Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 482 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
David
OccultCherry
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Darlings.. It’s been obvious since the beginning that Boseman is going to sweep.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Black Panther, Get On Up, or 42

LOL Black Panther. he didn’t even get the best reviews, heck, his supporting cast was much more praised as standouts than he. Jordan, Wright, Gurira and even Duke’s extended cameo showstealing turn got more attention. Boseman was OK but his role was very boring.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

So it’s basically like when some posters are saying that Kaluuya should run to supporting just because Boseman is the frontrunner in lead right now even when Kaluuya is probably lead in his movie too lol.

It’s similar. I think, in Kaluuya case, it’s more of “commit a category fraud to win” than really thinking that he’s a supporting actor.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

It’s similar. I think, in Kaluuya case, it’s more of “commit a category fraud to win” than really thinking that he’s a supporting actor.

I mean, I’d say that’s how most category fraud goes.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

A Nigerian that does not want Chadwick to win, weird lol.

Black people don’t have to root for black contenders. Same goes for every other race.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Darlings.. It’s been obvious since the beginning that Boseman is going to sweep.

yup he got the role, the movie, and the narrative

Anyway in other news Gary Oldman is not getting nominated. You hear it here first!

That honestly would not shock me. seems he got overshadowed by seyfried lol

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

There has never been any official indication as to whether Kaluuya was Lead or Supporting. The teaser showed the movie being Stanfield’s journey featuring Kaluuya’s character. This forum just decided that Kaluuya would be Lead because he’s the bigger name, he has a showy & famous character, and because he is popular (and therefore has more stans who want him to get a Lead win). At least wait until official sources say that he’s a Lead before claiming people want to commit category fraud by pushing him in Supporting…

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Kaluuya is in a similar situation as Whitaker in ‘The Last King of Scotland’. He’s a supporting character with an overwhelming presence and has the most strongest role in the film. The story revolves around him, but it’s not from his perspective. Usually actors with supporting roles only commit fraud to lead only when their chances of winning there are almost certain. I thought Kaluuya had a pretty good chance at derailing the Hopkin’s train until Netflix decided to move Boseman to lead, so if anything it would be best that Wb doesn’t commit fraud at all and keep Kaluuya in supporting with a much more likelier chance of winning there. Either they pull a Whitaker in 2007 or a Hanks in 2020. Could go both ways, so I guess we’ll see.

Profile picture
    ShinySeaDiamond
    Topics:

LOL Black Panther. he didn’t even get the best reviews, heck, his supporting cast was much more praised as standouts than he. Jordan, Wright, Gurira and even Duke’s extended cameo showstealing turn got more attention. Boseman was OK but his role was very boring.

Of all the takes and examples to give, this is among the most ridiculous. If we want to talk about his career outside Ma Rainey, why not mention 42, Get on Up or Marshall? Boseman was possibly the closest actor to a male Bassett, in terms of his filmography’s focus on inspiring figures from black history. That, alongside his death, plays into his narrative.

And in terms of competing with co stars, he seems to have made a greater impression on critics than Davis, a triple crown winner.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

There has never been any official indication as to whether Kaluuya was Lead or Supporting. The teaser showed the movie being Stanfield’s journey featuring Kaluuya’s character. This forum just decided that Kaluuya would be Lead because he’s the bigger name, he has a showy & famous character, and because he is popular (and therefore has more stans who want him to get a Lead win). At least wait until official sources say that he’s a Lead before claiming people want to commit category fraud by pushing him in Supporting…

Exactly! Right after the trailer dropper, everybody made the assumption that he was automatically lead just because he was the more prominent figure in the trailer. To anyone saying it would be fraud just bc he’s placed in supporting with the more showy role in the film is ridiculous.

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

Gary Oldman is not missing for Mank. He isn’t this year’s De Niro, he’s this year Leo, he won’t win and the biggest raves are going to a supporting actor but he’ll be nominated everywhere.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I just want Kaluuya to have a lead win. Should have already won for Get Out. The trailer for Judas and the Black Messiah made Stanfield look supporting.

FYC:

Riz Ahmed- Best Actor for Sound Of Metal
    Daniel Kaluuya - Best Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Amanda Seyfried - Best Supporting Actress for Mank

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Kaluuya is in a similar situation as Whitaker in ‘The Last King of Scotland’. He’s a supporting character with an overwhelming presence and has the most strongest role in the film. The story revolves around him, but it’s not from his perspective.

We don’t know this yet. My hunch is both actors are leads, but of course they won’t campaign this way. Also I dispute this idea that a story has to be from a certain character’s perspective in order for said character to be a lead. This simply wasn’t a prevalent view until relatively recently, and I suspect it exists mostly due to awards-watchers and campaigners who don’t want to contend with two leads of the same gender because it’s inconvenient for them.

Edit: Also I would disagree that Whitaker was supporting in The Last King of Scotland, but that’s a separate if related discussion.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Gary Oldman is not missing for Mank. He isn’t this year’s De Niro, he’s this year Leo, he won’t win and the biggest raves are going to a supporting actor but he’ll be nominated everywhere.

Don’t want to be pedantic, but DiCaprio did took lots of best-career raves and notices by many critics and people for OUATIH (lots of people even saying that he had the most complex and difficult role in the film and that it was even a better performance than the one in The Revenant), so he definitely wasn’t overshadowed by Pitt.

Anyway I do agree that Oldman will get easily nominated but won’t win, as opposed to Seyfried who instead may actually win.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Oldman is a secure nod. Big film, excellent reviews, respected name, he’s won before, but he hasn’t been over rewarded. He’s not winning, but they won’t snub him.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 482 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.