Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
David
Dan Backslide
  • Profile picture
    John Nguyen
    Topics:

So I don’t know if sacha baron cohen is going supporting or lead but holy fuck he better get that Oscar campaign ready he’s fucking amazing

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Yeah, Minari seems more likely to be a Screenplay contender than an Actor contender. I’m still not confident predicting it for anything after how badly A24’s been fucking up their recent Oscar campaigns, but maybe they’ll find their footing again this year.

A24 pushing Uncut Gems over The Lighthouse was maybe the single worst tactical decision of any Oscars campaign last year. They could’ve easily gotten a slam dunk Willem Dafoe nomination, some more technicals (production design), and maybe even peck at a Robert Pattinson nomination.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

No actor from Trial is happening in Lead. No one has a prominent enough role.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

No actor from Trial is happening in Lead. No one has a prominent enough role.

Time for him to rise.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Your opinion is of course valid, but I am soo confused. I haven’t watched yet. There are people who are like Cohen isn’t happening and then there are people who say he absolutely is. 🤷🏻‍♂️

He can happen if he goes supporting, Lead already feels too competitive for someone to get in with a supporting role.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

He can happen if he goes supporting, Lead already feels too competitive for someone to get in with a supporting role.

Haven’t seen the film yet, but I think most of us agree that it seems like something actors will go for, which means that it could be strong enough to push him up.

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Your opinion is of course valid, but I am soo confused. I haven’t watched yet. There are people who are like Cohen isn’t happening and then there are people who say he absolutely is. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I cannot see Baron Cohen or anyone else from Chicago 7 making the Best Actor lineup either. The roles just aren’t substantial enough.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Haven’t seen the film yet, but I think most of us agree that it seems like something actors will go for, which means that it could be strong enough to push him up.

I’ve seen the film and I completely agree on him not being prominent enough to actually fair well in the lead category this year. He will get snubbed by Ahmed or Hanks pretty easily if that’s the case. If he goes supporting, he will definitely have a way better shot and I could see the Academy going with him if they don’t go with Langella. I feel like Rylance is the safest bet for supporting from that film, but Langella definitely deserves to get in imo.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

He will get snubbed by Ahmed

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Frontrunners

Anthony Hopkins, The Father
    Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah

Next in line

Gary Oldman, Mank
    Delroy Lindo, Da 5 Bloods

On the brink

Kingsley Ben-Adir, One Night in Miami
    Tom Hanks, News of the World

Strong possibilities

Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal
    Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Steven Yeun, Minari
    Eddie Redmayne, The Trial of the Chicago 7

Possibilities

Matt Damon, Stillwater
    Tom Holland, Cherry
    Mads Mikkelsen, Another Round
    Dev Patel, The Personal History of David Copperfield
    Jesse Plemons, I’m Thinking of Ending Things

Longer shots

George Clooney, The Midnight Sky
    Joaquin Phoenix, C’mon C’mon
    Ben Affleck, The Way Back
    Benedict Cumberbatch, The Courier
    John David Washington, Tenet
    Shia LaBeouf, Pieces of a Woman

Theoretical possibilities

Kevin Kline, The Good House
    Ashton Sanders, All Day and a Night
    Nicholas Hoult, Those Who Wish Me Dead
    Mark Wahlberg, Good Joe Bell
    Benedict Cumberbatch, Louis Wain
    Rob Morgan, Bull
    John Magaro, First Cow
    Robert Pattinson, The Devil All the Time

Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

Having seen Chicago 7, it actually seemed to me like Redmayne had the most screentime and the most prominent “arc”. The second the movie ended my roommate turned to me and said “so I guess Eddie Redmayne was the lead after all”

The academy likes him and he’s definitely a more “respectable” actor than Cohen, so don’t be surprised if all of a sudden he becomes the awards focus of the movie instead of cohen. Reminds me slightly of when Janelle Monae got the better reviews in Hidden Figures, but then Spencer suddenly started popping up on all the nominations lists because they had to nominate someone from the movie like her more and she’s the more “respected” actor

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

Frontrunners Anthony Hopkins, The Father Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah Next in line Gary Oldman, Mank Delroy Lindo, Da 5 Bloods On the brink Kingsley Ben-Adir, One Night in Miami Tom Hanks, News of the World Strong possibilities Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7 Steven Yeun, Minari Eddie Redmayne, The Trial of the Chicago 7 Possibilities Matt Damon, Stillwater Tom Holland, Cherry Mads Mikkelsen, Another Round Dev Patel, The Personal History of David Copperfield Jesse Plemons, I’m Thinking of Ending Things Longer shots George Clooney, The Midnight Sky Joaquin Phoenix, C’mon C’mon Ben Affleck, The Way Back Benedict Cumberbatch, The Courier John David Washington, Tenet Shia LaBeouf, Pieces of a Woman Theoretical possibilities Kevin Kline, The Good House Ashton Sanders, All Day and a Night Nicholas Hoult, Those Who Wish Me Dead Mark Wahlberg, Good Joe Bell Benedict Cumberbatch, Louis Wain Rob Morgan, Bull John Magaro, First Cow Robert Pattinson, The Devil All the Time

How exactly is Kaluuya stronger than Oldman?

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

How exactly is Kaluuya stronger than Oldman?

Oldman is not getting another Oscar this soon.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Having seen Chicago 7, it actually seemed to me like Redmayne had the most screentime and the most prominent “arc”. The second the movie ended my roommate turned to me and said “so I guess Eddie Redmayne was the lead after all” The academy likes him and he’s definitely a more “respectable” actor than Cohen, so don’t be surprised if all of a sudden he becomes the awards focus of the movie instead of cohen. Reminds me slightly of when Janelle Monae got the better reviews in Hidden Figures, but then Spencer suddenly started popping up on all the nominations lists because they had to nominate someone from the movie like her more and she’s the more “respected” actor

I hesitate to take Redmayne too seriously cause Baron Cohen’s notices are much stronger. Monae and Spencer’s reception was more even.

I’m watching the movie later today so that might give me a better hold on everyone’s chances.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.