Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 495 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
methaddiction
crabbie
SN
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Having a minority opinion ought to be o.k.

It wasn’t even about that. I was about the seemingly intentional choice not to refer to them by their names while referring to everyone else by their names. You’re obviously allowed to dislike the movie and the performances.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

So many people are overthinking this. Boseman is not locked for the Oscar but he will still win the Oscar. It seems like people have forgotten how BAFTA snubbed Dallas Buyers Club acting Oscar winners or BAFTA ending Jeff Bridges sweep. Black Panther was nominated for 1 BAFTA. At the Oscars, Black Panther was nominated for 7 Oscars and won 3. AMPAS obviously loved Black Panther very much and that goodwill will translate to Boseman’s win at the Oscars. At the end of the day, BAFTA rallies behind their British veterans even when it goes against the eventual Oscar winners.

Hmm, they obviously didn’t. It was seen/hyped-up as a unique achievement that has to be nominated for Best Picture. But it was snubbed all around the key categories. No director or screenplay mentions, no acting nominations. They have clearly seen the film as a critical achievement.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Hmm, they obviously didn’t. It was seen/hyped-up as a unique achievement that has to be nominated for Best Picture. But it was snubbed all around the key categories. No director or screenplay mentions, no acting nominations. They have clearly seen the film as a critical achievement.

The general body still got Black Panther nominated and voted for its 3 wins. Without Shallow as a competitorit would have won original song too. It also won SAG ensemble. There was genuine industry support even if it was lacking above the line categories.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

The general body still got Black Panther nominated and voted for its 3 wins. Without Shallow as a competitor, it would have won original song too. It also won SAG ensemble. There was genuine industry support even if it was lacking above the line categories.

I still wouldn’t say it was beloved in the literal sense. I think most people thought it was an important piece that has to be highlighted, but it clearly had a lack of passion during the awards race, not to mention pretty average audience support (unlike with similar films – as genre flicks – like Get Out or Mad Max: Fury Road) It’s really not that big of a phenomenon to win multiple creative categories (Dunkirk, Inception, The Bourne Ultimatum). If I’m right, alongside Selma, Ford v Ferrari, and War Horse, it’s the only Best Picture nominee in recent history that hasn’t been nominated for directing/writing/acting.

Don’t get me wrong, its cultural impact is unquestionable, but I don’t think it’s actually seen as a masterpiece and I definitely don’t think that it was beloved in 2018.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I still wouldn’t say it was beloved in the literal sense. I think most people thought it was an important piece that has to be highlighted, but it clearly had a lack of passion during the awards race, not to mention pretty average audience support (unlike with similar films – as genre flicks – like Get Out or Mad Max: Fury Road) It’s really not that big of a phenomenon to win multiple creative categories (Dunkirk, Inception, The Bourne Ultimatum). If I’m right, alongside Selma, Ford v Ferrari, and War Horse, it’s the only Best Picture nominee in recent history that hasn’t been nominated for directing/writing/acting. Don’t get me wrong, its cultural impact is unquestionable, but I don’t think it’s actually seen as a masterpiece and I definitely don’t think that it was beloved in 2018.

I agree. Black Panther is not a masterpiece and is a mediocre popcorn flick. I find it alarming how it was brought up in the Oscar ceremony of 2018 which it was not even eligible for that year.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

You couldn’t bother to spell out Viola Davis’ name in the Best Actress thread and now you’re doing the same with Chadwick? I don’t want to read into it, but yikes. They have names!

Hun, people do this to white people all the time. Calm down hun, it isn’t that serious. Lmao

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

It wasn’t even about that. I was about the seemingly intentional choice not to refer to them by their names while referring to everyone else by their names. You’re obviously allowed to dislike the movie and the performances.

It really wasn’t intentional, it was my sense of humor since I am predicting both Boseman and Davis to win but hoping for others to win – it was tongue in cheek and not meant to be at all disrespectful.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Funny how some (not all) of the fans of Hopkins who are going on about how his BAFTA win means he’ll win the Oscar are the same ones who said BAFTA are irrelevant for nominating so many people of colour this year simply because Hopkins won for a British film that BAFTA loved over a dead black man.

Hmm I wonder why.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

Funny how some (not all) of the fans of Hopkins who are going on about how his BAFTA win means he’ll win the Oscar are the same ones who said BAFTA are irrelevant for nominating so many people of colour this year simply because Hopkins won for a British film that BAFTA loved over a dead black man.

Hmm I wonder why.

Makes total sense since the nominations were decided by a small jury but the general membership chose the winners. It doesn’t mean that Hopkins will win, but certainly his win was more informative than the nominations

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

It really wasn’t intentional, it was my sense of humor since I am predicting both Boseman and Davis to win but hoping for others to win – it was tongue in cheek and not meant to be at all disrespectful.

Hun, don’t even bother. Luca has called everyone that criticizes Ma Rainey and Viola a racist.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Hmm I wonder why.

Last I check the front runners: Boseman, Hopkins, Ahmed were all nominated here and Hopkins won with ALL the members voting NOT with a bias jury.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Makes total sense since the nominations were decided by a small jury but the general membership chose the winners. It doesn’t mean that Hopkins will win, but certainly his win was more informative than the nominations

My whole point was that for weeks and weeks a lot of racist users on here went on about how “the winners at BAFTA will be irrelevant” etc etc due to the fact they nominated multiple people of colour and now a white man wins for one of the films BAFTA liked the most this year and all of a sudden “Hopkins is 100% winning the Oscar?”

It doesn’t make any sense. One can’t cherry pick things.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Marcel Carneiro
    Topics:

The virgin Hopkins vs The Chad Wick Boseman

Profile picture
    Lady Jane Grey
    Topics:

The virgin Hopkins vs The Chad Wick Boseman

?

Profile picture
    Lady Jane Grey
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure the predictions that BAFTA wins would be irrelevant were in reference to the categories (such as Lead Actress or Supporting Actress) where notable frontrunners were snubbed due to the jury vote, and so the awards in those respective categories would not give an accurate depiction of where the race would be going. This was never necessarily a problem for Lead Actor, where the top three contenders (Hopkins, Boseman, and Ahmed) were nominated. Anthony Hopkins triumphing over Boseman AND Ahmed is significant and worthy of note because they were the ones to beat. Frances McDormand beating Vanessa Kirby in a category where Viola Davis, Andra Day, and Carey Mulligan were not nominated is not significant. I don’t think racism was a factor.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.