Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 482 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
David
OccultCherry
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

If Hopkins is indeed GOAT he should win. Just because an actor died, that shouldn’t be a reason to win if his performance isn’t the best. Also, I don’t get the urgency to award Boseman. He wasn’t overdue or anything. He isn’t a superstar like Washington or Smith. He had some good roles and he lucked out with Marvel like gazillion other actors. He wasn’t nominated before. So, IMO, nomination would be his reward. It really doesn’t seem right to rob the best performance of its deserved win just because sentimentality got blown out of proportion due to political momentum. At the end of the day, when momentum passes, people will look back and go “How the hack didn’t that performance win?”

Strongly agree!

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

It seems a lot of people think that Boseman’s narrative will propel him to a win. I’m inclined to agree with them. But, I do also have to agree that his role looks ordinary. Certainly nothing on the calibre of Anthony in The Father.

The thing is that everyone who had an overdue narrative who won also had a baity role. DICaprio’s narrative was huge but he also had a role where he was sleeping in deer carcasses and eating raw guts. Gary Oldman played Winston Churchill, Joaquin Phonix played The Joker, Daniel Day Lewis played Abraham fucking Lincoln!

Who is Boseman playing? Some Trumpet guy? No shade, but these roles aren’t even close to comparible.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

The thing is that everyone who had an overdue narrative who won also had a baity role. DICaprio’s narrative was huge but he also had a role where he was sleeping in deer carcasses and eating raw guts. Gary Oldman played Winston Churchill, Joaquin Phonix played The Joker, Daniel Day Lewis played Abraham fucking Lincoln! Who is Boseman playing? Some Trumpet guy? No shade, but these roles aren’t even close to comparible.

Also, unlike all the actors you mentioned, Boseman isn’t even overdue. He hasn’t been nominated before. There’s absolutely zero narrative beyond his death. If he hadn’t died, his performance wouldn’t have received a fraction of the momentum it’s acquiring now. I’m starting to come around to the idea that a nomination shall be his only reward. I don’t think any performance will be able to usurp Sir Anthony’s titanic tearjerker.

FYC:

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Also, unlike all the actors you mentioned, Boseman isn’t even overdue. He hasn’t been nominated before. If he hadn’t died, his performance wouldn’t have received a fraction of the momentum it’s acquiring now. I’m starting to come around to the idea that a nomination shall be his only reward. I don’t think any performance will be able to usurp Sir Anthony’s titanic tearjerker.

Yea, I’m starting think the same as well for Boseman. Although, Kaluuya will give Hopkins a run for his money if campaigned lead, but I’m pretty sure Wb is going to campaign him supporting while they campaign Stanfield lead (who actually could be the 5th slot if the film is well received and is great).

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Yea, I’m starting think the same as well for Boseman. Although, Kaluuya will give Hopkins a run for his money if campaigned lead, but I’m pretty sure Wb is going to campaign him supporting while they campaign Stanfield lead (who actually could be the 5th slot if the film is well received and is great).

I agree in that if anyone is Hopkins’ competition, it’s Kaluuya (provided he’s pushed in Lead). People need to watch out for him.

FYC:

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

If he hadn’t died, his performance wouldn’t have received a fraction of the momentum it’s acquiring now.

I still think he would have easily won Supporting Actor even if he was alive, providing Kaluuya stays in lead. But in Lead Actor his competition is just too fierce. Not only Hopkins, but also Lindo, Oldman, and Kaluuya will deliver great performances as well. And if Kaluuya is moved, Riz Ahmad is right there to take the 5th slot (or perhaps Lakeith Stanford).

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

I still think he would have easily won Supporting Actor even if he was alive, providing Kaluuya stays in lead. But in Lead Actor his competition is just too fierce. Not only Hopkins, but also Lindo, Oldman, and Kaluuya will deliver great performances as well. And if Kaluuya is moved, Riz Ahmad is right there to take the 5th slot (or perhaps Lakeith Stanford).

Kinda hoping the academy’s annual snubbage of Hanks continues bc I would love to see Riz or Lakeith get an Oscar nomination. I’m kind of getting the feeling that if they do move Kaluuya to supporting (he would easily sweep there) then Stanfield will end up edging out Ahmed and Hanks for the 5th spot if his performance is good enough which I definitely believe it will be.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I am not convinced that Boseman can win either. A nomination will be the sign of respect for him, Lead Actor is not won on a “its sad that he passed away” narrative unless the Actor in question has a prolific body of work and therefore an “overdue” narrative.

right just like lead actor isnt where the award comic book villians and best picture isnt where you award foreign films. lol ya’ll keep pigeon holing yourselves.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

right just like lead actor isnt where the award comic book villians and best picture isnt where you award foreign films. lol ya’ll keep pigeon holing yourselves.

False equivalency.

FYC:

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

(a) Heath Ledger won Supporting Actor, and he had a career spanning over a decade, with a ton of critically acclaimed and respected roles. He was a previous Best Actor nominee for one of the most praised movies of all time. He was exactly the kind of actor I said they would award posthumously, so thanks for proving my point.

(b) “Best Picture isn’t where you award foreign films”- when has anyone said that? Best Picture has been awarding Foreign Films for a long time, by the way, The Artist was a decade ago now. The equivalent here would be “Best Actor isn’t given to foreign Actors”- and nobody’s saying that either, so I’d suggest coming up with better strawmen.

rubbish

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Plus, Ledger performance in TDK had GOAT buzz, like Hopkins this year. Without GOAT buzz, nomination would likely be his reward. Plus, he was in an iconic mega blockbuster that fans, industry and critics wanted to see nominated for Picture and Director as well. AMPAS ignored it but that snub created changes in order to give movies like TDK a shot at nomination (expanded BP field). So death was just an extra thing but chips fell into the right place without it already.

OTOH, as already mentioned in other posts, Boseman buzz is mostly due to death. Take that out (see predictions before he died) and you wouldn’t find win talks, only nomination ones and even that not locked.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

(a) Heath Ledger won Supporting Actor, and he had a career spanning over a decade, with a ton of critically acclaimed and respected roles. He was a previous Best Actor nominee for one of the most praised movies of all time. He was exactly the kind of actor I said they would award posthumously, so thanks for proving my point. (b) “Best Picture isn’t where you award foreign films”- when has anyone said that? Best Picture has been awarding Foreign Films for a long time, by the way, The Artist was a decade ago now. The equivalent here would be “Best Actor isn’t given to foreign Actors”- and nobody’s saying that either, so I’d suggest coming up with better strawmen.

I think he was talking about Joaquin Phoenix

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think he was talking about Joaquin Phoenix

Joaquin Phoenix had three previous nominations (one of which was a critically acclaimed performance for a film regarded as a masterpiece for which he jointly won the Volpi Cup for) and had a career spanning between 20 to 25 years in supporting roles in awards bait/nominated films (To Die ForGladiator).

His film also made over 1 billion dollars at the box office. Comparing his win for Joker and a potential Boseman win for Ma Rainey makes absolutely no sense (especially considering how (as much as I am excited for it) Ma Rainey is going to be nowhere near as big a film as Joker was).

Joker also won the Golden Lion at Venice.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I love how everyone has decided just what Boseman’s role is going to be, despite basically admitting they haven’t seen or read the source material. This is all conjecture and makes for grinding discussion. Let’s wait it out a bit.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

I love how everyone has decided just what Boseman’s role is going to be, despite basically admitting they haven’t seen or read the source material. This is all conjecture and makes for grinding discussion. Let’s wait it out a bit.

This is a predictions thread, hence the predictions… of course this is all conjecture.

FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 482 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.