Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 482 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
David
OccultCherry
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Both Judas and Billie Holiday are in danger of moving now. Everything that didn’t get a festival run or is going to streaming will probably end up being pushed or released the last possible weekend.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Everything that didn’t get a festival run

Even some of the films that got the festival run are in danger. Films that premiered at the festivals are still not eligible till they’ve received a theatrical/streaming release. Films like Nomadland, The Father, Minari, and etc. They need to find streaming platforms if the cases start to worsen and close down the theaters. It’s that or they delay.

Both Judas and Billie Holiday are in danger of moving now.

Also, you forgot News of the World.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Films like Nomadland, The Father, Minari, and etc.

I agree with Minari but I think Nomadland and The Father would still do well in terms of awards even if they flop in theaters because both have massive festival success. I think they would do well releasing in theaters for a couple of weeks and on the Academy’s streaming site simultaneously.

Also, you forgot News of the World.

Oh yeah, that too.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

I agree with Minari but I think Nomadland and The Father would still do well in terms of awards even if they flop in theaters because both have massive festival success. I think they would do well releasing in theaters for a couple of weeks and on the Academy’s streaming site simultaneously.

I don’t think none of these films including Judas and Billie Holiday need to do well at the box office in order to be successful for awards. It’s a totally different year for Cinema and I think voters won’t care about the box office numbers if a film ends up flopping due to the pandemic. Also, I included Nomadland and The Father because of the possibility of all theaters closing down if things start to get way worse around the end of November and December. I don’t think none of these films have a streaming platform unless they work out a deal before the deadline. Wb does have Hbo Max and it could very well send Judas there, so we’ll see if they’ll end up utilizing it. I think one of these films have the possibility of going to Hulu but I forgot which, so let’s see if all these films have a backup plan if the worse is still to come (theaters shutting down again).

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

If Judas isn’t relying on big numbers then I think it comes out this season. They’d be crazy to delay it – it’s so timely and they’ve got a much better chance of getting noms this year. Next year is going to be insane.

And delaying isn’t always the best thing to do – apparently the Bond delay is costing MGM $1million a month in interest on financing.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Nomadland, The Father, Judas and Billie Holiday would all lose momentum if they get delayed. Studios need to think about a backup plan in case 90% of movie theaters close again. Either streaming, VOD or releasing in drive-ins.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Judas will most likely be put on HBO Max: I don’t think it will make back it’s budget in theaters. i still think Nomadland and The Father will be released in theaters though: those films are very cheap and could easily still make a profit, or at least come close, even with limited theater capacity and a likely AMC bankrupcy.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Jasmine is French
    Topics:

Im so rooting for Riz Ahmed, even though I have not seen the movie yet. The trailer gave me enough to consider him in the predictions.

His performance looks stellar!

Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

Im so rooting for Riz Ahmed, even though I have not seen the movie yet. The trailer gave me enough to consider him in the predictions.

His performance looks stellar!

Yesterday I watched one of his interviews and finding out that he had to learn how to play drums and the sign language for this role made me root for him even more.

Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

I was quite disappointed with The Sound of Music trailer since I was expecting something along the lines of Whiplash and also because Riz Ahmed is, once again, having a white co-star as a love interest. Nonetheless, I’ll watch it and I hope both his performance and the film deliver.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I was quite disappointed with The Sound of Music trailer since I was expecting something along the lines of Whiplash

Well you would be disappointed if you were expecting The Sound of Music to be similar to Whiplash lol.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

I was quite disappointed with The Sound of Music trailer since I was expecting something along the lines of Whiplash

I-

But why would you expect Sound of Metal to be similar to Whiplash? Ahmed plays a heavy metal drummer who is losing his hearing. Besides the fact that both lead characters are drummers they go through totally different experiences.

Nonetheless, I’ll watch it and I hope both his performance and the film deliver.

Everyone who has watched the movie praised Ahmed to the skies so no worries about the quality of his performance.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I think Ahmad will struggle to be nominated at the Oscars considering how stacked the Top 5 for this category is, but he could get in at Critics Choice. And if Kaluuya is moved or his film is delayed than that’s a potential spot for Ahmad.

Edit: I could also see Ahmad being nominated at the BAFTA’s since they have 6 spots now and like to reward British actors.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Ahmad will struggle to be nominated at the Oscars considering how stacked the Top 5 for this category is, but he could get in at Critics Choice. And if Kaluuya is moved or his film is delayed than that’s a potential spot for Ahmad.

Is it that stacked though. Yes 3 out of 5 of the slots are taken more or less (Boseman, Hopkins, Oldman) unless Mank or Ma Rainey flop and Kaluuya is quite likely (but not a certainty as his film could get delayed) but Hanks and Lindo are very vulnerable imo (and Lindo gave my favourite performance in the Actor field this year thus far).

In any normal year Ahmed would have no chance but his film has strong word of mouth due to his performance, he is already being campaigned for/is campaigning and his film will be on Amazon. Voters could end up watching it on there. Also I think he unfortunately might end up being used a “token” this year. The narrative for the first Muslim actor to win either Lead category is one that shouldn’t be underestimated and if Trump gets back in it could end up being an even stronger one.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Is it that stacked though. Yes 3 out of 5 of the slots are taken more or less (Boseman, Hopkins, Oldman) unless Mank or Ma Rainey flop and Kaluuya is quite likely (but not a certainty as his film could get delayed) but Hanks and Lindo are very vulnerable imo (and Lindo gave my favourite performance in the Actor field this year thus far). In any normal year Ahmed would have no chance but his film has strong word of mouth due to his performance, he is already being campaigned for/is campaigning and his film will be on Amazon. Voters could end up watching it on there. Also I think he unfortunately might end up being used a “token” this year. The narrative for the first Muslim actor to win either Lead category is one that shouldn’t be underestimated and if Trump gets back in it could end up being an even stronger one.

I don’t see him getting in over Lindo. Maybe Hanks if News of the World flops. If Judas comes this year, I’m kinda leaning towards them actually running Kaluuya supporting instead of lead. So it would be between Hanks, Stanfield, and Ahmed. Only thing with Ahmed is his film is considerably small compared to the previous two I mentioned and it’s only a contender in sound, so that could hurt his chances.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 482 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.