Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 482 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
David
OccultCherry
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Do you really think people who care about social justice would easily accept a beloved late black actor losing to a octagenarian white veteran?

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Do you really think people who care about social justice would easily accept a beloved late black actor losing to a octagenarian white veteran?

Are you actually saying Academy voters will hesitate to vote for Hopkins because he’s old and white? You know the last time a black man won this category was in 2006, and that only 4 black men have ever won this award? A decade of OscarsSoWhite has not kept the Academy from repeatedly shafting Black winners to Supporting categories while continuing to award White people in Lead.

That being said, I can see Chadwick winning. Yesterday I thought Hopkins was absolutely going to win between the 2, but I’m more receptive to arguments for Boseman winning now.

rubbish

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Are you actually saying Academy voters will hesitate to vote for Hopkins because he’s old and white? You know the last time a black man won this category was in 2006, and that only 4 black men have ever won this award? A decade of OscarsSoWhite has not kept the Academy from repeatedly shafting Black winners to Supporting categories while continuing to award White people in Lead.

Honestly sad at this point, which is why I’m clearly rooting for Chad to win lead this year and Kaluuya to win in supporting if he is campaigned there.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Whatever happens, Hopkins will be breaking a record either way. He’ll surpass Richard Farnsworth as the oldest ever Best Actor nominee (age 79), and if he wins, he’ll beat Henry Fonda’s record (age 76). With Ellen Burstyn in supporting contention for Pieces of a Woman (which would make her the oldest acting nominee ever) and Ann Roth being a likely costume nominee for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, this upcoming Oscars could be a watershed moment for age-related record holders.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ellen Burstyn in supporting contention for Pieces of a Woman (which would make her the oldest acting nominee ever)

Which is why I think people are underestimating her for a nom. Even if the film is “too inaccessible” for voters that supporting category is so weak that I can see her getting in as a name-check even if Kirby ends up flopping during awards season somehow. She’s beloved!

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Colman is the best chance the father has of winning any Oscars this year.

I love Colman but no. Unless Hillbilly gets an MC score of 40 to 45 or lower then I think Glenn has this wrapped up.

If Ma Rainey ends up going mid 60s on MC then I would argue that Hopkins has this wrapped up considering the raves for The Father and what we’ve heard about his performance.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/MatthewAStewart/status/1319730384784031746

The guy that times screentime says that Sacha Baron Cohen has 30 minutes and 14 seconds of screentime, which amounts to 23.23% of the movie. Rylance actually has more screentime than him. Lmao if they end up pushing him Lead for this.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

NFYCC: Lindo
    LAFCA: Boyega
    NSFC: Linda
    NBR: Kaluuya

Indie Spirits: Ahmed, Duke, Magano, Samberg, Yeun
    Globes (Drama): Ahmed, Boseman, Hopkins, Lindo, Oldman
    Globes (Comedy): SBC, Harwood, Murray, Patel, Samberg
    Critics Choice: Ahmed, Boseman, Kaluuya, Hopkins, Lindo, Oldman
    SAG: Ahemed, Hopkins, Lindo, Kaluuya, Oldman
    BAFTA: Ahmed, Boseman, Firth, Hopkins, Lindo, Oldman,
    Oscar: Boseman, Hopkins, Kaluuya, Lindo, Oldman

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

That being said, I can see Chadwick winning. Yesterday I thought Hopkins was absolutely going to win between the 2, but I’m more receptive to arguments for Boseman winning now.

I just want the best performance to win to be honest

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/MatthewAStewart/status/1319730384784031746

The guy that times screentime says that Sacha Baron Cohen has 30 minutes and 14 seconds of screentime, which amounts to 23.23% of the movie. Rylance actually has more screentime than him. Lmao if they end up pushing him Lead for this.

Yet even he concedes Baron Cohen could ‘go either way’ while Rylance is solidly supporting. Category placement should not solely be based on screen-time.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

SAG: Ahemed, Hopkins, Lindo, Kaluuya, Oldman
    BAFTA: Ahmed, Boseman, Firth, Hopkins, Lindo, Oldman

Why would BAFTA go for Boseman after SAG voting Hopkins?

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Hopkins
    2. Boseman
    3. Oldman
    4. Lindo
    5. Yeun

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/MatthewAStewart/status/1319730384784031746 The guy that times screentime says that Sacha Baron Cohen has 30 minutes and 14 seconds of screentime, which amounts to 23.23% of the movie. Rylance actually has more screentime than him. Lmao if they end up pushing him Lead for this.

Screentime is hardly a factor, when the current frontrunner for this race won his first Oscar for a 20 minute role in a 2h20m movie.

BUT I do think we could see SBC and Rylance being the main pushes for Supporting Actor, with Redmayne as Lead, and YAMII as a 3rd possible Supporting contender. I do not think they plan on pushing Langella, it’s just a feeling I have.

rubbish

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

1. Hopkins 2. Boseman 3. Oldman 4. Lindo 5. Yeun

Sadly, Yeun isn’t happening in lead.

Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

Ugh I’m so annoyed that A24 have confirmed they’re campaigning Steven in Lead. It’s far too crowded for him to make it this year. Supporting is wide open and he’d be securely in there, for now anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 482 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.