Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 499 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
methaddiction
crabbie
SN
  • Profile picture
    Lady Jane Grey
    Topics:

I think it’s fairly clear by now that Boseman’s entire campaign rests on sentimentality, sympathy, and a desire to honour his legacy (despite his limited filmography). I believe that if the majority of AMPAS members vote for who they believe gave the best performance, Hopkins will win. But if they succumb to the allure of honouring Boseman simply out of sympathy, or are concerned with the optics of an old white man winning his second Oscar over a young black actor who passed away in a year rife with racial tensions and cultural wars, then Boseman will win. It’s entirely dependent on how voters decide to vote – for sympathy or for the best performance. I’m cautiously optimistic.

Profile picture
    Jason Travis
    Topics:

Just last year Hopkins was nominated. He also has an upcoming movie featuring Oscar winners of cinematography and costumes. He will return. Boseman does not have another chance.

Wow I just have to say I admire ALL your points, and agree that its true- they have gone with the flow like with Sandra Bullock, and I DID NOT know that he had an upcoming movie with cinematography and costumes 🙂 Those help! And I’m glad you said that. I know I’m being a bit fan boyish with Hopkins, and if he loses the Oscar- I am glad he has some gold on his mantel. And it doesn’t take away from the love and appreciation I have for his work.

My favorite films still remain Gone with the Wind, Thelma & Louise, A League of Their Own, Jacob’s Ladder, Bringing Up Baby and The Shining. And only Gone with the Wind is a best pic winner. The others weren’t even cited. So I’ll get over this loss if it happens, but someone has to root for the Hopkins camp and I don’t mind cheering him on!

PS- Are you really Michelle Williams campaign manager? If so, kudos! I absolutely love this actress, and I find her best work for me remains Blue Valentine, which changes for the better each time I view her. She doesn’t have to be loud to emote these incredible emotions and feelings, and they aren’t always likable. But they make her human. And even in Manchester by the Sea, my gosh she was just breathtaking in her limited minutes.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    17K Subscribers, 33 Million Views

FYC: Anthony Hopkins, The Father

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

And I’m glad you said that. I know I’m being a bit fan boyish with Hopkins, and if he loses the Oscar- I am glad he has some gold on his mantel.

I understand that sentiment very well. I was really rooting for Michelle Williams to miraculously win the Oscar. It’s a shame there is always an amazing performance but it comes at the wrong time since it was Viola Davis year that year. Same with Hopkins. had this performance come out in a different year he would have been winning this year easily.

PS- Are you really Michelle Williams campaign manager?

LOL I wish. I’m just a huge fan of her work. You should watch the Carey Mulligan SNL monologue if you haven’t already, she made a joke how she gets mistaken for Michelle Williams often; it was adorable.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

the BAFTA win for Hopkins + the Ma Rainey snub are strong signals and should not be ignored

that being said, I’m going with Boseman ’til the end. That narrative is simply way too big. But yes, I’ll admit that I would love a Hopkins (or an Ahmed) upset.

Profile picture
    Jason Travis
    Topics:

LOL I wish. I’m just a huge fan of her work. You should watch the Carey Mulligan SNL monologue if you haven’t already, she made a joke how she gets mistaken for Michelle Williams often; it was adorable.

OHHH!! Okay well you’re so wonderful, and I enjoy talking with you. It does really get competitive and maybe that’s a good thing. We a year where SO many actors really did give great performances. And that happens other years, but I feel other years we usually have locks on everything save maybe one. And this time we have, I would say, one big lock- and that’s Daniel Kaluuya. I do think Glenn Close still has a *spark* of hope in which she gets the win because voters were waiting for the BIG night for her to win her overdue trophy. However, If she’s doing Sunset Blvd- then that’s the performance they might be waiting on. And she will of course, win for Lead- and not supporting.

Best Actress is the hardest one. And I just keep going in circles and it’s crazy. I keep switching the winner and I haven’t had this many changes to a category since probably best Picture of 2015-16 (Big Short vs Spotlight vs Mad Max vs Revenant). And I picked Big Short based on PGA and lost, with Spotlight of course prevailing.

