Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 495 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
OccultCherry
  • Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darlings, there’s no way on Earth that Screenwriter gets snubbed… It’s a close  race between Black Panther (for obvious reasons) vs Demented vs Screenwriter.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Posted this on the other thread but Shia LaBeouf has officially gone for supporting for Pieces of a Woman.

https://film.netflixawards.com/pieces-of-a-woman

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

I’m sure this has been brought up elsewhere but De Niro in The Irishman is completely different; his role wasn’t very showy, it was superficially similar to some of his other roles, and there was the de-aging controversy that many thought hindered his performance (Pacino’s and Pesci’s transformations were somewhat more convincing). Oldman, however, has a lengthy drunken monologue that ideally rounds off the performance (from a typical awards voter’s perspective). If there’s any equivalent to Oldman from last year it would probably be DiCaprio, who like Oldman was also coming off a recent win; there was some chatter on these forums about how he could miss out, but it never came to anything, he was solidly positioned for a nom all along but with no chance of winning. Oldman is in a similar position this year I think. Edit: Also what wins for cinematography or production design if not Mank? I could conceive of Nomadland for the former, but draw a complete blank in the latter.

All this. People comparing Mank to The Irishman forget that the former most likely will win at least 2 awards, and is at least top 2 right now in costume design, editing, director, screenplay, score and supporting actress. I think it’s very unlikely to win picture on a preferential ballot since it’s very divisive, and I could even see Fincher lose director since all the the members vote for the wins, but I think the director branch will love the film and I think he will win DGA.

Profile picture
    Lexa
    Topics:

Darlings, there’s no way on Earth that Screenwriter gets snubbed… It’s a close race between Black Panther (for obvious reasons) vs Demented vs Screenwriter.

I know you’re a fan but Screenwriter doesn’t stand a chance in this race, Prime Minister.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I think it’s hilarious that people think that a Boseman win would ruin the “integrity” of these awards, as if they’ve ever had integrity. We all know that Weinstein essentially bought Shakespeare in Love’s Oscars, and stars like Joan Crawford have influenced things behind the scenes for much more insidious reasons than sentimentality. Are you really going to get up in arms over the fact that a man is given one trophy after his untimely passing essentially for inhabiting a role that became a beacon of inspiration to millions of people all over the country in a way that Hopkins could never even hope to be? Maybe this is a bad thing to say on Gold Derby, but at the end of the day, it’s a pretty wall ornament, and they’ll just give out more next year. Get off your high horse.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

I think it’s hilarious that people think that a Boseman win would ruin the “integrity” of these awards, as if they’ve ever had integrity. We all know that Weinstein essentially bought Shakespeare in Love’s Oscars, and stars like Joan Crawford have influenced things behind the scenes for much more insidious reasons than sentimentality. Are you really going to get up in arms over the fact that a man is given one trophy after his untimely passing essentially for inhabiting a role that became a beacon of inspiration to millions of people all over the country in a way that Hopkins could never even hope to be? Maybe this is a bad thing to say on Gold Derby, but at the end of the day, it’s a pretty wall ornament, and they’ll just give out more next year. Get off your high horse.

That part!

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I also have Tom Holland in because he has 100/1 odds and you never know.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Welp, I decided to watch Mank and I really think Oldman can miss for this… his performance isn’t that impressive and voters are going to have a harder time finding sympathy/empathy for his character than actors Boseman, Hopkins or Ahmed… Of course then again the older voters and more let’s say uptight voters are going to LOVE him. I really don’t see the fuss with Mank in general if I’m honest.

Oldman is going to be nominated, Hollywood loves the roles of people with drinking problems and addictions, Dudley Moore, Denzel Washington and Jeff Bridges are just a few examples.

Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

Oldman is going to be nominated, Hollywood loves the roles of people with drinking problems and addictions, Dudley Moore, Denzel Washington and Jeff Bridges are just a few examples.

Exactly. A nom seem really possible, though the win is beyond reach.
    Also, I can totally see Chadwick winning if Viola is winning and making history again, like Washington and Berry did when they won best actor and best actress respectively.
    I can see Ahmed missing, even if he’s getting great reviews. Being the first Asian nominated in leading might prevent that and the idea of diversity by Academy voters seems only more black talent nominated in technical categories (I hope I’m completely wrong since he’s been killing it for more than 15 years).

FYC:

Best Actor:
    Delroy Lindo - Da 5 Bloods

Best Actress:
    Sidney Flanigan - Never Rarely Sometimes Always

Profile picture
    Dan Jo
    Topics:

Exactly. A nom seem really possible, though the win is beyond reach. Also, I can totally see Chadwick winning if Viola is winning and making history again, like Washington and Berry did when they won best actor and best actress respectively. I can see Ahmed missing, even if he’s getting great reviews. Being the first Asian nominated in leading might prevent that and the idea of diversity by Academy voters seems only more black talent nominated in technical categories (I hope I’m completely wrong since he’s been killing it for more than 15 years).

Sir Ben Kingsley is half Indian, half English. If ever Ahmed will get nominated he is not the first.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Posted this on the other thread but Shia LaBeouf has officially gone for supporting for Pieces of a Woman. https://film.netflixawards.com/pieces-of-a-woman

Ooh, he could probably get nominated there with how weak it is.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ooh, he could probably get nominated there with how weak it is.

Can one of the moderators confirm this or move him to supporting in the predictions centre?

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I hope Steven Yeun moves to supporting for Minari. I would easily slot him in there.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

There’s quite a diversity on the top contenders for this category this year
    It’s both strange and magnificent at the same time

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Precursor nomination predictions for Best Actor

Drama Globe

• Chadwick Boseman
    • Anthony Hopkins
    • Delroy Lindo
    • Gary Oldman
    • Tom Holland

(I’m not going to predict the Comedy Globe category because it’s so empty.)

SAG

• Chadwick Boseman
    • Anthony Hopkins
    • Delroy Lindo
    • Gary Oldman
    • Lakeith Stanfield

CC

• Chadwick Boseman
    • Anthony Hopkins
    • Delroy Lindo
    • Gary Oldman
    • Lakeith Stanfield
    • Riz Ahmed

BAFTA

• Chadwick Boseman
    • Anthony Hopkins
    • Delroy Lindo
    • Gary Oldman
    • Lakeith Stanfield
    • Riz Ahmed

Oscars

• Chadwick Boseman
    • Anthony Hopkins
    • Delroy Lindo
    • Gary Oldman
    • Lakeith Stanfield

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.