Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 495 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
methaddiction
crabbie
SN
  • Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

I literally google’d my favourite actress and this was the first pic I found, because I didnt’ have a profile pic. You people are so paranoid, I didn’t even know crabbie had that profile pic.

Incredible that it’s cropped and centred exactly the same but.

Anyway pretending for a sec that you’re being sincere, how about now that you know, you change it to another picture?

Profile picture
    Lady Jane Grey
    Topics:

I guarantee you all that Academy members couldn’t give a flying fuck that Boseman was in Black Panther. Being in a subpar superhero film that made a ton of money and was only nominated because of its technical prowess/’Best Popular Film’ category backlash does not mean that he will automatically garner more votes. If he wins, he will win on the merit of his performance and because AMPAS believed he was the best. The circumstances surrounding his death will have a bigger impact on the number of votes he receives, as opposed to the few Marvel films in an otherwise limited and pedestrian filmography.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Everyone who’s still predicting Boseman, I’ve got a question for you:
    How can you explain him losing BAFTA to a two time winner?

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

Everyone who’s still predicting Boseman, I’ve got a question for you:
    How can you explain him losing BAFTA to a two time winner?

The fondness for Boseman is an American thing. Think Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side. The American industry wanted to reward her while BAFTA rather award a performance they loved from their own.

Profile picture
    Lady Jane Grey
    Topics:

The fondness for Boseman is an American thing.

So why did Glenn Close lose to Olivia Colman despite being American, a legend in the industry, having a giant narrative, and winning all the precursors sans BAFTA?

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Everyone who’s still predicting Boseman, I’ve got a question for you: How can you explain him losing BAFTA to a two time winner?

Bafta preferred that performance.  Chadwick still has three precursor wins, how is he not the favorite?

Before someone brings up Coleman or Arkin, same thing I previously said in regards to posthumous Oscar winners.  Sole Bafta winners have lost the Oscar more times than they won it so precedent should dictate Boseman being the favorite.

Profile picture
    Woody
    Topics:

It’s completely relevant. By that logic, we should just ignore all precursors and predict what we want lol. Nobody is saying Hopkins isn’t worthy to win a second Oscar. I really think he’d be winning if Chadwick wasn’t dead. But the fact is, second winners usually sweep the precursors and Hopkins only won BAFTA. And the person who won the other precursors is a beloved dead actor.

You’re missing the point entirely and going on about precursors. Before any award was given out people were talking about Anthony Hopkins already having a win and because of that him not “needing” to win again.

He’s an actor playing a part, not an actual deity. Just because this part was more prestigious/known than most black parts doesnt mean that he’s deserving of anything other than the fame that would come from doing such a thing. This insinuation that he should be recognized for something that he’s not even nominated for is a bit ludicrous. Yes, the circumstances surrounding his death were tragic, probably more tragic than most, but that still has nothing to do with this oscar. If you think BLM is going to have an influence on the oscars decisions, I have a bridge to sell ya. The fact still remains that posthumous oscar winners are rare. Until proved otherwise through action, being dead and up for an oscar is not an advantage.

People get recognised for things they weren’t nominated for all the time, people have been winning makeup Oscars for decades. And his tragic death does have something to do with his Oscar chances, the amount of people who want to honour him with a win is something that cant be ignored. Netflix released a whole documentary about people talking about how great he was to get him a win.

Also BLM is going to have an influence on the whole of the Oscars in general not just Boseman

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

So why did Glenn Close lose to Olivia Colman despite being American, a legend in the industry, having a giant narrative, and winning all the precursors sans BAFTA?

There are always exceptions to the rule without becoming the rule. Which is why Coleman’s win was so shocking. Most precursor wins almost always signal the winner.

Hopkins has the best shot at upsetting Boseman out of the other 4. However Oscars are often about who has the best narrative and I think Netflix is playing up legacy which should be enough to push Boseman in the final lap. I could be wrong and I would love to see Hopkins win.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

“voters won’t care he died”, “he wasn’t an icon”, “his filmography wasn’t that great”, “most posthumous nominees don’t win”… The mental gymnastics people here do.

