Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 482 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
David
OccultCherry
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I’m worried Hopkins is going to have the far superior performance and end up losing and that we’ll have months of posters saying “the Academy can’t possibly award an older white male actor when Boseman is the alternative” etc etc

academy awards are never about the performance alone

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

This is why Netflix’s decision was so shortsighted. Moving from Supporting to Lead in a vacuum is a valid decision, but Hopkins was a known massive contender, so they put Boseman from a near-guaranteed win to a very bitter and competitive category that is potenitally loseable. The Father had been seen, people knew Hopkins was going to be the one to beat, and his pre-game campaigning was strong.

Netflix not having that Oscars glory isn’t just because of Hollywood voters going against Netflix as an institute, but because they cannot play their cards at all. Emmys followers will note that Netflix didn’t get the Comedy Series nor Drama Series. Netflix cannot win even with a winning deck. They failed Lindo, and failing Boseman is a possibilty.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    Derp Boy
    Topics:

So is Delroy Lindo safe or not?

"We will always have Paris"

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

So is Delroy Lindo safe or not?

Safe. It’s one of the most acclaimed 2020 performances. Actors are going to eat his role up. He may even win SAG.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

This is why Netflix’s decision was so shortsighted. Moving from Supporting to Lead in a vacuum is a valid decision, but Hopkins was a known massive contender, so they put Boseman from a near-guaranteed win to a very bitter and competitive category that is potenitally loseable. The Father had been seen, people knew Hopkins was going to be the one to beat, and his pre-game campaigning was strong.

Yeah, Netflix have opened themselves up to either a 50% chance of losing Lead Actor all together and a 50% chance of people going “bOsEmAn oNlY wOn bEcAuSe hE dIeD”, as opposed to a 100% chance of winning Supporting Actor and a decent shot at Lead with Lindo.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Hopkins
    2. Boseman
    3. Oldman
    4. Lindo
    5. Hanks
    (6.Yeun)

Profile picture
    Mohammed19
    Topics:

I’m wondering if Clooney somehow find a spot here

That trailer for the Midnight Sky  really captures me as the movie was described by him as ” Gravity meets The Revenant ” with both movies receiving acting nominations.

He’s a dark horse for sure

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Safe. It’s one of the most acclaimed 2020 performances. Actors are going to eat his role up. He may even win SAG.

Even if Hopkins somehow loses the Oscar, he won’t lose the SAG or GG Awards. They’ve never rewarded him before. This is one of the reasons why I think he’s a lock, because with GG, SAG, and BAFTA on lock (and most like CC as well) there’s little reason to believe he would lose the Oscar.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

He won’t win over Hopkins or Boseman. And I personally don’t think he’s safe for the nomination. I’m not even predicting him.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Even if Hopkins somehow loses the Oscar, he won’t lose the SAG or GG Awards. They’ve never rewarded him before. This is one of the reasons why I think he’s a lock, because with GG, SAG, and BAFTA on lock (and most like CC as well) there’s little reason to believe he would lose the Oscar.

Do you really think actors will pass on the chance to give a fellow beloved actor (Boseman) one last win? I hope you’re right, that Hopkins does take it, but I’m not so certain. Hopkins will have another opportunity to win his SAG but Boseman won’t. I think sentimentality might prevail.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Boseman needs to receive big praise to win. We shall see.

From the looks of the trailer I’m not sure if he will receive that much of acclaim, but again, it’s just a trailer.

The chaotic editing from Moulin Rouge!

I love it, I love it, I love it, but I also have my problems with it.

Nicole Kidman is amazing in Moulin Rouge!

The film won the Golden Globe and the PGA for Best Motion Picture

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

No, Boseman is taking SAG and GG… HFPA loves clout and they will definitely be served the sec they help Chadwick Airways to take off. Whew the incoming headlines we love to see it.

Indeed, I can’t wait for Hopkins to sweep.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Boseman may actually have the largest role in Ma Rainey.

Granted they have adapted the play but reviews of the play seem to state that character is most prominent, even more so than Ma who in the play doesn’t even enter until a half hour into it.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

While Hopkins and Boseman battle it out in lead, Kaluuya is moving to supporting so he can sweep there.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Can we please wait till we’ve actually seen these performances before we start hurling insults over whose winning?

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 482 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.