Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 492 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
Naiad_Lyne
wolfali
SN
  • Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

Screen time data for Minari from Screentime Central

– Steven Yeun – 48:28 (42.07%)
    – Yeri Han – 45:11 (39.22%)
    – Alan Kim – 44:54 (38.98%)
    – Yuh-jung Youn – 26:02 (22.60%)
    – Noel Kate Cho – 22:31 (19.55%)
    – Will Patton – 12:44 (11.05%)

It was the right move to put Yeun in Lead and I’m glad it paid off.

Still celebrating Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

FYC Emmys: The Underground Railroad

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What I failed to realise with my predictions is that some voters will automatically go to Yeun as the lead of the film in their mind due to the fact that not only is he the most famous one in this film but his character is the patriarch too.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darlings, Thatcher just saw The Father… Demented not winning the Oscar is A ROBBERY.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    asianmoviegeek
    Topics:

I can’t with the people doubting Yeun‘s category placement. Yeun is the patriarch and Kim is the son. Isn’t that common sense?? So glad it paid off and zaddy Steven Yeun made history.

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Darlings, Thatcher just saw The Father… Demented not winning the Oscar is A ROBBERY.

Am I the only one who had mixed feelings about Boseman’s performance and character in Ma Rainey? Is his character supposedly an asshole, mentally unstable, depressed, or a villain, or what? Leeve annoyed me so much during the entire runtime. I coud do a drinking game everytime he yells ‘motherf*cker’ and ‘shoe’. But I get the commitment, all right.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Everyone on these forums keeps saying the Academy will give it to Boseman to avoid Twitter backlash but I’m 100% certain that’s not why he’s sweeping. Acadeny voters just genuinely live Boseman and his performance and want to reward him. Bsck when Ma Rainey came out, all of the critics and pundits were gushing over Boseman’s performance and saying he HAD to win this year. Even journalists who were predicting Hopkins before suddenly changed their minds. That plus his posthumous death and the immense amount of goodwill he built up throughout his life is why he’s winning, NOT because of Twitter backlash. The Academy doesn’t give a fuck about Twitter backlash. If they did then Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody wouldn’t be Oscar winners.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    fvg627
    Topics:

Am I the only one who had mixed feelings about Boseman’s performance and character in Ma Rainey? Is his character supposedly an asshole, mentally unstable, depressed, or a villain, or what? Leeve annoyed me so much during the entire runtime. I coud do a drinking game everytime he yells ‘motherf*cker’ and ‘shoe’. But I get the commitment, all right.

I didn’t think I’d see someone else sum up my own feelings so perfectly. To Boseman’s credit I think it was mostly a screenplay/direction problem (thank god the script was snubbed), but all of his big monologues felt very forced and I had no idea at all how I was supposed to feel about his character. Also it’s hard to take you seriously as a trumpet player when you did not have the fingerings correct once. (Again not really Boseman’s fault.) And (SPOILERS) the climax with the stabbing was so unexpected that it was frankly laughable. Anyways I haven’t seen Hopkins but Ahmed>>Boseman

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Everyone on these forums keeps saying the Academy will give it to Boseman to avoid Twitter backlash but I’m 100% certain that’s not why he’s sweeping. Acadeny voters just genuinely live Boseman and his performance and want to reward him. Bsck when Ma Rainey came out, all of the critics and pundits were gushing over Boseman’s performance and saying he HAD to win this year. Even journalists who were predicting Hopkins before suddenly changed their minds. That plus his posthumous death and the immense amount of goodwill he built up throughout his life is why he’s winning, NOT because of Twitter backlash. The Academy doesn’t give a fuck about Twitter backlash. If they did then Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody wouldn’t be Oscar winners.

None of the above, he’s a victim of the times he’s in. He has the arrogance and ambition to try and go above and beyond his glass ceiling that he unfortunately doesnt know is there or if he does know, he at least thinks it doesnt apply to him.

As for green book and rhapsody winning that was twitter miscalculation, not ignoring twitter.

Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

I finally saw The Father and yeah, we’re not only talking about one of the best performances of the year, but from the century. What Anthony did was brilliant and by the end people watching could not even make a sound. Poignant movie about what many of us may be facing down the road. Haven’t seen that reaction at the theater since Huppert in Elle.

Darling, you stated facts… People at my theater were tremendously shocked by Demented Hopkins and the film itself. It’s probably his career-best work and that says a lot.

I doubt someone really thinks Trumpeter Boseman gave a superior performance… Black Panther is winning because he’s dead but performance-wise doesn’t come close to Hopkins’ masterclass. Even Deaf Drummer gives a better performance…

The Oscars should go to the best performances. Boseman may deserve a tribute award, but he’s far from being the best actor of the year.

Call me what you want, Thatcher doesn’t care. It is the simple truth.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Darling, you stated facts… People at my theater were tremendously shocked by Demented Hopkins and the film itself. It’s probably his career-best work and that says a lot. I doubt someone really thinks Trumpeter Boseman gave a superior performance… Black Panther is winning because he’s dead but performance-wise doesn’t come close to Hopkins’ masterclass. Even Deaf Drummer gives a better performance… The Oscars should go to the best performances. Boseman may deserve a tribute award, but he’s far from being the best actor of the year. Call me what you want, Thatcher doesn’t care. It is the simple truth.

Demented/Deaf Drummer… Someone pick me from the floor lol
    I have learned to like Thatcher more every year. Only the PM can get away with this.
    Yes, Anthony is the moment.

Profile picture
    Monty Davis
    Topics:

I have read on some pages where certain people say that Chadwick Boseman’s triumph will be similar to what happened to Elizabeth Taylor 60 years ago. (However, Liz miraculously recovered and was able to collect her award.)

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

I just watched Minari and I think Mads Mikkelsen and Tahar Rahim deserves more than Steven Yeun. This performance is very subtle and even Yeri Han impressed me more than he did.

Now I know why BAFTAs snubbed Yeun. They really delivered the best lineup this year with Hopkins, Boseman, Rahim, Mikkelsen, and Ahmed in it.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I coud do a drinking game everytime he yells ‘motherf*cker’ and ‘shoe’.

Crying.

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Noomi Rapace Lamb (Actress)
    Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, Timothy Spall Spencer (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Penelope Cruz, Israel Elejalde, Milena Smit, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma Madres Paralelas (Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren The Duke (Actor/Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I for one though Boseman was spectacular, it’s not my favorite of the 5 men but i won’t be mad with his win.

Profile picture
    CitizenBlake
    Topics:

I hate to have to say this, but posthumous nominations and of course wins are extremely rare. Posthumous Oscar wins for acting are posthumous wins not merely because of the person’s passing, they have to be great performances hands down. It’s obvious Hopkins, who is a proud yet personable man himself (and who is simply put the best actor in this category) isn’t campaigning and attending awards events out of respect for Mr Boseman. That goes for the remaining 3 nominees in Ahmed, Yeun and Oldman. They all know the inherent respect in Hollywood that Chadwick Boseman had and always will have in spite of his tragic passing.

Now I say this as gently as possible: had Chadwick not died, there would obviously be a lot more competition for the win. As it is now, it’s clear that none of the other nominees really want to promote themselves or campaign at all because they know that it would be in poor taste. Boseman’s record the season isn’t like, say, Heath Ledger’s was back in the day. Ledger was about as close to undeniable as one could get, and he cleaned up almost every single award, whereas Boseman has always had strong competition from Ahmed, Hopkins and the unnominated Delroy Lindo. Boseman might have not even gotten nominated let alone win. Say he did get nominated, he might very well have won in a much tighter category where first place votes would fly different places left and right.

But I think that if we were looking at the Oscars marathon through a sphere where Boseman was still with us, I think we would be feeling his chances held back by the film underperforming at the Oscars in this hypothetical timeline (“Ma Rainey” missing BP and Screenplay).

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 492 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.