Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 466 through 471 (of 471 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
Victor
wolfali
OccultCherry
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

you knew the HFPA would love to be the ones get credit for “discovering” a new star before he explodes in the mainstream.

Mikkelson isn’t even remotely a new star though: he’s been in Star Wars, James Bond, Hannibal, and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, just to name a few.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

I have to say that with the crazy circumstances, it’ll only be harder for a foreign language performance to break through in the main categories the way Mads might have (and probably should have have after winning in Cannes for The Hunt).

Minari is a blend of English and Korean and probably as close as voters will get to that. But I can see the Globes giving Mads a Comedy/Musical mention, I guess. But I think it’s likelier to see him winning for a Javier-style villain supporting role down the road.

Profile picture
    rodben2000
    Topics:

Just finished watching Another Round. It was a very good movie, not as good as The Hunt(my favourite Vinterberg’s movie) but overall pretty solid. Mads Mikkelsen was sublime as always. With no doubt one of the most underrated actors nowadays. An Oscar nomination is more than deserved, even more because of his criminal snub for The Hunt.
    As for the question if this is a comedy or drama, in my opinion it is a 100% drama. I can’t really see why people think this is a comedy.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Mikkelson isn’t even remotely a new star though: he’s been in Star Wars, James Bond, Hannibal, and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, just to name a few.

Yeah, that’s why I put the inverted commas in discovered. While he’s known to cinephiles and the Fannibals, the Harry Potter casting news is arguably the first time that normies learned his name and just “oh that guy from that thing”.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

While he’s known to cinephiles and the Fannibals, the Harry Potter casting news is arguably the first time that normies learned his name and just “oh that guy from that thing”.

I guess that’s a fair point. I feel like most normals still know his name though.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

It’s happened before at the Oscars. For Best Actor 1983 Robert Duvall beat four Brits: Michael Caine, Tom Conti, Tom Courtenay and Albert Finney. Also for Best Actress 1997 Helen Hunt beat Helena Bonham Carter, Julie Christie, Judi Dench and Kate Winslet. Interesting that the American won both times (and the same could happen this time).

Thanks for the stats, but only 2 instances in the last 50 years kinda suggests it’s still extremely unlikely to happen again, hence my doubt.

And you’re right, it’s certainly “interesting” the sole American nominees won those times considering their competition…

Has there ever been 5 British only nominees outside BAFTA? now I’m being curious…

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 6 posts - 466 through 471 (of 471 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.