I do enjoy being back and discussing these things because we all know the day after the Oscars, it’s sort of depressing lol! Because sure, we can reminisce about the ceremony- but the winners are out there and the suspense is gone. And we must go on with our lives 🙂

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Jason Travis
    Topics:

Tentatively raises hand…

There you go Eddy! IM Proud of you! Being honest and actually rooting for the performance because you liked it more!!!

Uh, which means possibly Anthony Hopkins might not win. WHOA – I apologize to fans of The Father. I’m starting to see a lot more hands being raised. My God. They’re all over the place. I just had a guy whisper something in my ear. He said “The best actor winner will feel like a sound of metal.” I wonder what that means…

But joking aside, Im glad you raised your hand Eddy! How are you, I haven’t been around for a while.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

My personal ranking of the performances:

1. Riz Ahmed
    2. Anthony Hopkins
    3. Gary Oldman
    4. Chadwick Boseman
    5. Steven Yeun

Well, that’s a solid order. I would put Hopkins first but still, it’s great to see Oldman above Yeun. Minari is far better than Mank, but Oldman’s performance is stronger than Yeun’s imo. People just feel tired of seeing Oldman in a (bad) award-bait film.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

I just watched The Father, the hype is real. Absolutely fantastic performance from Hopkins. I think if voters base it on performance, Hopkins has a legit chance of upsetting.

I can’t decide between Hopkins and Ahmed in this category. They both brought realistic and heartbreaking performances. What a good year.

Profile picture
    laddieboy01
    Topics:

I too am hoping for an upset, particularly from Ahmed. Personally, the performance by him was one of the strongest I felt I’d seen in the season. I know that the fact that Boseman passed away is a definite factor to consider in his winning, but I hope that doesn’t play too much of a factor in the voting process.

Then again, this is the Academy we’re talking about. When have they ever done things the viewers have wanted?

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

I too am hoping for an upset, particularly from Ahmed. Personally, the performance by him was one of the strongest I felt I’d seen in the season. I know that the fact that Boseman passed away is a definite factor to consider in his winning, but I hope that doesn’t play too much of a factor in the voting process. Then again, this is the Academy we’re talking about. When have they ever done things the viewers have wanted?

The vast majority of viewers want Boseman to win because we’re not sadists.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

That BAFTA win for Anthony Hopkins gave me a small tiny glimmer of hope that the Best Actor race can be salvaged… but I know it’s going to go to you know who – the only one who I don’t think ought to be nominated!!! Oh well, maybe next year will go better for me personally!!! (;

You couldn’t bother to spell out Viola Davis’ name in the Best Actress thread and now you’re doing the same with Chadwick? I don’t want to read into it, but yikes. They have names!

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

Where did that person saying Hopkins played Anthony more like a person suffering insomnia than dementia go? I had the perfect reply to them…

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

You couldn’t bother to spell out Viola Davis’ name in the Best Actress thread and now you’re doing the same with Chadwick? I don’t want to read into it, but yikes. They have names!

You are reading too much into it – I really really really disliked Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom for a myriad of reasons. I don’t like the plays of August Wilson because I dislike his values, what he finds important, which I find problematic. I resent the lack of analysis of his plays and find them incredibly over-rated without a thoughtfulness about the value system that underlies them. I also just really didn’t like Viola Davis’s and Chadwick Boseman’s hammy performances and don’t think they should even be in the conversation as nominees this year. Having a minority opinion ought to be o.k., I get that most people enjoyed their work. I am resigned to their likely winning but am hoping for at least one surprise – most likely that could happen in Best Actress and not Best Actor because Chadwick being dead is too powerful of a narrative for the voters to vote for the better performances. Riz Ahmed is my choice and who I would vote for but it’s clear that Anthony Hopkins is the only one who has a real chance of an upset – a very tiny small chance!

Profile picture
    asianmoviegeek
    Topics:

Steven Yeun is such a zaddy omg that’s all that matters. I wanna taste you king respectfully!!!

But seriously, my vote goes to Boseman, he deserves it and this is the last time to honor him. He got this.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.