Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 495 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
methaddiction
crabbie
SN
  • Profile picture
    Jason Travis
    Topics:

FINAL BEST ACTOR & ACTRESS PREDICTIONS

Anthony Hopkins, The Father
    Andra Day, The United States vs Billie Holiday

I wish everyone luck tomorrow! Regardless it was a great year for acting all around. I will say I keep reading many posters saying “In any other year, Hopkins would win but…”, “Chadwick still won Critics, Globe, SAG…”- I’ve been in your seats before. The years when you think hardware matters more. The years where you answer your own question when writing down your thoughts on obligation vs passion. Trust me, I’ve been there. Recently with Glenn Close and Olivia Colman.

But I think Anthony has it. Voters aren’t picking acting winners based on Obligation anymore- at least, in my unique view of the race. They’re voting with who they want to win.

I take you back to 1996-97. EVERYONE had Lauren Bacall winning for The Mirror Has Two Faces. Then Juliette Binoche took it for The English Patient. Was the mindset the same then? “Lauren has it, so I’ll circle who I really want to win.” Because Binoche deserved that Oscar. Bacall wasn’t even the best part of the film. I found Streisand and Bridges quite endearing.

If Chadwick loses I just hope we don’t have to endure that the academy is racist, or the academy is shameful for not giving it to a “dead man”. Or “Hopkins won because he’s old and British.” Please at least see beyond these cliches. I hope people that DO get mad have screened all the acting nominees, because I am still hearing “Oh I haven’t watched The Father yet, it’s too expensive…but Chadwick should still take it!” It costs $20 to stream. You spend more on your lottery tickets.

Art is subjective and I believe that who ever wins tomorrow wins because they were liked the most. Yes, there will be political motives. But Passion always triumphs in the end. And if there’s more passion for Chadwick, that’s great. My passion is with Sir Anthony Hopkins.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    17K Subscribers, 33 Million Views

FYC: Anthony Hopkins, The Father

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Chadwick for the win Hopkins and his bafta is not powerful enough.

Profile picture
    Monty
    Topics:

Smart money is on Hopkins winning. You could argue Hopkins is winning BAFTA because he is a Brit. What is your argument to Boseman losing Indie Spirit award to Riz Ahmed?

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

Smart money is on Hopkins winning. You could argue Hopkins is winning BAFTA because he is a Brit. What is your argument to Boseman losing Indie Spirit award to Riz Ahmed?

The argument is that the Film Independent membership comprises a vast majority of non-industry people. Yes, BAFTA is industry, but it is not Hollywood.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Clement
    Topics:

Am I the only one who didnt like Chadwick in MRBB but thought his turn in DA5BLOODS was utterly stunning. To me that was the best performance of his entire career, he is on screen for a limited period but delivers such a wonderful performance,  crowning that performance would have been such a good send off. MRBB wasnt a good film,  no matter how critics tried to make us believe it was good – it was too theatrical and the monologues in the first 20 minutes almost made me stop watching the film. Denzel should learn something from this moving forward,  his next film Piano Man – I’ve seen the play- will be so difficult to adapt to screen,  they should actually rework the script otherwise it will flop. It’s a couple of guys sitting around having discussions. I loved what Kemp Powers and Regina King did with ONIM, they really opened up the movie and made such a powerful motion picture ( it should have been nominated for Best Picture) .I also cant help but think that if Viola had been made the centre piece of the story then we would have had a much better movie- there is so much about Ma rainey that would have been amazing, a black queer no nonsense singer, look at the material, she would have swept the season. If the film was better handled, then we’d have Chadwick and Lakeith battling it out in supporting and Kaluuya ana Hopkins in lead

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRukCmmTRlU

Riz’s speech.

Renee must be having so much fun announcing a different winner each time she presented = Chadwick at the Globes, Hopkins at BAFTA, and Riz at Spirits.

Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

Before seeing everyone, I was all in on Chadwick. Seeing Sir Anthony first set the bar that none of his fellow nominees came close to touching. Of course the internet/Twitter had to be ugly with this category. I will tune out the nonsense/stinkpieces if Sir Anthony wins bc those who knows, knows, but Chadwick is also a good pick as a career/legacy pick and that’s fine too.

Profile picture
    Lady Jane Grey
    Topics:

Mr Boseman remains unbothered no matter how much the haters try to drag him. My man won the Golden Globe, Critics Choice, SAG, AACTA and multitude of critics awards but yeah a racist awards body not voting for him suddenly makes him ‘vulnerable’ lmfao. You know people won’t be switching on him if he wasn’t a black man. If it was their favorite like Mulligan here with the same run, you all would be calling her locked because this site loves it some basic blond bitch but whatever. Talk of merit is only brought up when a black person is in contention. Fucking disgusting.

Grow the fuck up you pathetic twat.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

I‘d honestly be sad if Boseman lost. I wasn‘t even a fan of MRBB i thought it was pretty boring but setting up this awards sweep only to ultimately give the big one to someone else just seems cruel. I know he‘s dead and he won‘t see this or hear about it but it bugs me. I loved seeing Hopkins win something and Ahmed win something but the big one should go to Boseman. I need that Boseman Mulligan winner combo. And i‘ll stick with it for my predictions whether it‘s correct or not.

Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

If both Boseman and Day lost then GG would be 1/4. When was the last time that ever happened?

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Since it’s Boseman vs Hopkins and Ahmed isn’t going to win I will be rooting for Hopkins to upset Boseman and will cheer wildly if it happens. But I am expecting to be “ho hum, the 5th best performance won” when Boseman wins tonight. His narrative is too strong ): I want to see Olivia Colman up on the podium accepting for Sir Anthony!

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Since people are doing this on the actress thread EXPERT PREDICTIONS Chadwick Boseman – 28 Antnony Hopkins – 2 Riz Ahmed – 0 Steven Yeun – 0 Gary Oldman – 0

UPDATE

Chadwick Boseman – 32
    Anthony Hopkins – 1
    Riz Ahmed – 0
    Steven Yeun – 0
    Gary Oldman – 0

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Better to look at the top users rather than the experts

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I don’t know what to do. I switched to Sir Tony yesterday but already feel like I’ll regret making that change…

Profile picture
    na digga
    Topics:

I literally don’t feel confident predicting Hopkins or Boseman. I have Boseman but those anonymous ballots make a very convincing case for Hopkins.

I think I’ll stick with Boseman. Because he has more going for him and swept all season long. Sure there’s a lot of sentiment around his death, but I keep coming back to the fact that this is his best performance and he had so much more left in him. Plus is it really that bad that he’d win because of sentiment when he also delivered a knockout performance? He gave one of the best performances, while fighting cancer and didn’t tell anyone. That had to be incredibly hard to do. No other actor he’s up against had to face that obstacle while performing. The two previous posthumous winners didn’t perform their roles sick and didn’t jeopardize their health to do a role, and they got enough votes to carry them through. I think the Sag branch will be strong enough to carry Boseman all the way. Because they will understand the difficulty of this.

Viola Davis is the Greatest of our time!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.