Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 499 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
methaddiction
crabbie
SN
  • Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

You’re over-selling it. It was a great award worthy performance but all-time great? Not really

for the season.

A Lady Gaga DEVOTEE

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

The only category at the BAFTAs that needed a black winner badly was best actress. McDormand does nothing spectacular in that overrated film. It pains me that BAFTA nominated a record breaking four black women in that category and still gave it to an undeserving former winner just because she’s white and the likeliest of the nominees to upset at the Oscars. They need to stop nominating black women entirely like they pay deaf ears to Denzel. It pains me that Woodard, Bakray, Blank and Mosaku all lost to an over glorified simple performance. Terrible!! That said, Sir Anthony Hopkins truly deserved his win. Being a British legend helped, but her deserved it

Honestly, this is called the double standard. Just because you personally find Nomadland and McDormand overrated, you start supporting that user’s idea of a race-related decision, while you are upset that he’d dare to say the same thing about Hopkins, because you personally find his performance superb.

So what is your argument here? That’s it’s racist to reward two of the most acclaimed performances of the year, or that it’s only racist if they reward McDormand, because you don’t like her?

Profile picture
    GODlore
    Topics:

Darling they didn’t want to see a dead Black man win the Oscar on his last chance and are trying to sabotage that so they gave it to the old white man in the category over multiple PoC.. it’s not a good look for them but it’s also not surprising and don’t even get me started on them giving the Best Actress to an old White woman over 4 Black actresses… they’re garbage.

The same old white actress that was #1 on your GD ballot during nominations? Aren’t you voting for Mulligan and Bakalova (over a Korean frontrunner) to win?

Where was this desire to recognise pocs when historically you were just voting for white women yourself in the lead categories based on your GD award history?

This fake outrage is the reason why we can’t have actual conversations around race here because people (mostly white) use it to further their own agendas. You are not the first to do this, nor you will be the last alas.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The same old white actress that was #1 on your GD ballot during nominations? Aren’t you voting for Mulligan and Bakalova (over a Korean frontrunner) to win? Where was this desire to recognise pocs when historically you were just voting for white women yourself in the lead categories based on your GD award history? This fake outrage is the reason why we can’t have actual conversations around race here because people (mostly white) use it to further their own agendas. You are not the first to do this, nor you will be the last alas.

I picked Bakalova because she’s the only nominee that I’ve seen in that category 💀 I’m not against Youn getting recognition at all and I’ve said that before. And like I said earlier I love McDormand but it looked shady for BAFTA to have 4 Black actress nominees and not give it to one of them for the first time ever..but whatever. Thank god this season is almost over.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

And the best performance wins every year? Tell that to most of the winners 💀

Well, at the end everything is subjective, for me the best performance won last year, this year is more complicated because there’s a posthumous win involved and we will never know if it was a sympathy win or a truly deserving winner, I know actors in the past have been nominated posthumous and they didn’t win, but those were different times.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Honestly, this is called the double standard. Just because you personally find Nomadland and McDormand overrated, you start supporting that user’s idea of a race-related decision, while you are upset that he’d dare to say the same thing about Hopkins, because you personally find his performance superb. So what is your argument here? That’s it’s racist to reward two of the most acclaimed performances of the year, or that it’s only racist if they reward McDormand, because you don’t like her?

It’s no double standard as I was being honest. Is it fair that no black woman has ever won best actress there? Black women even hardly get nominated there as they only nominate them when they’re 100% locked for Oscar nomination. They brought in the useless jury thing this year to look diverse only with their nominations. They had black actresses scattered all over the category only to deny them the win in the end. It’s terrible cos those women deserved. I was against him attacking Hopkins because a win for Hopkins was actually deserved while that of McDormand just made no sense. I don’t want to know if she won all the critics awards in sight. Sally Hawkins ruled the critics circle during the 2018 season, but lost the BAFTA to same McDormand because they knew Hawkins wasn’t winning the Oscar after losing the precursors. So it’s not about being a critics darling. People need to stop saying that “most acclaimed performance of the year” thing.

A Lady Gaga DEVOTEE

Profile picture
    Yahorabasetoke
    Topics:

I love how people think that anyone outside Bosman has a vestige of a chance!! Deluuuuuusion

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

while that of McDormand just made no sense. I don’t want to know if she won all the critics awards in sight. Sally Hawkins ruled the critics circle during the 2018 season, but lost the BAFTA to same McDormand

Three Billboards and Nomadland won Best Film at BAFTA. It really is not that surprising Frances tagged along for the ride at BAFTA. Chiwetel Ejiofor also coattailed a 12 Years A Slave BAFTA Best Film win when his biggest competitor (Matthew McConaughey) was snubbed just like Davis and Mulligan were snubbed this year. It is not rocket science Frances won.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

It’s no double standard as I was being honest. Is it fair that no black woman has ever won best actress there? Black women even hardly get nominated there as they only nominate them when they’re 100% locked for Oscar nomination. They brought in the useless jury thing this year to look diverse only with their nominations. They had black actresses scattered all over the category only to deny them the win in the end. It’s terrible cos those women deserved. I was against him attacking Hopkins because a win for Hopkins was actually deserved while that of McDormand just made no sense. I don’t want to know if she won all the critics awards in sight. Sally Hawkins ruled the critics circle during the 2018 season, but lost the BAFTA to same McDormand because they knew Hawkins wasn’t winning the Oscar after losing the precursors. So it’s not about being a critics darling. People need to stop saying that “most acclaimed performance of the year” thing.

Again, your preferences don’t matter here. McDormand’s win made just as much sense as Hopkins’s, actually even more, because, once again, we are talking about a Best Film & Best Director film winner and the most visible contender. Voters have seen and loved Nomadland, and McDormand in it. She wasn’t just some random white actress stealing a prize from a black woman. McDormand’s performance is one of the most acclaimed, if not the most acclaimed this season. Her film is the strongest film this season. That is a killer combo.

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

Her royal Highness Frances McDormand is not getting dragged into this sappy race debate. The cookout is happening BECAUSE of her….okaayyy???

Leave my girl alone.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Stop disrespecting other actors because your fave didnt win ONE pre-cursor. I‘m still predicting Boseman for the Oscar. Some of you have a tendency to project your dislike for an award show onto a nominee like suddenly „fuck the baftas“ becomes „fuck sir anthony hopkins“ and that doesnt sit right with me. + Hopkins is such a sweet person just minding his own business painting in Wales and y‘all are over here attacking him like he just commited some hate crime. Simmer down. Can‘t wait for this season to be over.

Profile picture
    Lady Jane Grey
    Topics:

methaddiction is the nost fucking pathetic user I have ever encountered on this website. Worthless sack of dogshit.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

methaddiction is the nost fucking pathetic user I have ever encountered on this website. Worthless sack of dogshit.

Profile picture
    Monty
    Topics:

I feel confident that Hopkins is the frontrunner now.
    1. SAG has passion for Ma Rainey where it is nominated for best ensemble cast but academy doesn’t. The Father even has a fighting chance to win Adapted Screenplay and Editing.
    2. Best Actor is a prestigious award and no one is supposed to win by underwhelming, film wise and performance wise. You know an upset is brewing if most poeple said this is one of the best performance, which in itself is the STRONEST NARRATIVE.
    3. Yes, Hopkins did win before but his previous win is one of the most deserved wins in this category in a brilliant movie. This is not a hindrance to his second Oscar.
    4. Many great actors and legends passed away with no competitive Oscar. Cary Grant, Greta Garbo, Judy Garland, Marlene Dietrich, just to name a few.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.