Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 430 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
David
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    itssajuu
    Topics:

When Kaluuya crushes his competition I’ll be laughing at this.

Yes I totally agree with you Occult Cherry. I too will be laughing once Kaluuya ends up obliterating his competition as well. Hopkins doesn’t stand a chance.

Old acting legend who won one already<<< Young star who has a super bright future and doesn’t have one yet

I trust the Academy to finally make the right decision.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Old acting legend who won one already<<< Young star who has a super bright future and doesn’t have one yet I trust the Academy to finally make the right decision.

This really shouldn’t matter. If Hopkins is the best he should win. If Kaluuya is the best he should win.

And Hopkins has had a legendary career so him already having an Oscar doesn’t matter if he has the performance.

Let’s Go Bucks

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Kaluuya will struggle to get nominated, let alone win. Hopkins is easily sweeping.

Struggle to get nominated? I can understand him struggling for the win, but no way he struggles to secure a nom this year. Especially considering that outside of the 4 who seem to be locks right now, the competition is really bleak compared to previous years. Only guy who’s fighting for a 5th spot and actually has a chance to get in is Ahmed and he will be taking Hanks spot if ‘News of the World’ flops or they just pull a ‘Captain Phillips’ on him again. I don’t see Holland making noise for ‘Cherry’ either.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

This really shouldn’t matter. If Hopkins is the best he should win. If Kaluuya is the best he should win.

In an ideal world yes – but since when have Oscars been won entirely on merit?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Old acting legend who won one already<<< Young star who has a super bright future and doesn’t have one yet

Well I mean by the time the Oscars come around it will have been almost 30 years since Hopkins won his first Oscar.

Anthony Hopkins is considered one of the greatest actors of all time so if he delivers a performance that the rave reviews for The Father have suggested he delivers then he’s easily winning. Especially if The Father ends up getting into Picture and Director alongside its locked slots in Actor, S. Actress and Adapted Screenplay.

The AMPAS are quite sexist yet we saw how when Frances McDormand delivered a performance she smashed her competition and won her second Oscar 21 years after her first despite Sally Hawkins and Saoirse Ronan having quite acclaimed performances and the former having goodwill built up on her previous snubs for nomination worthy work and the latter being on her third nomination at the age of 23. If they can give Frances McDormand (who is arguably as respected as Hopkins) a second in the space of 22 years I’m sure they’re not going to mind giving Hopkins a second in the space of almost 30 years.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Yes I totally agree with you Occult Cherry. I too will be laughing once Kaluuya ends up obliterating his competition as well. Hopkins doesn’t stand a chance. Old acting legend who won one already<<< Young star who has a super bright future and doesn’t have one yet I trust the Academy to finally make the right decision.

I will gladly drink your tears come Oscars night. I cannot wait to see the Kaluuya stars SEETHE with anger.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Struggle to get nominated? I can understand him struggling for the win, but no way he struggles to secure a nom this year.

Well I mean we don’t even know the quality of Judas and the Black Messiah. I would be surprised if it was bad because that trailer looked brilliant but a whole tonne of films are flopping with critics to the extent that nothing is really immune until we see that they are.

I have him an Kirby second though because I think they’ll find it harder to get nominated than win (even if they don’t win their winning chances are better if they do the hard of getting the nomination).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

All these “Hopkins won’t win” predictions remind me of when people were doubting Dern last year. It’s the most obvious sweep to see early on. At least Phoenix vs Driver was an actual contest until the Golden Globes.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

All these “Hopkins won’t win” predictions remind me of when people were doubting Dern last year. It’s the most obvious sweep to see early on. At least Phoenix vs Driver was an actual contest until the Golden Globes.

I never saw Driver to be honest. Don’t get me wrong I thought he was great but Phoenix felt too big to ignore.

Same with Zellweger.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

In an ideal world yes – but since when have Oscars been won entirely on merit?

Yes but a contender shouldn’t be insulted just cause he’s a veteran who’s won before.

Let’s Go Bucks

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

A lot of actors have been denied nominations and wins due to unfair Hollywood politics, racism and homophobia.

I don’t think anyone needs to apologize for not feeling bad if Anthony Hopkins, a straight white man, isn’t given the opportunity to win a second Oscar statue, even if he “deserves it” …which in itself is a loaded statement.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    itssajuu
    Topics:

I will gladly drink your tears of joy come Oscars night. I cannot wait to see the Kaluuya stars SEETHE with happiness .

Why will you want to drink my tears of joy once Kaluuya wins??? Hopefully they give Hopkins a Honorary Oscar or something bc I would hate to see him go home empty handed this year since Kaluuya pretty much has this one in the bag.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

I think it’s a reach to say that Hopkins “deserves” to win for his performance, or even that his performance merits a win, when Kaluuya could give as good of a performance, if not better, and has in his newish career already demonstrated his talent. And even without Kaluuya, barely any of the movies have been seen yet. It’s premature to say that Hopkins is “objectively” the most deserving, or to say that if anyone else does it won’t be merit-based.

rubbish

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

I never saw Driver to be honest. Don’t get me wrong I thought he was great but Phoenix felt too big to ignore. Same with Zellweger.

Driver vs Phoenix was definitely a contest ahead of the Globes because Driver won AACTA and a bunch of other smaller awards, and really seemed to be building up steam. It wasn’t until the Globes that it became clear Phoenix’ narrative was too strong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Driver vs Phoenix was a contest ahead of the Globes because Driver won AACTA and a bunch of other smaller awards. It wasn’t until the Globes that it became clear Phoenix’ narrative was too strong.

Yeah no I agree Driver had some momentum but I personally just thought Phoenix was too strong.

I’ve felt like that for the past four winners in this category now. Hopefully Hopkins can help my streak!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.