Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 510 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
wolfali
SN
  • Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I really don’t see Oldman being snubbed at industry awards. I suppose it could be another De Niro situation but I’m not ready to drop him quite yet

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

This is a bit of a ridiculous comparison. A horror film and a topical Spike Lee film that had strong Oscar buzz upon its release are not comparable.

Us was a genre film, but it was made by a guy who had just won an Oscar for another genre film that was a huge awards hit just two years before. You say like it was directed by a nobody like Hereditary.

Da 5 Bloods is the equivalent of an April release under a normal season. Early contenders are usually universally acclaimed films, not divisive ones like this. And I don’t remember the last time an actor was nominated for a film released that early.

Profile picture
    Leo's burner
    Topics:

And I don’t remember the last time an actor was nominated for a film released that early.

I mean Kaluuya was nominated for a film that came out all the way in February, but that was universally acclaimed. I think Lindo will be fine because I don’t see any other contenders bumping him out of the 5 as of right now. He’s a solid 3rd spot.

Profile picture
    Margot
    Topics:

Delroy won’t be affected because his character voted for trump. The movie is way deeper than that given the complex of his character to where it’s almost irrelevant….. but relevant in some aspects, if that makes sense. I don’t think that would be an issue.

What y’all got going on over here?

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Given his, let’s say “less than great”, relationship with the HFPA, it will be real easy for him to miss there altogether and that just keeps steamrolling throughout the televised.

Oldman feels pretty safe at the Globes though. I kind of feel like SAG will snub him though, but I think he’ll make the other televised awards.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I literally want both Lindo and Boseman to win soo bad ugh

This is one Critics Choice tie I could get behind.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

They just awarded The Joker last year.

Strange, I don’t remember Arthur Fleck being a Trump supporter.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Delroy won’t be affected because his character voted for trump. The movie is way deeper than that given the complex of his character to where it’s almost irrelevant….. but relevant in some aspects, if that makes sense. I don’t think that would be an issue.

Well, yes, but we all know how superficial the voters can be.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Right now, I would say there are three clear locks: Boseman, Hopkins and Oldman.
    The fact that Mikklesen is now probably going the win the Comedy/Musical globe makes me think that he’s going to get in as well.
    That leaves a fifth spot.
    What recent years have shown is that the Academy doesn’t nominate young actors in lead unless they’re in a BP nominee. That means no Ahmed unless SoM gets in BP which I very much doubt happens. Same for John David Washington. I’ve already explained why I also don’t think Lindo is getting in. That leaves Ben-Adir and Yeun who are leads in BP nominees, Colin Firth as a possible veteran nomination or Hanks who’s in both categories.

Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

I’m not so certain that Mikkelsen would be a frontrunner to win. I don’t think he had as strong of a narrative as Huppert had in her year (she also had several strong film festival movies that year). And it could be a way for them to reward Leslie Odom, Jr. for Hamilton so that they can give Supporting to someone else; SBC seems likelier there since they already rewarded his Borat performance (and Bakalova could win as the film’s prize) — or even Chadwick if they want to reward Hopkins.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

SBC seems likelier there since they already rewarded his Borat performance (and Bakalova could win as the film’s prize) — or even Chadwick if they want to reward Hopkins.

?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

Why do people suddenly act as if Lindo doesn’t get nomination? He gets in. Also no way Hopkins will win Oscar in a line-up with 2-3 POC nominees. Chadwick wins it.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And I don’t remember the last time an actor was nominated for a film released that early.

Actor: Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out (February)
    Actress: Julianne Moore, Still Alice (January)

You say it like not one has ever been nominated for a film released early.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

You ignored the most important part of my comment: “early contenders are usually universally acclaimed films, not divisive ones like this”.

And Still Alice was actually a late contender, not an early one lol

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Still Alice was actually a late contender. It had a limited release in December and went on to have a wide release in January during voting.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 510 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.