Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
David
Dan Backslide
  • Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Having seen Chicago 7, it actually seemed to me like Redmayne had the most screentime and the most prominent “arc”. The second the movie ended my roommate turned to me and said “so I guess Eddie Redmayne was the lead after all”

The academy likes him and he’s definitely a more “respectable” actor than Cohen, so don’t be surprised if all of a sudden he becomes the awards focus of the movie instead of cohen. Reminds me slightly of when Janelle Monae got the better reviews in Hidden Figures, but then Spencer suddenly started popping up on all the nominations lists because they had to nominate someone from the movie like her more and she’s the more “respected” actor

If there is a lead in the movie it’s Redmayne, but even his role and character arc aren’t substantial enough to carry him to a nomination.

I predict the movie’s awards ticket is Langeller. He has a narrative and he acts the living juice out of his character.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

If there is a lead in the movie it’s Redmayne, but even his role and character arc aren’t substantial enough to carry him to a nomination. I predict the movie’s awards ticket is Langeller. He has a narrative and he acts the living juice out of his character.

I find it interesting how Strong and Yahya were originally built up as the film’s big supporting contenders, but now Rylance and Langella seem to be eclipsing them.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

I find it interesting how Strong and Yahya were originally built up as the film’s big supporting contenders, but now Rylance and Langella seem to be eclipsing them.

I think Yahya would get in if he had more screentime. Jeremy is sadly terrible

Profile picture
    Jasmine is French
    Topics:

Contenders
    Anthony Hopkins – The Father
    Delroy Lindo – Da 5 Bloods
    Gary Oldman – Mank
    Riz Ahmed – Sound of Metal

Colin Firth – Supernova
    Steven Yeun – Minari
    Kingsley Ben-Adir, One Night in Miami
    Mads Mikkelsen – Another Round
    John Magaro – First Cow

The October predictions

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

Oldman is not getting another Oscar this soon.

Kaluuya being predicted this high is going to look dumb is my prediction. Oldman could definitely win number 2. He’s the lead in the clear frontrunner.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Kaluuya being predicted this high is going to look dumb is my prediction. Oldman could definitely win number 2. He’s the lead in the clear frontrunner.

Be real with yourself here… Oldman is not above Hopkins and that’s a fact. Kaluuya is ahead of Oldman if we base it off the two trailers we saw, and that’s the only thing we can judge them off of as of right now. Oldman winning his Oscar mainly off of an overdue narrative just two years ago doesn’t totally diminish his chances of winning, but it definitely does play a factor in his winning odds decreasing.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Oldman looks more likely to be nominated, but Kaluuya looks more likely to win.

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

I will happily risk looking dumb baby, I’m not that vain lol.

Yes, Oldman *could* win, but I don’t think it’s terribly likely that the Academy would feel an irresistible urge to hand him a second Oscar right now when he just won yesterday, for a very similar performance in the sense that he plays a real-life icon in a historic biopic.

If they’re hell-bent on rewarding yet another old white man they’ve got Hopkins who has looked like the one to beat for eons now. Kaluuyer has a much more urgent narrative than Oldman as well, and could pick up major steam if his performance is as feisty as it seems.

Mank looks like Oscar gold on the surface but it’s also a textbook example of a movie everyone presumes to be a frontrunner but in the end is outshined by something more timely. Proclaiming a film nobody’s seen “the clear frontrunner” is a bit absurd and may just end up looking dumb :p Not that there’s anything wrong with looking dumb.

Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

Yahya probably gives the best and least “Sorkin-y” performance but he’s just not in the movie enough, it’s a shame. Personally I thought Langella hammed it up a bit too much but that means he’ll probably be the one to get nominated.

Profile picture
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Topics:

I don’t think Langella has a shot. The character is so vile. I love Langella, yet I would not vote for him. I just don’t like the thought of voting for that character.

Actually, I think Sasha Baron Cohen is the MVP. I loved that performance. He truly surprised me. Yahya has so little screen time and even his monologue is very brief.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I don’t think Langella has a shot. The character is so vile. I love Langella, yet I would not vote for him. I just don’t like the thought of voting for that character. Actually, I think Sasha Baron Cohen is the MVP. I loved that performance. He truly surprised me. Yahya has so little screen time and even his monologue is very brief.

Yes but we’ve seen other people get nominated or win for playing characters with no redeemable qualities before. And it sounds like people love to hate Langella’s character.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Oldman is not getting another Oscar this soon.

I imagine it’s gonna another Leo in Hollywood situation where there’s gonna a general “sigh, we should’ve waited”.

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

I don’t think Langella has a shot. The character is so vile. I love Langella, yet I would not vote for him. I just don’t like the thought of voting for that character.

Actually, I think Sasha Baron Cohen is the MVP. I loved that performance. He truly surprised me. Yahya has so little screen time and even his monologue is very brief.

Vile characters are red hot currency in the Supporting Actor category. Rockwell, Simmons, Waltz and Ledger are recent examples but the list goes on for miles. Langeller is coming, sit back and watch.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

When was the last time the Best Actor winner was in the “clear frontrunner”? The Artist. In the 8 years since, no BA winner’s picture has even been the runner-up for BP. There is no relation between Oldman’s chances for winning Best Actor and Mank’s chances of winning Best Picture.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

I don’t think Langella has a shot. The character is so vile. I love Langella, yet I would not vote for him. I just don’t like the thought of voting for that character. Actually, I think Sasha Baron Cohen is the MVP. I loved that performance. He truly surprised me. Yahya has so little screen time and even his monologue is very brief.

You’re not voting for that character, you’re voting for the portrayal. If Langella managed to make you hate his character so much, I’d argue it was a good portrayal. And I’d argue that the character isn’t any more despicable than Hans Landa, Jason Dixon, Arthur Fleck, Lavona Harding, Terence Fletcher and other recent winning roles.

When was the last time the Best Actor winner was in the “clear frontrunner”? The Artist. In the 8 years since, no BA winner’s picture has even been the runner-up for BP. There is no relation between Oldman’s chances for winning Best Actor and Mank’s chances of winning Best Picture.

Considering that Mad Max didn’t win Director and wasn’t even nominated in Screenplay, I’d argue that The Revenant was in fact the runner-up, due to it winning two of the most important categories including Director.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.