Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 482 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
David
OccultCherry
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Riz Ahmed is so getting the British Independent Film Award for Mogul Mowgli.

To join the nominations he can harvest for Sound of Metal, and also as a follow up to the splendor of his latest album The Long Goodbye.

My man is having a-year™.

We stan underrated talent 👏🏾🙌🏾

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Well best actor seems very solid for me predictions wise. Oldman, lindo, Boseman, and Hopkins are safe. That leaves one and I’m gonna say hanks or Cohen.

Profile picture
    Lj
    Topics:

Well best actor seems very solid for me predictions wise. Oldman, lindo, Boseman, and Hopkins are safe. That leaves one and I’m gonna say hanks or Cohen.

If Kaluuya goes lead then he is a lock. Only thing keeping me from saying Lindo is a lock is that his film came out all the way in June which was 4 months ago and we still have 4 months to go till voting arrives. He’s gonna have to keep up that momentum, and only people I can see taking his spot is Hanks and maybe Ahmed. Ahmed’s film may be too small for the Academy to actually recognize him though.

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Watched Sound of Metal tonight. It has this A24 vibe to it but it’s pretty accessible imo. Has some subtle yet powerful emotional scenes throughout and it does well with making you feel what Riz’ character is going through.

I can definitely see him being nominated but it would be a fifth spot nomination. That being said, he would need to be a critics push and I think he can be given they really like this film too, but it depends on how far he gets with them. If he somehow wins a Trifecta award, I think he’d be a shoe-in, but that’ll be hard with Anthony and Chadwick there so I won’t hold it to much against him as long as he’s a regionals favorite. Given that this is going to streaming and streamers are getting extra attention this year, that’s also a plus even if it’s Amazon. All this being said, I can easily see him missing out to some old Oscar fave because I honestly don’t know how industry precursors will react to this (the only other possible nomination I see is Sound). Though he’s British so he can easily get into BAFTA (SAG is what I’m worried about).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Riz is locked at BAFTA. But not for Sound of Metal.

If it wasn’t for the double nominee rule that’s now in place at BAFTA he’d be this year’s Margot Robbie (I swear when BAFTA fluke and nominate her for Birds of Prey or Dreamland this year because of how obsessed they are with her lol).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I just rewatched the trailers for Sound of Metal, Judas, The Father and Ma Rainey’s. I’ll rate the actors like this

Anthony Hopkins

Daniel Kaluuya

Riz Ahmed

Chadwick Boseman.

Call me stupid, but I don’t think Boseman has a winning role. That role looks ordinary. It’s not baity one bit. The others just swept him off the floor. I believe he’s getting in based on obvious sentiments.

From the ones I’ve seen, Delroy Lindo is the best and 100% deserves to be nominated. It’ll be shameful on the side of the Academy if they ignore this powerful performance

I STAN Lady Gaga and Roddy Ricch

Profile picture
    Ben Heath (Articufilm)
    Topics:

I have an odd feeling that at the moment Riz Ahmed is in a better position than Daniel Kaluuya. We’ve heard great things about Ahmed and he’s getting a lot of buzz off multiple performances. We also know Amazon likes to campaign hard when they have a shot at nominations. Furthermore, every year there is always one or two performances which show up without the films, granted the actors have more renowned than Ahmed. I hope Kaluuya is great and they both get in, however currently if it’s between the two for the 5th nomination Ahmed has the better shot.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

I have an odd feeling that at the moment Riz Ahmed is in a better position than Daniel Kaluuya. We’ve heard great things about Ahmed and he’s getting a lot of buzz off multiple performances. We also know Amazon likes to campaign hard when they have a shot at nominations. Furthermore, every year there is always one or two performances which show up without the films, granted the actors have more renowned than Ahmed. I hope Kaluuya is great and they both get in, however currently if it’s between the two for the 5th nomination Ahmed has the better shot.

It’s impossible to say at this point because of course Ahmed seems like he has more buzz – his movies have been seen! If he still has more buzz when Judas comes out then sure, but it’s not relevant just yet in my opinion.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Call me stupid, but I don’t think Boseman has a winning role. That role looks ordinary. It’s not baity one bit. The others just swept him off the floor. I believe he’s getting in based on obvious sentiments.

This is also how I feel. Davis is the one in that film with the winning role. People are pointing to the fact that it won a Tony but the Oscars are not the same environment. When Boseman has to compete against Anthony’s Hopkin’s career best performance (and this is the man who played Hannibel Lector), I don’t think he’ll stand a chance.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Not to mention, Delroy Lindo’s larger-than-life role as Paul and Daniel Kaluuya’s extremely meaty role as Fred Hampton are likely going to be bigger than what Boseman is given.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

When Boseman has to compete against Anthony’s Hopkin’s career best performance (and this is the man who played Hannibel Lector), I don’t think he’ll stand a chance.

It seems a lot of people think that Boseman’s narrative will propel him to a win. I’m inclined to agree with them. But, I do also have to agree that his role looks ordinary. Certainly nothing on the calibre of Anthony in The Father.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

I am not convinced that Boseman can win either. A nomination will be the sign of respect for him, Lead Actor is not won on a “its sad that he passed away” narrative unless the Actor in question has a prolific body of work and therefore an “overdue” narrative.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Lj
    Topics:

I don’t even think Ahmed is in a better position than Hanks right now. It just seems like one of the performances where it will get the critics support, but won’t translate over to any of the precursors or Oscars excluding maybe Bafta since he’s British. Ahmed will be this year’s Sandler from ‘Uncut Gems’ or Pattinson from ‘Good Time’. Kaluuya and Hanks actually have the advantage of their films coming out later during the season, to the point where it will be fresh in voter’s minds come March. Also not to mention, Kaluuya arguably has the most baitiest role this awards season imo. Still on the fence on whether Wb campaigns Kaluuya supporting or lead, I’m leaning more towards supporting based off from what I’ve been hearing during the past couple of days.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Lakeith Stanfield replied to a fan on Instagram confirming that Judas will be out early next year. Assuming for now that means before the deadline.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

It seems a lot of people think that Boseman’s narrative will propel him to a win. I’m inclined to agree with them. But, I do also have to agree that his role looks ordinary. Certainly nothing on the calibre of Anthony in The Father.

If Hopkins is indeed GOAT he should win. Just because an actor died, that shouldn’t be a reason to win if his performance isn’t the best. Also, I don’t get the urgency to award Boseman. He wasn’t overdue or anything. He isn’t a superstar like Washington or Smith. He had some good roles and he lucked out with Marvel like gazillion other actors. He wasn’t nominated before. So, IMO, nomination would be his reward. It really doesn’t seem right to rob the best performance of its deserved win just because sentimentality got blown out of proportion due to political momentum. At the end of the day, when momentum passes, people will look back and go “How the hack didn’t that performance win?”

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 482 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.