Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 499 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
methaddiction
crabbie
SN
  • Profile picture
    Delilah
    Topics:

Yeah I don’t think Anthony Hopkins is going to pull an Olivia Colman because unlike Glenn Close, Chadwick Boseman was actually in a film that the Academy has seen and liked enough to nominate in multiple different categories.

Except Best Picture and Adapted Screenplay, two categories it could’ve easily gotten into but didn’t.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Sunday 

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Sunday

And the Oscar goes to Gary Oldman and Steven Yeun!

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

And the Oscar goes to Gary Oldman and Steven Yeun.

Profile picture
    Dr. Manhattan
    Topics:

Except Best Picture and Adapted Screenplay, two categories it could’ve easily gotten into but didn’t.

You’re missing the point. Voters have still seen it. Yes, it was predicted to get both of those nominations but didn’t. However, Ma Rainey has picked up a bunch of nominations, won awards at a handful of guilds, and has been generally buzzed about. It’s a far stronger contender than The Wife, which no one really saw or buzzed about outside of Glenn Close as a potential Best Actress winner.

Is The Father a stronger contender than Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom? Absolutely. I don’t think there’s any question about that. However, Ma Rainey is still a pretty robust contender on its own. Couple that with Chadwick Boseman’s narrative as a Best Actor winner and he remains in a good position to win the Oscar.

Profile picture
    Delilah
    Topics:

You’re missing the point.

Nope.

Is The Father a stronger contender than Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom? Absolutely.

That^ is the point. The Wife has no bearing here since it is a completely different film from another year in another category. The Father is a stronger contender and judging by the reception the Academy liked it more than MRBB.

Now liking The Father more is probably not enough to stop Boseman’s momentum but let’s not pretend the Academy wholly embraced MRBB.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Hopkins team confirmed that he won’t attend the Oscars. If he wins, Olivia Colman will accept on his behalf (in London).

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/oscar-show-producers-press-conference-what-we-know-1234631035/

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Hopkins team confirmed that he won’t attend the Oscars. If he wins, Olivia Colman will accept on his behalf (in London). https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/oscar-show-producers-press-conference-what-we-know-1234631035/

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

That couldn’t be set up more perfectly for an upset moment.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

That couldn’t be set up more perfectly for an upset moment.

It would be awful if they did that if Boseman‘s family is there.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Olivia at 4AM in London in the case of an Anthony win:

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

It would be awful if they did that if Boseman‘s family is there.

I seriously doubt Boseman loses. I am 90% sure he takes it.

Profile picture
    Dr. Manhattan
    Topics:

Now liking The Father more is probably not enough to stop Boseman’s momentum but let’s not pretend the Academy wholly embraced MRBB.

This was my point, dude. Yes, The Father is stronger, but Ma Rainey is still robust in its own right that them recognizing Hopkins’ film more than Boseman’s film, to quote you, “is probably not enough to stop Boseman’s momentum.”

Profile picture
    iWantTheGold
    Topics:

So Tom O’Neil put Hopkins at #1 for a while, then switched back to Boseman. I really wanna know what he heard that gave him cold feet.

Unless somehow he knows, my guess is it’s related to the Oscars: After Dark post-show being co-hosted by Colman Domingo. Gonna be awkward as hell if Boseman loses….

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.