Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 500 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Naiad_Lyne
wolfali
SN
  • Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Three Billboards was seen as a pro-racist film. Green Book is Hollywood’s idealized version of non racism ala Driving Miss Daisy. Totally different controversies.

Wait WHAT? I wasn’t that much into the awards circuit back then but did people really say Three Billboards was pro-racist? Just when you thought human stupidity had reached its upper limits …

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Boseman

2. Hopkins

3. Ahmed

4. Oldman

5. Yeun

Profile picture
    Dr. Manhattan
    Topics:

You could just as easily say that Oldman getting in at SAG in spite of this is a sign of how secure he is in the race. I know a lot of people want to believe he can be snubbed, but when was the last time we saw that happen for a lead actor in a movie of this level of awards-bait once they’d already made the precursors? Basically never.

This is bang-on, in my opinion. In addition to this, I would say that we mustn’t forget just how immensely respected Gary Oldman is amongst his peers. He may have only received his first Oscar nomination nine years ago, but within recent years, Oldman has transcended the “character actor” mould, starred in a handful of Oscar-winning or Oscar-nominated pictures, and has won the Academy Award for Best Actor. I seriously doubt the Academy will snub him for fronting a film that will most likely receive the most nominations this year.

Profile picture
    Mr. Tintin
    Topics:

Guys, underestimate Oldman at your peril. I made the mistake of predicting that Viggo Mortenson would get snubbed in favor of John David Washington and Ethan Hawke in 2019. I did the same thing in 2020, predicting Quentin Tarantino will get snubbed in Best Director in favor of Lulu Wang and Taika Waititi. I will not make the mistake of thinking a veteran misses again.

However, Riz Ahmed is looking very vulnerable. If Sound of Metal underperforms at BAFTA, then I’m predicting he misses in favor of Yeun and whoever else gets BAFTA (Mikkelsen or Rahim, most likely).

Movie-lover overall.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

How is Ahmed vulnerable? He’s basically a lock at this point.

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

With his movie most probably winning an Oscar.

Profile picture
    Dr. Manhattan
    Topics:

I think that Ahmed, Boseman, Hopkins, and Oldman are all locks. However, if one of them were to inexplicably get snubbed, I think that it would be Ahmed, simply because Sound of Metal is a weaker contender than Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, The Father, and Mank. He isn’t quite as well-established in the industry as Hopkins and Oldman are and as Boseman was. Still, though, I think he’s in.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

After the Oldman denial we are on Ahmed denial?
    Who’s next? Hopkins?

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Thank God the nominations are announced soon and these stupid takes on who is getting snubbed will finally stop.

Profile picture
    Woody
    Topics:

Imagine if Chadwick got snubbed. How many people do we think would end up boycotting the whole show ?

Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

Imagine if Chadwick got snubbed. How many people do we think would end up boycotting the whole show ?

Why imagine something that is clearly not going to happen?

FYC:

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Woody
    Topics:

Why imagine something that is clearly not going to happen?

For the fun of it? Somebody always gets snubbed so I thought it would be interesting to think how people would react if Chadwick was the person who was somehow snubbed. It’s not that serious so I don’t know why you seem so pressed about it

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Thank God for our imaginations.

And if that did happen, just cancel the Oscars.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

With his movie most probably winning an Oscar.

If your talking about Sound, SOM won’t win that unless it gets a Best Picture nomination. The last film to win Sound without a Best Picture nomination was Bourne Ultimatum 13 years ago (Skyfall doesn’t count because it tied).

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Guys, underestimate Oldman at your peril. I made the mistake of predicting that Viggo Mortenson would get snubbed in favor of John David Washington and Ethan Hawke in 2019. I did the same thing in 2020, predicting Quentin Tarantino will get snubbed in Best Director in favor of Lulu Wang and Taika Waititi. I will not make the mistake of thinking a veteran misses again.

However, Riz Ahmed is looking very vulnerable. If Sound of Metal underperforms at BAFTA, then I’m predicting he misses in favor of Yeun and whoever else gets BAFTA (Mikkelsen or Rahim, most likely).

But did you predict Robert DeNiro to miss for the Irishman? Thats Gary Oldman right now. Except Seyfried is no Pacino.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.