Chadwick was a beloved actor and Black Panther was the main reason for that. Like it or not, Black Panther was a hugely successful film and the first blockbuster with a mostly black cast. In times where superheroes are everywhere, it represented something for millions of people. You may not care about Black Panther, but industry and general audiences did. Hollywood felt his loss. That’s simply a fact. He represented something huge and died young. His death wasn’t something we see every year.

So, after winning the Globe, CC and SAG and having an extraordinary narrative that exists like you or not, winning BAFTA is not that important.

Hopkins performance is my favorite in the category, but predicting him is wishful thinking IMO.

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Incredible that it’s cropped and centred exactly the same but. Anyway pretending for a sec that you’re being sincere, how about now that you know, you change it to another picture?

Nope. This is my profile picture, I don’t really care if you have an issue with it.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

The Glenn Close train only took off after the Globe win which Olivia Colman also won. The precursors then followed Close but Critics Choice was reluctant to determine if she was the frontrunner at the time so she had a weak tie with Lady Gaga. People also like to forget Colman won a Volpi cup and was backed by critics.

Boseman has been in the conversation since Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom announcement. Boseman has 28 Awards in the season backed by critics, Globes, AACTA, Critics Choice, and SAG. Close has much more clout within her own acting circle seeing how her film only got 1 nomination while Ma Rainey got in at other tech categories.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Bafta preferred that performance. Chadwick still has three precursor wins, how is he not the favorite? Before someone brings up Coleman or Arkin, same thing I previously said in regards to posthumous Oscar winners. Sole Bafta winners have lost the Oscar more times than they won it so precedent should dictate Boseman being the favorite.

Coleman also wasn’t a sole BAFTA winner. She won the Comedy Globe as well.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

“voters won’t care he died”, “he wasn’t an icon”, “his filmography wasn’t that great”, “most posthumous nominees don’t win”… The mental gymnastics people here do. Chadwick was a beloved actor and Black Panther was the main reason for that. Like it or not, Black Panther was a hugely successful film and the first blockbuster with a mostly black cast. In times where superheroes are everywhere, it represented something for millions of people. You may not care about Black Panther, but industry and general audiences did. Hollywood felt his loss. That’s simply a fact. He represented something huge and died young. His death wasn’t something we see every year. So, after winning the Globe, CC and SAG and having an extraordinary narrative that exists like you or not, winning BAFTA is not that important. Hopkins performance is my favorite in the category, but predicting him is wishful thinking IMO.

I understand that this movie means a lot to a bunch of people, but let’s not exaggerate here. The industry clearly didn’t go for it as much as this post suggested it and the general audience reception was average all around (7.3 on IMDB, 79% on Rotten Tomatoes, 3.7 on Letterboxd, 6.3 on Metascore). It was highlighted for its revolutionary casting and creative achievements, but it wasn’t a Titanic nor a Moonlight. It was never seen as a great movie.

Industry people will always be skeptical of genre films, and Black Panther is no different. I also remember Letitia Wright, Danai Gurira, and shockingly Michael B. Jordan (I thought he was the weakest) highlighted in the cast, not Chadwick Boseman.

So while it’s the film and the role that gave him universal visibility, and that’s what most people remember from his filmography (since unfortunately there wasn’t much there to remember, Chadwick was just starting to really explode in Hollywood), that doesn’t mean that this contributes to his current front-runner status. His performance in Black Panther didn’t generate Oscar buzz, so it’s kind of surreal to think that all of a sudden, his Black Panther’s legacy (that, like I said, is meaningful for many people) would be the primary reason why he will win in a few days.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I do agree that Chadwick wasn’t a star like Viola Davis is, for example, even if he was in a Marvel movie. If you say her name at any place, most people will known who she is. Most people referred to Chadwick only as “Black Panther”. I’m talking about general people.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I do agree that Chadwick wasn’t a star like Viola Davis is, for example, even if he was in a Marvel movie. If you say her name at any place, most people will known who she is. Most people referred to Chadwick only as “Black Panther”. I’m talking about general people.

The point I was trying to make is that people don’t consider Chadwick’s actual Ma Rainey performance in their arguments. He’s been winning not only the precursors but critics awards as well. So yes, his performance is considered just as good as Hopkins’ or Ahmed’s by the general consensus.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.