Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 504 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
OccultCherry
wolfali
Philip
  • Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

I can’t wait to watch Hopkins this week at the movie theater.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

I can’t wait to watch Hopkins this week at the movie theater.

Bring some tissue. He’ll make you cry.

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

Yeah, there will be a serious backlash if Chadwick misses tomorrow. They’re not crazy to not award him.

I do agree that HFPA will face backlash as if they’re not facing it already with their membership having zero Blacks but I still have a feeling that Sir Anthony Hopkins will win. I’ve seen The Father and he was pretty good PLUS he’s never won GG…………

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

There’s no real reason for a significant backlash. If Boseman loses it’s not going to be against white mediocrity, since Ahmed and Hopkins, the only two with real chances, do not represent that in this race.

I’m predicting Hopkins for the Globe because I’m sensing a 1917 moment for The Father. They clearly liked The Father more than Ma Rainey’s and of course, for some reason Hopkins never won a Golden Globe, so he’s overdue there.

This could age like milk but I’m sticking with this for tomorrow.

FYC

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

Excuse me for asking, but on pure performance, do you all think that Boseman’s performance really worthy of a win?

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Excuse me for asking, but on pure performance, do you all think that Boseman’s performance really worthy of a win?

It’s not my favourite, but yeah, it’s win worthy

FYC

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

Yes, and he would’ve probably been in a similar position if he were still alive to campaign for this performance today. How’s that for a “hot take.”

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

Boseman winning wouldn’t be the worst Best Actor win by any means…but I am still firmly on the Riz Ahmed train.

Keep in mind, I haven’t seen THE FATHER yet but should hopefully be doing so this coming week.

However, I do suspect that if Boseman loses the Globe that the backlash given will be severe. I would be surprised if it is not.

I am tentatively predicting Hopkins to win the Globe but I still think Boseman will win the Oscar.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Having now seen most of the contenders in this category I would personally nominate Ahmed, Fiennes, Hopkins, Lindo and Rahim and I’d give the win to Ahmed. Nonetheless, Boseman will be an excellent winner. I thought Kingsley Ben-Adir, Gary Oldman, LaKeith Stanfield and Steven Yeun were all excellent too.

Even though I think a lot of the films in contention this year are weaker than in usual years (sans The FatherJudas and the Black Messiah, Minari, Nomadland and Promising Young Woman) I feel like the performance in contention in the actor category are some of the strongest we’ve seen in a while.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

It’s not when there are people who gave more outstanding work (from what I’ve seen and others who have received universal acclaim). Nonetheless, the unfortunate way he passed away, the respect he has received from the industry and the fact that the performance is very showy with tons of support will seal the deal.
    In any case, he’s still better than the one who won two years ago.
    I’m really pissed about Turman not getting nominated in supporting.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Boseman is winning, and the family accepting will be the highlight of the Oscar night.
    They will do some big thing to remember him.

It’s cool.

I’m predicting him to sweep but i can see Hopkins winning the Globes and BAFTA.
    SAG is practically a lock for Boseman and he’s taking the Oscar even in that scenario.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

It is. I prefer Ahmed and I think I’ll prefer Hopkins once I finally see The Father, but Chadwick was that good. I’m not sure he would’ve won if he was still alive, but he would 100% be nominated and win competitive.

Profile picture
    Woody
    Topics:

I told you guys once you see Anthony Hopkins performance you wouldn’t be so adamant that Chadwick Boseman is a sure thing.

Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darling, no. He’s not. He would be deserving of a nod at most.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

If it’s so universally accepted that people who have seen both The Father and Ma Rainey prefer Hopkins, then why couldn’t he even place 2nd at LAFCA even though his film won the editing award there, so clearly enough voters had seen it? Why did Boseman beat him both there and at the London Film Critics Circle, of all places?

And don’t say sentiment for Boseman because a whole bunch of other critics awards went in a different direction. If those groups had no qualms in passing over Boseman’s narrative, why would these two?

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.