Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
David
Dan Backslide
  • Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

END OF WEEK 6 PREDICTIONS Best Actor

1. Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods)
    2. Anthony Hopkins (The Father)
    3. Gary Oldman (Mank)
    4. Sacha Baron Cohen (The Trial of the Chicago 7)
    5. Kingsley Ben-Adir (One Night in Miami)

Ooooh going out on a limb for Lindo, I have him winning too

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Ooooh going out on a limb for Lindo, I have him winning too

There are dozens of us!

rubbish

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Hopkins continues to receive universal raves. He’s unbeatable at this point.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

END OF WEEK 6 PREDICTIONS

Best Actor

1. Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods)
    2. Anthony Hopkins (The Father)
    3. Gary Oldman (Mank)
    4. Sacha Baron Cohen (The Trial of the Chicago 7)
    5. Kingsley Ben-Adir (One Night in Miami)

Can’t wait for the “they took our jobs” thinkpieces / hot takes if this all British lineup does happen.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Hanks flops we’re almost guaranteed an all British actor lineup lol.

– Riz Ahmed
    – Sacha Baron Cohen
    – Kingsley Ben-Adir
    – Tom Holland
    – Anthony Hopkins
    – Daniel Kaluuya
    – Delroy Lindo
    – Dev Patel
    – Eddie Redmayne

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Delroy Lindo was born in Britain but does he still count himself as a British actor? He’s been in America for the vast majority of his life, speaks with a natural American accent and is an American citizen (though admittedly so is Hopkins).

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Marriage Story got more Golden Globe nominations than Joker or any other Drama. Sure they were always likely to opt for Phoenix but MS in no way underperformed in terms of nominations.

It missed Director which people weren’t expecting to happen then. Meanwhile Joker got the nom for Director. There were also some who didn’t expect Joker to get a Drama nom, but it did. So Joker definetely overperformed in Globe noms and Marriage Story definetely underperformed.

Go check the archives, everyone was shocked by Phillips’s nom and surprised Baumbach missed. And everyone took Joker more seriously after the Globe noms.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Sasha Baron Cohen absolutely isn’t lead in Chicago 7. Putting him in lead would be blatant catrgory fraud. You could maybe make the case for Eddie Redmayne in lead, since he does kind of have the central arc of the film, but I think most of the voters who watch Chicago 7 will say he’s Supporting.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Sasha Baron Cohen absolutely isn’t lead in Chicago 7. Putting him in lead would be blatant catrgory fraud. You could maybe make the case for Eddie Redmayne in lead, since he does kind of have the central arc of the film, but I think most of the voters who watch Chicago 7 will say he’s Supporting.

I mean, yeah he’s really not, but I’m fine with the placement since it’s not like leads in supporting where they get an unfair advantage. And his role is important and memorable enough that if someone was going there with Redmayne, it makes sense that it would be him.

Funnily enough, even though he’s less lead than either Redmayne or Baron Cohen, I’d feel more comfortable in predicting a lead Rylance nomination if they put him here, which of course they would never do.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Delroy Lindo was born in Britain but does he still count himself as a British actor?

Well according to an interview with The Guardian he seems conflicted over whether he feels British or not.

Lindo’s own identity is not straightforward. He was actually born in Lewisham, London, to parents of Jamaican origin (his ability to do a perfect accent helped land him the role of West Indian Archie in Malcolm X). He spent the first 12 years of his life in the UK before his mother, a nurse, emigrated to Canada then to San Francisco, where he studied acting. He still has an affection for Britain and returns often. In 2003’s Wondrous Oblivion, he played a cricket-loving Jamaican father in 1960s London.

Everything in my life is as a result of leaving England. I could never in a trillion years have had this career there
    He asks about the gentrification of Peckham, worrying it will go the same way as Brixton. But he does not really feel British any longer. “Everything I have achieved in my life has come as a result of leaving England. I could never in a trillion years have had this career in England. Never.”

But he would love to work in the UK again. “There are many components of the black British experience that have not been explored. Is that an accurate thing for me to say?” He’s choosing his words carefully again. “I’m curious to unpack those stories. I have an intense interest in the Windrush period, because my mom was part of that.”

I’d say he’s British-American. But still he is a Black-British immigrant from the UK (even if he may have immigrated to the States when he was younger) which is really what I think Brayden and others here were trying to say when they mean “cue think pieces on British actors “stealing” American jobs”.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

It missed Director which people weren’t expecting to happen then. Meanwhile Joker got the nom for Director. There were also some who didn’t expect Joker to get a Drama nom, but it did. So Joker definetely overperformed in Globe noms and Marriage Story definetely underperformed. Go check the archives, everyone was shocked by Phillips’s nom and surprised Baumbach missed. And everyone took Joker more seriously after the Globe noms.

Missing one category is hardly an ‘underperformance’. And anyone who thought ‘Joker’ was missing with the HFPA simply hasn’t been paying attention to the HFPA.

Anyway this thread isn’t the place to get into a protracted discussion about last season.

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:
    abelfenty
    Topics:

Well done Netflix, you just lost out on an easy win. Hopkins is still winning.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Boseman is going lead. https://variety.com/2020/film/awards/chadwick-boseman-oscars-lead-ma-raineys-black-bottom-1234812211/

The one time I was gonna be okay with category fraud is also the one time it’s averted.

I was so ready for him to win. No I don’t know if he can. But I’ll put him as runner up.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Congrats Leslie Odom Jr. on your Supporting Oscar.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.