Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 499 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
methaddiction
crabbie
SN
  • Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

The Jeff Bridges/Colin Firth year is perfectly comparable with this year. Boseman has an even bigger narrative than Bridges.

It’s a valid comparison, but Firth was the sole nominee of his film.

Profile picture
    Aurelius
    Topics:

Avatar was much leggier than BP and its 2.7B globally twice the boxoffice that BP had. It also scored more above the line nominations. Yet most people don’t think much of it now. I think that’s the point that Piper Halliwell is trying to make, that how BP was received in 2018, and how it’s seen now are two different things. Shine wore off so it doesn’t factor in Boseman’s win beyond, well, people know who he is and might care that he gets awarded cause there will be no other chance. It isn’t a make up for not being considered for the Actor for BP since he absolutely didn’t merit such consideration (as already mentioned by others Jordan, Wright and Gurira were singled out).

Thats because everyone just went to see Avatar for the effects. I still see people in Black Panther t-shirts and stuff walking around the street, it had a way bigger cultural impact.

Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

The people who have never even nominated Denzel decided Hopkins, a British (?) legend in a huge comeback (with Two Popes just last year) was the winner in a country, continent or world that didn’t really care as much for Black Panther. That film was never as huge in the rest of the world, remember its foreign vs domesctic box office? And Boseman never showed up in something the rest of the world actually saw or remembers or cares about.

People continually use the word “icon” or “legend” because of one (just one) very popular movie in the US. And then, without a doubt, he’s a cultural icon, but again, basically in the US.

And once again, like with 42, Get on Up, I suppose Marshall and others, he ended up with yet another very American film.

The Oscars, an American award, yes, from the US, will reward him. Brits didn’t really have or need to do that.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

The people who have never even nominated Denzel decided Hopkins, a British (?) legend in a huge comeback (with Two Popes just last year) was the winner in a country, continent or world that didn’t really care as much for Black Panther. That film was never as huge in the rest of the world, remember its foreign vs domesctic box office? And Boseman never showed up in something the rest of the world actually saw or remembers or cares about. People continually use the word “icon” or “legend” because of one (just one) very popular movie in the US. And then, without a doubt, he’s a cultural icon, but again, basically in the US. And once again, like with 42, Get on Up, I suppose Marshall and others, he ended up with yet another very American film. The Oscars, an American award, yes, from the US, will reward him. Brits didn’t really have or need to do that.

This. Hopkins is a British legend with a BAFTA fellowship award. I think a more interesting race would be Riz Ahmed vs Chadwick Boseman at BAFTA. I would give the latter a greater likelihood to win.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

The people who have never even nominated Denzel decided Hopkins, a British (?) legend in a huge comeback (with Two Popes just last year) was the winner in a country, continent or world that didn’t really care as much for Black Panther. That film was never as huge in the rest of the world, remember its foreign vs domesctic box office? And Boseman never showed up in something the rest of the world actually saw or remembers or cares about.

People continually use the word “icon” or “legend” because of one (just one) very popular movie in the US. And then, without a doubt, he’s a cultural icon, but again, basically in the US.

And once again, like with 42, Get on Up, I suppose Marshall and others, he ended up with yet another very American film.

The Oscars, an American award, yes, from the US, will reward him. Brits didn’t really have or need to do that.

Exactly. Boseman is not as beloved in the UK as he is the US.

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

I think the “BAFTA scare” only applies when the race is wide open. I just cant even see Hopkins getting half as many votes as Chadwick, even with that british bloc supporting Anthony. We must be really bored here…

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Anthony will be a strong second, but Chad will ultimately prevail. The Oscars don’t really need that kind of backlash.

Profile picture
    maxinho
    Topics:

There won’t be any backlash if Anthony snatches Best Actor from Chadwick, the supporting ones will go to POC anyway. If there’s a category where an upset like that could happen is that one and it will be deserving.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

I’m sticking with Chadwick Boseman. Goob job to those of you who are predicting Hopkins if he manages to win, but I’m not convinced at all.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

I’ve seen so many posts about “backlash” if X or Y doesn’t win. Give me a break. Not everyone has a 7-year-old mentality. Most categories are locked. Take a nap and clear your mind.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

American voters need to come through for Boseman darlings.. because we all know British people would rather die than vote for someone who isn’t one of their own.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

American voters need to come through for Boseman darlings.. because we all know British people would rather die than vote for someone who isn’t one of their own.

They gave wins for two British actors, one Korean actress, one American actress. A Chinese-American director & an American drama film.

So maybe…just maybe…they preferred Hopkins over Boseman and it wasn’t about them “going with their own”.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

They gave wins to two British actors, one Korean actress, one American actress. A Chinese-American director & an American drama film. So maybe…just maybe…they preferred Hopkins over Boseman and it wasn’t about them “going with their own”.

Darling they didn’t want to see a dead Black man win the Oscar on his last chance and are trying to sabotage that so they gave it to the old white man in the category over multiple PoC.. it’s not a good look for them but it’s also not surprising and don’t even get me started on them giving the Best Actress to an old White woman over 4 Black actresses… they’re garbage.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.