Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
David
Dan Backslide
  • Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Rockwell’s Oscar winning role isn’t anywhere near as despicable as Ledger, Waltz, Simmons or Janney’s, who are all completely irredeemable and never treated sympathetically at all by their respective films.

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Rockwell’s Oscar winning role isn’t anywhere near as despicable as Ledger, Waltz, Simmons or Janney’s, who are all completely irredeemable and never treated sympathetically at all by their respective films.

This is true, but doesn’t at all dispute the fact that vile characters often do fantastically well in the supporting categories, especially the supporting actor category.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Still it’s kinda stupid of the thought of a voter not voting for an actor just based off how evil and vile he was in the film. That should make a voter want to vote for them even more if they hated them that much. Voters vote on the portrayal, not the character’s actions.

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Still it’s kinda stupid of the thought of a voter not voting for an actor just based off how evil and vile he was in the film. That should make a voter want to vote for them even more if they hated them that much. Voters vote on the portrayal, not the character’s actions.

Yeah, everyone loves a well-acted villain.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Considering that Mad Max didn’t win Director and wasn’t even nominated in Screenplay, I’d argue that The Revenant was in fact the runner-up, due to it winning two of the most important categories including Director.

But there is no part of the universe where Leo’s win was a product of his movie’s success. He could have been in a The Lighthouse type of movie, with no recognition in any other category, and still have won. It was his year, no matter the movie. If anything, the Revenant was boosted by Leo alone.

And the Revenant and Mank really aren’t similar in any way.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

This is true, but doesn’t at all dispute the fact that vile characters often do fantastically well in the supporting categories, especially the supporting actor category.

I’m not disputing it, I’m just saying Rockwell doesn’t count.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

But there is no part of the universe where Leo’s win was a product of his movie’s success. He could have been in a The Lighthouse type of movie, with no recognition in any other category, and still have won. It was his year, no matter the movie. If anything, the Revenant was boosted by Leo alone. And the Revenant and Mank really aren’t similar in any way.

Then I totally misunderstood your point. Sorry for that!

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

I’ll post more thoughts in my review of the film on its specific thread, but yeah… it kind of felt like Eddie Redmayne was the lead, if you had to pick one and though the film felt like more of an ensemble effort. If they’re going to push one person to Lead, it should be him. Sacha Baron Cohen has a much stronger chance at getting nominated in Supporting, though it will be quite wild to see which actor(s) the campaign focuses on given the breadth of reactions already.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Hopkins
    Lindo
    Oldman
    Ben-Adir
    Hanks

If not Hanks, then Boseman if he goes Lead.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If they can give Christoph Waltz an Oscar for playing a Nazi I’m sure Frank Langella can get nominated if they go for The Trial of the Chicago 7.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Then I totally misunderstood your point. Sorry for that!

No, actually, thanks for pointing out that the Revenant was in fact probably closer to BP than Mad Max that year, I didn’t think of it!

rubbish

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

I will happily risk looking dumb baby, I’m not that vain lol. Yes, Oldman *could* win, but I don’t think it’s terribly likely that the Academy would feel an irresistible urge to hand him a second Oscar right now when he just won yesterday, for a very similar performance in the sense that he plays a real-life icon in a historic biopic. If they’re hell bent to reward yet another old white man they’ve got Hopkins who has looked like the one to beat for eons now. Kaluuyer has a much more urgent narrative than Oldman as well, and could pick up major steam if his performance is as feisty as it seems. Mank looks like Oscar gold on the surface but it’s also a textbook example of a movie everyone presumes to be a frontrunner but in the end is outshined by something more timely. Proclaiming a film nobody’s seen “the clear frontrunner” is a bit absurd and may just end up looking dumb :p Not that there’s anything wrong with looking dumb.

“Yet another old white man” – is there something wrong with being born white and then getting old? Christ there’s some wannabe woke posters on here.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

He can easily miss, but Sacha Baron Cohen definitely has a realistic shot for Trial of the Chicago Seven, and he’d be extremely deserving. Redmayne’s role felt bigger, but not by much and he’s also another borderline case. Redmayne is great, but it did feel like he was being overshadowed throughout, while Sacha always caught the eye. I do think they’re making the right choice putting them lead. Whether they’re actual leads is up for debate, but given the high number of contenders in this film, and since they feel more like leads than everyone else, this will help their chances.

It’ll be interesting to see how Borat 2 is received, as could easily alter Baron Cohen’s chances depending on reception.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

“Yet another old white man” – is there something wrong with being born white and then getting old? Christ there’s some wannabe woke posters on here.

He never said there was anything wrong with that. Just go look at the past winners of lead actor and you will see what he’s talking about…

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Not even in the prediction center, but now that I’ve seen The Trial of The Chicago 7 and am pretty sure SBC is going supporting, I would swap him with Mads Mikklesen, who I think has a shot at Best Actor nom this year. Out of the choices in prediction center, I’d go with Lindo or Yeun for fifth.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.