Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 499 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
methaddiction
crabbie
SN
  • Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Avatar was much leggier than BP and its 2.7B globally twice the boxoffice that BP had. It also scored more above the line nominations. Yet most people don’t think much of it now.

I think that’s the point that Piper Halliwell is trying to make, that how BP was received in 2018, and how it’s seen now are two different things. Shine wore off so it doesn’t factor in Boseman’s win beyond, well, people know who he is and might care that he gets awarded cause there will be no other chance. It isn’t a make up for not being considered for the Actor for BP since he absolutely didn’t merit such consideration (as already mentioned by others Jordan, Wright and Gurira were singled out).

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Avatar was much leggier than BP and its 2.7B globally twice the boxoffice that BP had. It also scored more above the line nominations. Yet most people don’t think much of it now. I think that’s the point that Piper Halliwell is trying to make, that how BP was received in 2018, and how it’s seen now are two different things. Shine wore off so it doesn’t factor in Boseman’s win beyond, well, people know who he is and might care that he gets awarded cause there will be no other chance. It isn’t a make up for not being considered for the Actor for BP since he absolutely didn’t merit such consideration (as already mentioned by others Jordan, Wright and Gurira were singled out).

Thank you, yes. The point I was trying to make that although Boseman’s legacy is mostly about Black Panther, this legacy will have no effect on his Oscar win as the consensus (all industry & critics & audience) seem to highlight his Ma Rainey performance as an achievement on its own!

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Thank you, yes. The point I was trying to make that although Boseman’s legacy is mostly about Black Panther, this legacy will have no effect on his Oscar win as the consensus (all industry & critics & audience) seem to highlight his Ma Rainey performance as an achievement on its own!

He he, exact reason why Davis have been in his shadow. It’s seen as his movie, his show.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Audience ratings are not useless

Question is, IMDb, RT and others are far from a perfect representative of the general audience opinion. Otherwise, 1917 would be talked these days because it has high IMDb and RT scores.

Avatar was much leggier than BP and its 2.7B globally twice the boxoffice that BP had. It also scored more above the line nominations. Yet most people don’t think much of it now.

Avatar was a phenomenon like nothing else and shouldn’t really be compared with anything these days in terms of box office.

My point is that IMDb and RT are not a great indicative of audiences opinions about big studio films in comparison with box office legs and word of mouth. If those sites were a good reflection of what’s discussed these days, 1917 wouldn’t be a mostly forgotten film. Ditto for Avatar. It has better ratings on these sites than Black Panther.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

And his tragic death does have something to do with his Oscar chances, the amount of people who want to honour him with a win is something that cant be ignored. Netflix released a whole documentary about people talking about how great he was to get him a win. Also BLM is going to have an influence on the whole of the Oscars in general not just Boseman

It has nothing to do with anything. Didnt help James dean, didnt help Spencer tracy or the myriad of post humous nominations  that weren’t heath ledger or finch ( both of who won on their own merits), and it wont help chadwick. If Chadwick wins, it’ll be because people thought that was the best performance not this bullshit about people feeling sympathy for him.

And if blm had such an impact on the Oscars that blacks absolutely had to be nominated/win, one of regina or shaka king wouldve been an oscar nominee and both ma rainey and one night in miami wouldve won.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Avatar was a phenomenon like nothing else and shouldn’t really be compared with anything these days in terms of box office. My point is that IMDb and RT are not a great indicative of audiences opinions about blockbusters in comparison with box office legs and word of mouth. If these sites were a good reflection of what’s discussed these days, 1917 wouldn’t be a mostly forgotten film. Ditto for Avatar. It has better ratings on these sites than Black Panther.

But you are talking about legacies and cult-following, and we are talking about general reception based on the product itself. You can have a critically acclaimed, industry-wise more important & more appreciated film next to a film like Hocus Pocus that has a cult-following effect. Both types of movies can exist next to one another, but that doesn’t make the one with cult-following a better film in the eyes of the film industry.

1917 is liked by the audience and it’s considered a much better film than Black Panther (don’t ask me why, I thought 1917 was really mediocre), but it’s not that type of movie that would have a cult-following later on. Avatar is a different matter, although Cameron made a huge mistake by not having the sequel out in time. Now, the magic is gone.

Profile picture
    Woody
    Topics:

It has nothing to do with anything. Didnt help James dean, didnt help Spencer tracy or the myriad of post humous nominations that weren’t heath ledger or finch ( both of who won on their own merits), and it wont help chadwick. If Chadwick wins, it’ll be because people thought that was the best performance not this bullshit about people feeling sympathy for him. And if blm had such an impact on the Oscars that blacks absolutely had to be nominated/win, one of regina or shaka king wouldve been an oscar nominee and both ma rainey and one night in miami wouldve won.

I’ve already explained how Chadwick Boseman’s death and overall narrative is different to other posthumous nominees so I’m not going to keep going over it again other than saying that yes it does help him.

And nobody said anything about the black nominees “absolutely being nominated or winning” i just said that it will have an impact which it will as the current political/social climate always does have an impact on these things

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

I’ve already explained how Chadwick Boseman’s death and overall narrative is different to other posthumous nominees so I’m not going to keep going over it again other than saying that yes it does help him. And nobody said anything about the black nominees “absolutely being nominated or winning” i just said that it will have an impact which it will as the current political/social climate always does have an impact on these things

Except it’s not. James deen coming off a  similar narrative and a movie just as important to that era was given two chances to be rewarded but didnt  but sure Chadwick is somehow more  special.

Sounds to me like people are out here trying to diminish bosemans win if it happens by just summing it up as a sympathy win.

Profile picture
    Woody
    Topics:

Except it’s not. James deen coming off a similar narrative and a movie just as important to that era was given two chances to be rewarded but didnt but sure Chadwick is somehow more special. Sounds to me like people are out here trying to diminish bosemans win if it happens by just summing it up as a sympathy win.

All posthumous nominees are different with different situations and narratives behind them, Even people who are alive win due to narrative more so than performance so the idea that if Chadwick or anybody wins it’s wholly because the voters truly believed they were the best is wishful thinking.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

6 Oscar nominations from which 5 was for creative categories. No audience ratings over 80% for such obviously liked genre film. Yes, it tells a lot about Black Panther‘s reception. People cannot separate important & praised casting & cultural importance and the actual films’ worth based on the general audience, critics, industry consensus.

6 Oscar nominations, 5 for techs, a feat that no film in this genre has ever achieved. The audience ratings are literally irrelevant when it smashed the box office and ended records left and right. That tells you more about how loved it was by audiences than incels on IMDB or RT (or GoldDerby for that matter).

What you’re saying essentially amounts to “it earned money because people went to check it out, but didn’t like it” which is absurd considering the sheer amount of money it made for being “just another marvel movie”.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

I’m kind of happy that Anthony will probably be peacefully sleeping when this thing airs. Like he is saying: “Bitches, I’m Hannibal Lecter. Bye”

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

If I were him, I wouldn’t be sleeping. Tony can win.

Profile picture
    Dr. Manhattan
    Topics:

All this chatter about Chadwick Boseman’s performance, passing, and legacy not being enough to win him an Oscar seems to be conveniently forgetting that Boseman won at SAG, the Golden Globes, and Critics’ Choice. Yes, Anthony Hopkins won at BAFTA and that definitely makes him a threat to win, but Boseman also defeated Hopkins three times in those aforementioned awards shows. Regardless of your opinion on the man and his body of work, from a purely statistical point of view, Boseman remains the favorite to take the Oscar home.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

The Jeff Bridges/Colin Firth year is perfectly comparable with this year. Boseman has an even bigger narrative than Bridges.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.