Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 482 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
David
OccultCherry
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Best Actor this year reminds me of Best Actress in 2019… And I don’t want to say it, but I think with how aggressively contested Boseman V Hopkins is, there might quietly be a third option that wins, just like Coleman over Close and Gaga.

That third option that everybody is sleeping on is Daniel Kaluuya (if he goes lead). He is gonna accumulate all the buzz during the later half of the season and be fresh in all of the voters minds for a win. Anne Thompson is predicting him to be the breakout out of Sundance if Judas heads there in Jan.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

And I don’t want to say it, but I think with how aggressively contested Boseman V Hopkins is, there might quietly be a third option that wins, just like Coleman over Close and Gaga.

We don’t know if Boseman v Hopkins is actualky contested however. None of the awards have been given out yet. It’s theorized that it will be a close race based on conjecture.

Tbh, Close and Gaga wasn’t very contested either. Gaga won CC but nothing else: Colman was always the 2nd most likely after winning the Comedy Globe and the BAFTA. I actually think Boseman and Hopkins could tie at CC like Close and Gaga did, but Hopkins will win everything else.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Except we’ve literally seen cases in recent years where the more acclaimed performance beat someone with a way stronger narrative, such as Olivia Colman defeating Glenn Close and Regina King defeating Amy Adams in the same year.

Nobody is denying that Chadwick has the best narrative this year. But people adore Hopkins, and if he has a performance as insanely good as all these raves tell us, then he’s clearly in the running to win.

To completely downplay either of these men’s chances is just idiotic. They both have a good shot of taking this.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Unless Delroy Lindo comes through as the Olivia Colman… Now that would be beautiful.

He won’t. In fact, he is going to fighting for a nomination.

Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

END OF WEEK 7 PREDICTIONS

Best Actor

1. Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods)
    2. Anthony Hopkins (The Father)
    3. Gary Oldman (Mank)
    4. Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom)
    5. Kingsley Ben-Adir (One Night in Miami)
    Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

The Respect announcement is exactly why I’m afraid Judas and the Black Messiah might not get released in time for eligibility. It feels weird that we still haven’t had a release date announcement when there’s only 4 months left of eligibility and the trailer was released months ago.

Dear Gold Derby, please add Ibrahima Gueye to the prediction center 🙂

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

It’s deeper than “she beat Close because she had the more acclaimed performance” you have to consider many elements to explain Colman’s inevitable victory. Regarding Adams, no one expected her to win for Vice, never…

Colman had narrative. She won because of her performance and film.

And Adams was the original frontrunner that year, which you’ll see if you look back at the odds. King had a bit more of a narrative than Colman, but it definitely wasn’t much, and she was in a film almost entirely ignored by awards bodies.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

The Respect announcement is exactly why I’m afraid Judas and the Black Messiah might not get released in time for eligibility. It feels weird that we still haven’t had a release date announcement when there’s only 4 months left of eligibility and the trailer was released months ago.

I’ve also been skeptical of Judas for the same reason. They could always put it on HBO Max but it’s a bit concerning they haven’t made any announcements yet or scheduled an official release date.

Profile picture
    Lj
    Topics:

this was about 3 days ago from a writer and producer of the film confirming it will come before the deadline.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

It’s less dependent on box office than Respect. I think it could go to HBO Max. It’s a very timely film. Warner would be fool to delay it to next season.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Also as far as I know, Mgm doesn’t have any streaming partnerships that I know of unlike Wb who has Hbo Max. I’m curious on what Universal will do with News of the World if it doesn’t get a theatrical release. Will they send it straight to vod or delay it, i’m guessing the former since they’re not relying heavily on the box office numbers. Respect was a biopic that could be a box office hit which is the reason why mgm delayed it. Judas, News of the World, and Billie Holiday aren’t relying on big box office numbers to do well.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Also as far as I know, Mgm doesn’t have any streaming partnerships that I know of unlike Wb who has Hbo Max. I’m curious on what Universal will do with News of the World if it doesn’t get a theatrical release. Will they send it straight to vod or delay it, i’m guessing the former since they’re not relying heavily on the box office numbers. Respect was a biopic that could be a box office hit which is the reason why mgm delayed it. Judas, News of the World, and Billie Holiday aren’t relying on big box office numbers to do well.

I think News of the World will stay where it is. Because of Universal/AMC deal, it’ll presumedly be more dependent on VOD numbers than box office.

Paramount could release Billie Holiday in limited theaters and PVOD simultaneously. They did that with Monster Problems last weekend and it seems to be doing well.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Weren’t there rumors of MGM potentially selling up to Apple? And IIRC they tried to shop the streaming rights for Bond 25 to Apple and Amazon/HBO Max/some streaming service for like $600 M, so they’re definitely dipping their toes into the streaming business.

rubbish

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

this was about 3 days ago from a writer and producer of the film confirming it will come before the deadline.

To be fair, WB basically said Dune was confirmed for 2020 with all their promo. CD Projekt Red just delayed the most anticipated video game of the year less than 24 hours after telling fans it was fully confirmed for November 19th. Plans change and nothings truly off the table in 2020.

That being said, I do think an HBO Max release is more likely than a delay (both are more likely than it meeting it’s current release date, especially since AMC is about to file for Chapter 11 Bankrupcy). It’s a hotly anticipated film (much more so than Respect) with too much buzz for them to delay it.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Lj
    Topics:

To be fair, WB basically said Dune was confirmed for 2020 with all their promo. CD Projekt Red just delayed the most anticipated video game of the year less than 24 hours after telling fans it was fully confirmed for November 19th. Plans change and nothings truly off the table in 2020.

you’re right, anything can happen in 2020, but those comparisons are off. Dune was expected to be a huge box office attraction and it was no way Wb would just put that out like tenet. Plus, Dune is still in post-production and it had little to no promotion excluding the panel where they debuted the trailer, so it was absolutely no rush in getting it out to theaters. The other comparison is a video game that has no correlation… I agree on Wb sending Judas to Hbo Max before they delay it. It’s a super timely film and its buzz is through the roof. They would only be shooting themselves if they opted to delay it.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 482 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.