Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 505 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
OccultCherry
wolfali
Philip
  • Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

…and the reality is that he’s sweeping nothing lol he hasn’t even swept the critics pls

Try not to have a heart attack when Anthony loses.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

We should probably call the ambulance in advance.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

chadwick’s floppage will begin with him losing the globe

just wait and see x

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Darlings I just got sent a screener for Sound of Metal! My life problems have been solved lol now I can actually watch it lol (it’s not on Amazon in the UK).

Sorry for the constant moaning about me not seeing this film and exploding my eagerness to see it on here lol.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Three Billboards?

I can only imagine they mean Jojo Rabbit because Rockwell was absolutely the male MVP of Three Billboards (even though the whole cast sans maybe Lucas Hedges was brilliant). Everything he does in the final act is gold.

I didn’t mean Sam Rockwell specifically but the not the best (which again is subjective but you get what I mean) supporting actor in a movie getting recognition. SBC in Trial, Boseman in D5B, etc. I’m sure there are plenty of examples I can’t think of rn

But since we’re in the Best Actor thread here let me throw in a hot take about Da 5 Bloods, which I just watched today. I didn’t particularly enjoy it and it was an amalgamation of factors why. What I really don’t see though is the narrative of Lindo being snubbed because his character is a trump voter because it literally gets mentioned twice in fleeting moments and he’s wearing a MAGA hat.
    That being said: I definitely see how his acting was great and all but the movie almost made me dislike this character so much that I don’t want to see it rewarded??? War veteran, PTSD, family problems I get that someone like that acts differently but some things just made me go: what? Which, again, is probably more an issue I have with the writing then I guess.

Bottom line: I can see why people would wanna not vote for it despite the acting being great.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I agree with you wholeheartedly Ryusei (even though I am a fan of Lindo’s performance) and can understand where you’re coming from but if that’s the reason then I wonder why white actors get away with playing nasty characters. We just saw a someone win Best Actor for playing a psychopath and we’ve seen actors nominated for playing Nazis.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Rmcd8
    Topics:

I think Anthony could win BAFTA for obvious reasons, and very potentially GG (given he’s never won in the latter), and GG also nominated The Father for best Drama and not Ma Rainey.

Chadwick will for sure win the Oscar. Probably the CC as well (they could go Ahmed but honestly I don’t think they do anything other than band wagon the likely Oscar winner anymore).

If Lindo gets in, I guess Yeun is out? Is that really likelyto happen? Minari seems to be exceptionally popular in it’s own right, and certainly compared to D5B.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Insulting Chadwick/his performance, even if it wasn’t your favourite, is tasteless to me. At the same time, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people supporting Hopkins or liking his performance more.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Critics don’t vote for the Oscars that’s true but people need to stop saying “so and so will win because who cares about critics and their conspiracies?” and start looking at context.

So Green Book & The King’s Speech winning Best Picture were an indication that critics somehow matter in the context of Oscar voting? 🤔

Not buying it. They’ll vote for whoever they like. Which is why Glenn Close could easily win Supporting for a horribly reviewed POS movie.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    maxinho
    Topics:

Hopkins hasn’t won a single SAG award in his career either.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

I agree with you wholeheartedly Ryusei (even though I am a fan of Lindo’s performance) and can understand where you’re coming from but if that’s the reason then I wonder why white actors get away with playing nasty characters. We just saw a someone win Best Actor for playing a psychopath and we’ve seen actors nominated for playing Nazis.

For me it has less to do with if a character is a bad guy or not but just personal perception of the character. It’s not like he is inherently bad it’s just that he’s plagued by trauma. I could see other people having this same perception of disliking a character for someone like Jake Gylenhaal in Nightcrawler or Rosamund Pike in I Care a Lot (from what I’ve heard). It’s strictly a personal opinion and less an analysis.

Jake got nominated everywhere except for the oscars and he was fantastic but maybe people just couldnt get into his character because he was such a villain protagonist so he lost everything.As opposed to, as you mentioned, Joaquin Phoenix in Joker, maybe people sympathized with this shunned character more and liked the performance more which resulted in a sweep. Hard to say.

It’s not over for Lindo and he is not his character obviously but that’s what voters see and vote for/don’t vote for.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So umm. Give. Riz. The. Oscar.

Profile picture
    maxinho
    Topics:

Let’s get real, Hopkins and Ahmed outacted Chadwick, the latter’s chances are more based on sympathy and sadness for his death than anything else.

Profile picture
    walkinuniverse
    Topics:

GG: Hopkins
    CC: Ahmed
    SAG: Boseman
    BAFTA: Hopkins
    Oscar: Hopkins

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Let’s get real, Hopkins and Ahmed outacted Chadwick, the latter’s chances are more based on sympathy and sadness for his death than anything else.

Not everyone agrees with that. I think they all gave career best performances.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.