Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 481 through 492 (of 492 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
Naiad_Lyne
wolfali
SN
  • Profile picture
    maxinho
    Topics:

If there’s justice in this world, Hopkins will win the oscar for that magnificent masterclass of acting, not shade to Boseman, but Hopkins outacted everyone in that category.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Just an observation but it’s peculiar how moderators ban accounts that give constructive opinions or predictions yet those like Margaret Thatcher who use inflammatory language and purposefully troll are allowed to post.

Boseman gave a career best performance and deserves to win. Talk about his death being the sole reason is disrespectful and untrue.

Profile picture
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

I hate to have to say this, but posthumous nominations and of course wins are extremely rare. Posthumous Oscar wins for acting are posthumous wins not merely because of the person’s passing, they have to be great performances hands down. It’s obvious Hopkins, who is a proud yet personable man himself (and who is simply put the best actor in this category) isn’t campaigning and attending awards events out of respect for Mr Boseman. That goes for the remaining 3 nominees in Ahmed, Yeun and Oldman. They all know the inherent respect in Hollywood that Chadwick Boseman had and always will have in spite of his tragic passing. Now I say this as gently as possible: had Chadwick not died, there would obviously be a lot more competition for the win. As it is now, it’s clear that none of the other nominees really want to promote themselves or campaign at all because they know that it would be in poor taste. Boseman’s record the season isn’t like, say, Heath Ledger’s was back in the day. Ledger was about as close to undeniable as one could get, and he cleaned up almost every single award, whereas Boseman has always had strong competition from Ahmed, Hopkins and the unnominated Delroy Lindo. Boseman might have not even gotten nominated let alone win. Say he did get nominated, he might very well have won in a much tighter category where first place votes would fly different places left and right. But I think that if we were looking at the Oscars marathon through a sphere where Boseman was still with us, I think we would be feeling his chances held back by the film underperforming at the Oscars in this hypothetical timeline (“Ma Rainey” missing BP and Screenplay).

While Hopkins absolutely respects Boseman, and knows Boseman is winning, he doesn’t attend awards ceremonies not strictly out of respect but because he generally doesn’t care. He didn’t attend those ceremonies when he was nominated for Two Popes as well.

Although I do wish he could attend this Oscars ceremony so all 4 nominees could honour  Boseman there. It could have been sweet.

Profile picture
    Kafka_Gyllenhaal
    Topics:

I for one though Boseman was spectacular, it’s not my favorite of the 5 men but i won’t be mad with his win.

This is exactly how I feel. If you were to ask me, the best performance of the five nominees was Riz Ahmed, for sure. That performance was like nothing I’ve ever seen. But Chadwick Boseman gave the best performance of his too-short career, and his death made his role as Levee all the more powerful and haunting. He deserves to be celebrated and honored by the Academy for both his life and his performance in Ma Rainey.

(Boseman would be a close 2nd after Ahmed for me, and Yeun a close 3rd after that.)

FYC: Minari for Everything

Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Just an observation but it’s peculiar how moderators ban accounts that give constructive opinions or predictions yet those like Margaret Thatcher who use inflammatory language and purposefully troll are allowed to post.

Oh darling, your life must be so boring when you actually wrote down a complaint about users like me that don’t take themselves as serious as if they were Roger Ebert or Godard… It’s better to reduce the testosterone and I hope you start enjoying this forum genuinely!

Greetings from 10 Downing Street

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

While Hopkins absolutely respects Boseman, and knows Boseman is winning, he doesn’t attend awards ceremonies not strictly out of respect but because he generally doesn’t care. He didn’t attend those ceremonies when he was nominated for Two Popes as well. Although I do wish he could attend this Oscars ceremony so all 4 nominees could honour Boseman there. It could have been sweet.

Sir Anthony didn’t attend last year because he knew he wasn’t winning.

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

I don’t mean to be rude, but I’m curious. If Boseman had passed away with Marshall OR Black Phanter being his last performance, will he be also sweeping the season?

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

I don’t mean to be rude, but I’m curious. If Boseman had passed away with Marshall OR Black Phanter being his last performance, will he be also sweeping the season?

With Black Panther not a single chance, his character was interesting and he was the best in civil war but Black Panther the movie was such a disappointment.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

No, Marshall was boring as hell and not an oscar movie and the standout performance in panther was michael b jordan not Chadwick

Profile picture
    Aurelius
    Topics:

Marshall might have snagged a random nomination but he wouldn’t have won. If they wouldn’t give Michael B. Jordan a nomination for Black Panther they wouldn’t give Boseman one even with that narrative.

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

Exactly… it’s the performance. Tired of hearing it’s not. Tbh I preferred 4 performances more than his, in part because I think I prefer movies with more events and covering a longer passage of time: thus more visible character growth… That being said, none of the four performances I preferred were even nominated. But Boseman is the best in his category for me.

Not saying this to suggest it’s afact that he’s the best, but I wanted to make clear that there are people on this board who truly feel this way, and the idea that the only way he could sweep for this is because he passed away is nausesting and embarrassing.

watch I May Destroy You

Viewing 12 posts - 481 through 492 (of 492 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.