Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 502 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
OccultCherry
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Either way, British excellence is probably taking it this year. We love to see it.

Are you British?

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Are you British?

Yep.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Whilst I disagree with the idea that Boseman is out of this race I do think at worst Ahmed is going to do a Kidman in 2001 and get nominated for one film at BAFTA and get nominated for the other at the Oscars. He’s got a lot of individual buzz right now.

I think BAFTA will go for the movie that could score him an Oscar nom though.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Whilst I disagree with the idea that Boseman is out of this race I do think at worst Ahmed is going to do a Kidman in 2001 and get nominated for one film at BAFTA and get nominated for the other at the Oscars. He’s got a lot of individual buzz right now.

If BAFTA is gonna nominate him it’s gonna be for Sound of Metal. Idk if he even makes the longlist for Mogul Mowgli.

Profile picture
    Leo's burner
    Topics:

I think Ahmed will end up having a similar year as Gyllenhall for Stronger.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think BAFTA will go for the movie that could score him an Oscar nom though.

If BAFTA is gonna nominate him it’s gonna be for Sound of Metal. Idk if he even makes the longlist for Mogul Mowgli.

So the reason I think he has a better chance for Mogul Mowgli is because I think both performances will be long listed in terms of the BAFTA membership vote. Mogul Mowgli has HUGE buzz within the British film industry and I know people who literally went to see it in cinemas just before the shutdown simply because of the hype. It even went on the BFI’s own subscription service for free for a week.

Mogul Mowgli also is a British film so I have a feeling Ahmed could get in solely on that if BAFTA want to push the message that the British film industry is strong (which considering what’s going on with the Arts in the UK right now I have a feeling they might) so I can easily see him get shortlisted for that instead of an American indie that might not have buzz in the UK as a film (which doesn’t mean it won’t have buzz elsewhere).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Dorsey
    Topics:

We’re not saying Boseman is out after losing a single critic award, are we? Just wanna make sure I’m caught up here.

FYC: Riz Ahmed + Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    Sidney Flanigan (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
    Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

this is clearly a two man race between chadwick and hopkins. ahmed will end up being the critics push who will get snubbed in the end.

The Adam Sandler of 2020.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Once Ahmed and Hopkins sweep critics awards, this could become a two-horse race. Sorry, Ma Rainey stans. British excellence is winning this year, methinks.

Regardless of how well Ahmad does I still think Boseman and Hopkins are the definitive Top 2. Ahmad won’t even be nominated unless Kaluuya moves to Supporting (though i do think he’ll get noms at CC and BAFTA).

John's Best of 2020

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

Regardless of how well Ahmad does I still think Boseman and Hopkins are the definitive Top 2. Ahmad won’t even be nominated unless Kaluuya moves to Supporting (though i do think he’ll get noms at CC and BAFTA).

It’s Ahmed not Ahmad.

Profile picture
    Mason
    Topics:

The boys here wouldn’t be so pressed if Ahmed didn’t stand a chance at a nomination like they so often claim.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

The boys here wouldn’t be so pressed if Ahmed didn’t stand a chance at a nomination like they so often claim.

I’m not pressed at all. He’s just objectively below Hopkins, Boseman, Lindo, Kaluuya, and Oldman.

John's Best of 2020

Profile picture
    Mason
    Topics:

I’m not pressed at all. He’s just objectively below Hopkins, Boseman, Lindo, Kaluuya, and Oldman.

Not talking about you.

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

This might be crazy but I have a really strong feeling that Holland is more of a threat than people are giving him credit for. Not for a win, that feels like Boseman v Hopkins and maybe Kaluuya, but for a nomination. It’s hard without a trailer but the role sounds like it could be quite baity and he’d be a pretty popular pick amongst voters who’d be excited by an academy newcomer. His abilities as a dramatic actor were validated by The Devil All The Time (the movie itself was just alright) and he’s with directors who he’s worked with 3 times already (I know, on marvel stuff)… I think if he has the performance then he’d make for an exciting nominee and frankly it feels like there’s at least 2 good slots still open.

FYC:

BEST ACTRESS — CAREY MULLIGAN
    BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

This might be crazy but I have a really strong feeling that Holland is more of a threat than people are giving him credit for. Not for a win, that feels like Boseman v Hopkins and maybe Kaluuya, but for a nomination. It’s hard without a trailer but the role sounds like it could be quite baity and he’d be a pretty popular pick amongst voters who’d be excited by an academy newcomer. His abilities as a dramatic actor were validated by The Devil All The Time (the movie itself was just alright) and he’s with directors who he’s worked with 3 times already (I know, on marvel stuff)… I think if he has the performance then he’d make for an exciting nominee and frankly it feels like there’s at least 2 good slots still open.

I agree. Not to mention Amazon will campaign hard for him. I think if Kaluuya moves Holland is one of the biggest threats to snatch the 5th spot, alongside Stanford and Ahmed.

John's Best of 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.