Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 482 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
David
OccultCherry
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

I currently have Chadwick winning, but tweets like this have me very concerned.

I can see the Boseman narrative trumping Hopkins powerful performance. It will be hard to do, but it is very likely considering he probably has no chance for winning supporting with ‘Da 5 Bloods’ due to the lack of material he was given excluding that powerful scene towards the end with Lindo. I’m hearing that he is beyond phenomenal in Ma Rainey, so I’m currently predicting Boseman for the win.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I can see the Boseman narrative trumping Hopkins powerful performance. It will be hard to do, but it is very likely considering he probably has no chance for winning supporting with ‘Da 5 Bloods’ due to the lack of material he was given excluding that powerful scene towards the end with Lindo. I’m hearing that he is beyond phenomenal in Ma Rainey, so I’m currently predicting Boseman for the win.

The posthumous narrative doesn’t really work that well for wins though. Remember, we’ve only ever had two posthumous Acting wins, and both of those performances were by far the best performances nominated in their category that year. If Hopkins is better than Boseman (which based on all the reactions it sounds like he’ll be far better than anyone else) than it doesn’t matter what Boseman’s narrative is: Hopkins will win. It’s not like Boseman was ever considered overdue for an Oscar win in life either: this will be his first and only Oscar nomination.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Hopkins isn’t going to have the disadvantage of a weak film either. The Father has more acclaim than pretty much every other awards contender except Nomadland, and it will likely overperform in nominations. I’m predicting it in Director and Production Design, for example.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I actually think The Father is winning the Drama Picture Globe.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I currently have Chadwick winning, but tweets like this have me very concerned.

welp. I heard he was good but didnt know it was like that. What is you doin netflix?!

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

welp. I heard he was good but didnt know it was like that. What is you doin netflix?!

Nominations in Lead are more prestigious than nominations in Supporting (they just are). They’re going for the biggest possible sendoff.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Nominations in Lead are more prestigious than nominations in Supporting (they just are). They’re going for the biggest possible sendoff.

winning an oscar is better than a nomination

Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

Is it too late to move Chad for Supporting? If Ali can win Supporting for a co-lead performance then Boseman could have done it too.

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

Remember, we’ve only ever had two posthumous Acting wins, and both of those performances were by far the best performances nominated in their category that year.

I’d like to disagree, De Niro was the best performance in the 1976 lineup. Finch’s performance is phenomenal and he would be a great worthy winner in most years though, but De Niro in Taxi Driver is an all-timer. (And this is by no means an unpopular opinion btw).

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

winning an oscar is better than a nomination

It is, but clearly Netflix are going big or going home. Agree with schmids that’s probably their line of thinking.

Either that or it genuinely is an undeniably Lead performance and Supporting would have been egregious category fraud.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

This..

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Why are you so confident about Delroy Lindo? Da 5 Bloods was released 10 months before the ceremony date and it wasn’t as acclaimed as Budapest Hotel or Get Out to be such an early contender.

. For me it’s still the best Male performance of the year so far (a lot of films yet to be seen so subject to change obviously).

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Delroy Lindo gave the performance of 2020. That monologue in the jungle is one of the greatest acting moments ever captured on screen. He was universally acclaimed by everyone. EVERYONE!

Even if the film has its faults, there’s no denying the brilliance of his work. He could very well win SAG too. It’s the type of challenging role actors love.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I’d like to disagree, De Niro was the best performance in the 1976 lineup. Finch’s performance is phenomenal and he would be a great worthy winner in most years though, but De Niro in Taxi Driver is an all-timer. (And this is by no means an unpopular opinion btw).

I honestly think Finch was third best, although this was one of the greatest Best Actor lineups in Oscar history and I can’t dispute his win too strongly. (Stallone was fifth best for an iconic character.) A close second to De Niro for me is Giancarlo Giannini in Seven Beauties (my current profile pic).

The posthumous narrative doesn’t really work that well for wins though.

Often not, but I would argue that Boseman’s death has drawn an unusual amount of sentiment. And when you look at the posthumous acting nominees who didn’t win, it’s quite easy to see why. James Dean was very young and in a category which has never favoured youth. Spencer Tracy had won twice already and was up against a showier performance in the Best Picture winner. Ralph Richardson’s final performance and film were hardly considered his best, and most Academy members had probably never heard of Massimo Troisi before his death and the release of Il Postino. As for Jeanne Eagles, she technically wasn’t a nominee at all; in the 2nd Academy Awards there were no official nominees, only the announced winners, while subsequent research has compiled a list of unofficial nominees from records of films considered by the judges.

While Boseman has never been nominated, there has been a lot of retrospective interest in his body of work that could culminate to a lead Oscar, as I expect his final performance to be revered on a similar level to Finch’s and Ledger’s. We’ll see though.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I can see the Boseman narrative trumping Hopkins powerful performance.

I don’t know. See I’m conflicted because I’m rooting for both but what the Oscars have proved time and time again is that if there is an “unstoppable” performance (or at least unstoppable in people’s minds) that they care more about that than narrative. We saw this with Regina King and Olivia Colman winning over the two most overdue actresses of all time.

Sure Boseman could have both narrative and performance which is what has helped people such as McDormand for example win their second but if Hopkins is truly as undeniable as he’s being made out to be by critics and people who have seen the film then he’s going to be difficult to overcome.

On a separate note at this rate Kaluuya should just go supporting. I really want to see him win an Oscar but he practically has no chance imo against Sir Anthony and Chadwick.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 482 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.