Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 516 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
John Berchmans
wolfali
SN
  • Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

I’m not so certain that Mikkelsen would be a frontrunner to win. I don’t think he had as strong of a narrative as Huppert had in her year (she also had several strong film festival movies that year). And it could be a way for them to reward Leslie Odom, Jr. for Hamilton so that they can give Supporting to someone else; SBC seems likelier there since they already rewarded his Borat performance (and Bakalova could win as the film’s prize) — or even Chadwick if they want to reward Hopkins.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

SBC seems likelier there since they already rewarded his Borat performance (and Bakalova could win as the film’s prize) — or even Chadwick if they want to reward Hopkins.

?

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

Why do people suddenly act as if Lindo doesn’t get nomination? He gets in. Also no way Hopkins will win Oscar in a line-up with 2-3 POC nominees. Chadwick wins it.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And I don’t remember the last time an actor was nominated for a film released that early.

Actor: Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out (February)
    Actress: Julianne Moore, Still Alice (January)

You say it like not one has ever been nominated for a film released early.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

You ignored the most important part of my comment: “early contenders are usually universally acclaimed films, not divisive ones like this”.

And Still Alice was actually a late contender, not an early one lol

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Still Alice was actually a late contender. It had a limited release in December and went on to have a wide release in January during voting.

Profile picture
    Miguel Marrero
    Topics:

Should win: Lindo

Will win: Bozeman

There ya go lol

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Still Alice was actually a late contender. It had a limited release in December and went on to have a wide release in January during voting.

My bad!

You ignored the most important part of my comment: “early contenders are usually universally acclaimed films, not divisive ones like this”.

You say like it was directed by a nobody like Hereditary.

Why do you have to be some combative or patronising whenever you respond to me?

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Delroy will be fine, it’s not like the movie was totally forgotten.
    We have even Chadwick battling for a nod for it, so i think he’s safe, way safer than Oldman.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Critics groups remember it, but will the industry awards remember/care about Da 5 Bloods? I’m not sure.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Miguel Marrero
    Topics:

You mean just like they remembered and cared about Antonio Banderas after he swept the trifecta for a film that premiered way back at Cannes?

Ouch lol owned

Profile picture
    BudnP
    Topics:

I just don’t think this is fair. You deserve to have whatever opinion you want on Boseman’s performance: if you hated it, that’s fine. But the fact is that the majority of the people who have seen Ma Rainey love Boseman’s performance and are in agreement that he would be a deserving winner, even if it wasn’t their personal favorite performance in the category. There is absolutely no way he wouldn’t be a contender for the win if he was still alive. Now, would he be the frontrunner to win? We’ll never know for sure. Hopkins had a ton of buzz too and it’s hard to say who would have the advantage if Boseman was still alive. But I think it would still be between those two and still be a close race.

Not sure if it would have been between those two… I feel like Delroy Lindo and Riz Ahmed would have been the main challengers to Hopkins. And, given that The Father doesn’t seem to have as much steam as initially thought, I feel like Delroy might have won a surprise Oscar. Chadiwck would probably have been nominated, though.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

With the divisiveness of Da 5 Bloods I’m not sure it would win an above-the-line Oscar in any situation, and while I haven’t yet been able to see Sound of Metal Riz Ahmed’s role doesn’t scream Oscar-winner to me, no matter how good he is in it. I could be wrong about that, but Chadwick is helped by not only having a big performance but also possibly being in the film closest to Best Picture among the Best Actor field. I’m not sure why it’s so difficult for people to imagine how he would win non-posthumously.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Curious why D5B has poor audience reviews. I think it’s the best Netflix release this year tbh, and it has great reviews. And it’s imo no worse than Blackkklansman

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 516 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.