Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 6)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 511 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Victor
John Berchmans
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

He’s coming!

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

What if Riz Amed is the Best Actor winner and we’ve been underestimating him all along.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Chadwick Boseman has been putting up too much of a fight at the critic awards. That is supposed to Riz Ahmed’s stronghold. Delroy Lindo splitting the vote is not helping either.

Kingsley Ben-Adir is getting the fifth slot, by the way. Nobody cares about Gary Oldman for some reason. (I do.) He deserves, but we see this happen sometimes after someone gets an Oscar and the sinking of Mank is obviously not helping. Steven Yeun is not going to get the number-ones from people (who never saw or cared for Burning) for a passive supporting performance. Ben-Adir’s Breakthrough performance in the meaty role of Malcolm X has what it takes to capitalize on the open slot. I do not know what it going on with the flopping of One Night in Miami… at the precursors and I even have it missing the Best Picture nomination, but Best Actor is a weird race, so he can overcome it.

Tom Hanks is crying that he did not have this field when he competed for Captain Phillips, as is Jake Gyllenhaal for Nightcrawler and so forth. I think that Mads Mikkelsen almost had what it takes, but the role was just a little shy of being meaty enough for an Antonio Banderas-style rallying for career achievement.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I think Oldman is vulnerable but I don’t feel comfortable predicting anyone else at the moment. If anyone is going to overtake him, I think it’s going to be Stanfield, but most of the praise I’ve seen has gone towards Kaluuya and Fishback. I think Judas and the Black Messiah has what it takes to be a SAG ensemble contender but it remains to be seen how many voters will care about non-Kaluuya performances.

Ben-Adir has been flopping at critics groups (not a single mention) which is so odd considering how well Odor Jr. is doing down in supporting and how freaking great he is as Malcolm X. As hard as I try, there really is no explaining his performance’s lack of passion from critics casting their ballots (the same critics that raved about him in their reviews). I could see a world where he gets in for supporting at the Globes (1-2 open slots there and when the Globes change categories on someone, they like to follow through) but does that complicate things for him? I really want to see him be nominated but I’m not willing to bet on it right now.

Profile picture
    Dorsey
    Topics:

Odom Jr has name recognition from Hamilton while Ben-Adir does not. Easy as that. I liked his performance a hell of a lot better than Oldman’s but he’s not happening.

FYC: Riz Ahmed + Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    Sidney Flanigan (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
    Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Is Gary Oldman really getting that 5th slot a la JLaw in Joy?

Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

Chadwick Boseman
    Riz Ahmed
    Delroy Lindo
    Kingsley Ben-Adir
    Steven Yeun

Spoiler: John David Washington

I’m not saying that that’s gonna be the lineup, but can you just imagine how MENTAL that group would be?

I just love movies. And awards.

Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

Ahmed, Boseman, and Lindo seem strong and Hopkins still seems safe enough, in spite of his film’s overperformance (crazy he’s 4th now compared to how confident people were about his chances earlier in the year).

I have Yeun in fifth over Mank because I’m not sensing passion for Mank and its buzz seems muted. Meanwhile, Minari is overperforming and Yeun is a recognizable face stateside from The Walking Dead and overseas (at least among artistic AMPAS international voters invited) from stuff like Burning.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Is Gary Oldman really getting that 5th slot a la JLaw in Joy?

No, because unlike JLaw, he’s actually deserving.

Profile picture
    maxinho
    Topics:

My Best Actor ranking:

1. Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)
    2. Antonio de la Torre (The Endless Trench)
    3. Anthony Hopkins (The Father)
    4. Adarsh Gourav (The White Tiger)
    5. Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)
    6. John Magaro (First Cow)
    7. Steven Yeun (Minari)
    8. Kingsley Ben-Adir (One Night In Miami…)
    9. Jude Law (The Nest)
    10. Gary Oldman (Mank)
    11. Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods)
    12. Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom)
    13. Jesse Plemons (I’m Thinking of Ending Things)
    14. Roberto Benigni (Pinocchio)
    15. Andy Samberg (Palm Springs)

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

No, because unlike JLaw, he’s actually deserving.

Yeah i know, it’s more for the situation
    He’s hanging by a thread, but everyone who’s a threat to him doesn’t seem to catch up.

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

Chadwick Boseman Riz Ahmed Delroy Lindo Kingsley Ben-Adir Steven Yeun Spoiler: John David Washington I’m not saying that that’s gonna be the lineup, but can you just imagine how MENTAL that group would be?

Would be the first time no white actor was nominated

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    Noe
    Topics:

Riz Ahmed next film, Flee, an animated documentary in which he is an executive producer and does voice acting, is already receiving high praises at Sundance.

This man 🔥

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Yeah i know, it’s more for the situation He’s hanging by a thread, but everyone who’s a threat to him doesn’t seem to catch up.

Well even removing quality from the mix, Oldman’s situation is very different from Lawrence’s. Her film was an enormous bust and she was the only part of it gettin any award talk. Oldman’s film, while it’s buzz has lowered quite a bit, is still considered a player in both above and below the line categories.

Profile picture
    Noe
    Topics:

Riz Ahmed next film, Flee, an animated documentary in which he is an executive producer and does voice acting, is already receiving high praises at Sundance.

This man 🔥

🔥 And NEON just made the first deal of the festival for Flee!

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 511 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.