn’t happen in 44 years WTF

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emre Tezcan
    Topics:

My general views on the 93rd Academy Awards Nominations :

* Best Picture: First of all, since the beginning of the award season, two of the productions that have been in the forefront since the beginning of the award season, since 8 films were nominated this year: One Night in Miami and Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom were not included in the 8 productions, which was disappointing. If there were any nominations, I think these two films would be guaranteed to be nominated in the film category…
    The nomination of 3 films whose nominations are not very clear in this category is also due to the breakthrough they made in the award season :

Judas, who was expected to be nominated in 3 categories, won 6 nominations, Promising Young Woman’s golden globe, continued rise with BAFTA and resulted in 5 nominations and Sound of Metal was nominated in 6 categories, showing that these 3 films are the real winners in nominations this year Of course, it was a nice surprise that Druk was nominated for best director…

* Best Director: Druk and Thomas Vinterberg’s nomination is somewhat unexpected, but Promising Young Woman and Emerald Fennell’s nomination has been anticipated for the past 2 months. Regina King’s nomination for One Night in Miami was expected and anticipated. Unfortunately, the number of female directors who received nominations in this category was 2 instead of 3..

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DvirBA
    Topics:

Ludwig Goransson was robbed for OST for “Tenet”. I mean, come on. It was better than at least half of the films nominated. It’s like they’ll ignore anything that has “Christopher Nolan” on it no matter what….

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I disagree. I thought they did a good job.

Nah, they were fine. Just read the nominees and called it a day. No stupid monologues or jokes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Ludwig Goransson was robbed for OST for “Tenet”. I mean, come on. It was better than at least half of the films nominated. It’s like they’ll ignore anything that has “Christopher Nolan” on it no matter what….

Yeah that’s a ridiculous snubs. Luckily the one one that wasn’t anticipated.

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emre Tezcan
    Topics:

Positive Surprise :

* Judas and the Black Messiah
    * Promising Young Woman
    * Sound of Metal
    * Druk
    * Soul

Disappointments – Losers :

* One Night in Miami
    * Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    * Da 5 Bloods

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

It’s still got two nominations. Previous Nolan effort was loved by the Academy. Don’t rewrite history. Nolan got buried under his megalomania about saving cinema etc.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

The Glenn Close legacy voter bloc is greater than you haters.

Close got a whole political party to herself as well. She may very well win this time

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.