Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 6)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 511 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Victor
John Berchmans
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I wouldn’t predict him until the Golden Globe nominations announcement. We still don’t know what category placement the HFPA accepted, but if they nominate him as Comedy Actor he can easily win there

You have a point, actually I didn’t think about the Globes when writing my last post. They could lend him more visibility if he’s in Comedy and wins, although the Oscar field may be too tough for him to crack anyway.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Ahmed is clearly the critics favorite, and that doesnt necessarily mean he is gonna happen. Im predicting him, but I wouldnt be surprised if the Globes ignore him and Raci and their hype fade away.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Ahmed is clearly the critics favorite

He isn’t. There’s no clear consensus and Ahmed won none of the trifecta, although he was runner-up at LA and a fairly distant third at NSFC.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I think Delroy Lindo has an small lead on critics pics, but Riz Ahmed and Chadwick Boseman are appearing just as much.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Delroy Lindo is the critics favorite at the moment, with Chadwick Boseman in a close second. Ahmed is probably 3rd Place though.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Gotham Award for Best Actor: Riz AhmedSound of Metal

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

Gotham Award for Best Actor: Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal

That’s called TASTE 👏

FYC:

BEST ACTRESS — CAREY MULLIGAN
    BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well we know Riz at least has Willem Dafoe’s endorsement.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Boseman
    2. Lindo
    3. Hopkins
    4. Ahmed
    5. Oldman

(6.Yeun)

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I highly doubt that Tom Hanks is happening for that movie, but it’s Tom Hanks and everyone loves him so who knows.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

Profile picture
    BudnP
    Topics:

Actor Predictions: (Ignore the ones on my “actual” predictions  – I’m just tyring to get lucky on the 100/1 odds)

Locks

1. Chadwck Boseman – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    The most secure nominaton on this list by a wide margin. It’s almost definitely going to be a contender in a lot of categories and going to be a best Picture nominee. There is no way that the film’s MVP is missing out. Also, he’s almost definitely going to win. No one else has anywhere near as strong of a narrative. Hopkins and Oldman have already won. JDW, Riz Ahmed and Lakeith are the new generation coming in to the fray and aren’t nearly as established as Boseman. Delroy, possibly, has the second best narrative, but he is less likely, due to this almost seeming like a late-career breakout role for him. Unlike Boseman, he might have another chance to win. And, also, he is no where near as cemented into the industry, as Chadwick Boseman was.

2. Riz Ahmed (The Sound Of Metal)
    At one point, I wasn’t convinced he was going to get nominated, but now it seems like his film is an across-the-board player. It would be strange, given how central his portrayal is to the film, if it were nominated in a ton of categories, but not for Best Actor.

(Relatively) Safe

3. Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods)
    This one is only lower down, due to me being less convinced that Da 5 Bloods will become a Best Picture nominee. However, I feel like there is a slight possibility that Da 5 Bloods could become a major threat in several categories. But it’s hard to gage the Academy’s reaction to this film, as it’s been extremely divisive elsewhere.

4. Anthony Hopkins (The Father)
    It once seemed like Hopkins might win, but the race is not really heading in his direction. It seems like a lot of the Critics awards are going for others and it isn’t performing quite as well as one would hope or have expected, based on its initial reaction at Sundance, I believe. In fact, I’d say that if some other films gain a lot of traction, then Hopkins is going to be a bit touch-and-go in regards to a nomination.

Strong Contenders

5. Gary Oldman (Mank)
    Another film that is not doing as well as one would hope in the race, thus far. However, as others have pointed out, Oldman is great here. In fact, this is, for me, at least, much better than his Oscar-winning performance in Darkest Hour, which I found to be an undeserved win. Speaking of, given that he has won recently for a performance that I’m not sure really holds up, I feel like his position in this race has weakened quite a lot and has lead to many being highly indifferent to him gaining a nomination, given that he already won for an undeserved performance. All the same, Mank is quite likely going to get a Best Picture nomination and other nominations across the board. And, with Oldman being one of the most warmly-received aspects of the movie, it would be no surprise if he received a nomination here.

6. John David Washington – Malcolm & Marie
    Given that Zendaya already seems to be shooting up within her category, as well as JDW getting almost as many raves, I think this one should be on everyone’s mind. Given that it was the first Lockdown movie, if you like, I feel like there is potential for this to gain a lot of buzz. From my understanding, JDW is playing a role where he gets to display a great deal of dramatic acting, which could play well for him. (In BlacKKKlansman, he was playing a role that coasted on his natural charisma and humor, whereas Tenet was a role, which focused more on his physical presence and, again, his charimsa. This time the charisma is bound to help, but there seems to be an intensity here that hasn’t been seen before.)

7. Steven Yuen – Minari
    Given that his film is likely to be nominated for Best Picture, it could be argued that this is a safe choice than 5 & 6. The one problem here is that Yuen seems to be given less screentime than 5 & 6. Also, his performance seems to be far more subdued than theirs, which usually only works for getting an Oscar nom, when it’s an older actor (i.e. Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy); Tommy Lee Jones (In The Valley Of Elah). However, he is in a film that’s getting a lot of buzz, so he is certainly a contender for a nomination here.

8. Lakeith Stanfield – Judas And The Black Messiah
    An interesting one here, as a lot of this will depend upon how much of a contender this film is. However, given that many seem to think that Kaluuya is a lock for Best Supporting, there is a good chance that Stanfield could get a surprise nomination here, if his film overperforms. It, also, helps that his performance seems to be gaining a lot of positive reception, with some considering him to stand out even more than Kaluuya. Alas, though, his chances all depend upon the Critical Reaction to his films, as well as how it performs at the precursors to the Oscars.

Possibilities

9. Kingsley Ben-Aidr – One Night In Miami

10. Colin Firth – Supernova

11. Mads Mikkelsen – Another Round

Unlikely, But There’s A Small Chance They Could Happen

12. Tom Holland – Cherry

13. Tom Hanks – News Of The World

14. Sacha Baron Cohen – Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

15. Tahar Rahim – The Mauritanian

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Awards wins thus far:

1. Riz Ahmed – 7
    2. Chadwick Boseman – 6
    3. Delroy Lindo – 6
    4. Anthony Hopkins – 3

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

1. Boseman
    2. Hopkins
    3. Ahmed
    4. Lindo
    5. Oldman

I noticed some experts are starting to predict a Lindo snub and I hope that won’t happen. Oldman should be the one missing.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I don’t see how Hopkins isn’t safe for the nomination. Yes, The Father seems to be having some viewability issues at the moment but I don’t think that will still be the case come the voting period. Some have criticised SPC’s handling of the movie which could jeopardise it for other noms but he’s Anthony friggin’ Hopkins in an awards baity role, of course he’s going to get in. And SPC has not usually had problems with getting its top acting players nominated.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hopkins is safe however (whilst I am predicting Boseman) I am starting to wonder if Riz Ahmed might be the person who could be the “British upset” at BAFTA. Not only does he have <i>Sound of Metal </i>to help him there but he also has his auteur project Mogul Mowgli.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 511 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.