Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 501 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
David
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

The Father is going to be MUCH bigger than The Wife. It’s going to get nominated in S. Actress and Adapted Screenplay and frankly is a possibility in Picture too. Even director doesn’t seem off limits considering how critics have praised the style of the film. I mean The Wife was literally just Glenn Close’s performance which doesn’t seem to be the case here as Hopkins’ performance doesn’t seem to be the ONLY factor of the film.

Yea I agree, ‘The Father’ is going to be more bigger than ‘The Wife’. Still a bit skeptical on if ‘The Father’ makes it in picture even with how well the film was praised. Still an easy Actor, Supp Actress, and Screenplay nom though.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I think you’re replying to the wrong person.

I was agreeing with you but I mistakenly put a “you” in there which made it seem like I was addressing what you said.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Al Pacino only has 1 Oscar and he been robbed like 3/4 times. I don’t see why Hopkins should win a 2nd one because he supposedly has the best performance when we all agree that the best performance rarely wins. And btw I prefer Hopkins to Kaluuya, the latter should win though…

Just because Pacino should’ve gotten more than one Oscar doesn’t mean that Hopkins shouldn’t get a second. Especially since they’re not even competing against each other this year.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Al Pacino only has 1 Oscar and he been robbed like 3/4 times. I don’t see why Hopkins should win a 2nd one because he supposedly has the best performance when we all agree that the best performance rarely wins. And btw I prefer Hopkins to Kaluuya, the latter should win though…

Pacino is winning for King Lear, don’t worry.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Mank may have been the Best Picture front runner at some point, but not anymore, Nomadland is.

Even if it matches Nomadland’s critical reception (probably won’t be able to), it will still have less going for it. Nomadland is the sole priority of a respected awards movie studio and made history during its festival run. Mank is a Netflix production, a studio that has never successfully campaigned for BP, and has like 4 other movies to campaign for this year. In the last decade, all Best Picture winners have played at one the big film festivals, and in the last 3 consecutive winners received the Palm d’Or, TIFF People’s Choice, or the Golden Lion.

Obviously, festival season is significantly diminished this year, but it still cannot be disregarded entirely as most BP contenders except for Netflix’s will have played at one by April.

rubbish

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Yea I agree, ‘The Father’ is going to be more bigger than ‘The Wife’. Still a bit skeptical on if ‘The Father’ makes it in picture even with how well the film was praised. Still an easy Actor, Supp Actress, and Screenplay nom though.

Well, you said it there yourself. It will get those three categories, and it is exactly that which will propel it to a Picture nomination. I could see Zeller getting in for Director too but that remains to be seen. It’s definitely in Picture though, I’m certain of that.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Well, you said it there yourself. It will get those three categories, and it is exactly that which will propel it to a Picture nomination. I could see Zeller getting in for Director too but that remains to be seen. It’s definitely in Picture though, I’m certain of that.

Yea after giving a little more thought, I do see it getting a picture nom. Idk about director though.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Honestly I was hoping that Anthony wins but at least he doesn’t sweep because Kaluuya might also be very deserving but considering the breakdowns of people at the possibility of Hopkins sweeping I just want to see him do that so bad now.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

I don’t see ‘The Father’ as a top 5 contender for bp though. I have it at 7 or 8 for now depending on how the rest of the comp fares this year it could move up or down.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So in terms of predictions for the win/top place ranking in the odds here’s how the contenders fare per group :

Experts

9 – Lindo
    5 – Hopkins
    1 – Oldman

Editors

3 – Hopins
    2 – Boseman
    1 – Lindo, Oldman

Top 24

11 – Hopkins
    5 – Lindo
    3 – Kaluuya, Oldman
    1 – Phoenix, Fassbender

All Star

13 – Hopkins
    4 – Lindo
    3 – Kaluuya, Oldman
    1 – Fassbender

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

Wasn’t expecting Lindo to be that popular with experts.

FYC Oscars: Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mark Rylance (Trail of the Chicago 7), Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom), Soul (Best Picture, Best Animated Feature Film, and Best Original Screenplay)

FYC Grammys: Circles (Album of the Year), Good News (Record and Song of the Year), Future Nostalgia (Album of the Year), Don't Start Now (Record and Song of the Year), Everything I Wanted (Record and Song of the Year)

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Just read the synopsis for Cherry and holy fuck this sounds like one the fake/parodied Best Actor nominees for that Glenn Close presents from In & Out.

Cherry follows Holland’s PTSD-ridden Army medic who turns to robbing banks in order to cope with his opioid addiction. The film is based on Nico Walker’s autobiographical book of the same name.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Mank may have been the Best Picture front runner at some point, but not anymore, Nomadland is. Even if it matches Nomadland’s critical reception (probably won’t be able to), it will still have less going for it. Nomadland is the sole priority of a respected awards movie studio and made history during its festival run. Mank is a Netflix production, a studio that has never successfully campaigned for BP, and has like 4 other movies to campaign for this year. In the last decade, all Best Picture winners have played at one the big film festivals, and in the last 3 consecutive winners received the Palm d’Or, TIFF People’s Choice, or the Golden Lion. Obviously, festival season is significantly diminished this year, but it still cannot be disregarded entirely as most BP contenders except for Netflix’s will have played at one by April.

Mank will become the frontrunner once it storms through the precursors. After what 1917, The Revenant, and La La Land did the last few years, I guarentee you the Globes, PGA’s, and BAFTA’s will go for Mank. They love the flashy films. And Critic’s Choice will just vote for one of the Globe winners, but probably Mank since Comedy seems so weak.

Anyway, why are we talking about this on the Best Actor thread instead of the Picture/Director one?

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Mank may have been the Best Picture front runner at some point, but not anymore, Nomadland is. Even if it matches Nomadland’s critical reception (probably won’t be able to), it will still have less going for it. Nomadland is the sole priority of a respected awards movie studio and made history during its festival run. Mank is a Netflix production, a studio that has never successfully campaigned for BP, and has like 4 other movies to campaign for this year. In the last decade, all Best Picture winners have played at one the big film festivals, and in the last 3 consecutive winners received the Palm d’Or, TIFF People’s Choice, or the Golden Lion. Obviously, festival season is significantly diminished this year, but it still cannot be disregarded entirely as most BP contenders except for Netflix’s will have played at one by April.

Mank will become the frontrunner once it storms through the precursors. After what 1917, The Revenant, and La La Land did the last few years, I guarentee you the Globes, PGA’s, and BAFTA’s will go for Mank. They love the flashy films. And Critic’s Choice will just vote for one of the Globe winners, but probably Mank since Comedy seems so weak.

Anyway, why are we talking about this on the Best Actor thread instead of the Picture/Director one?

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Oldman literally just won like two years ago, so yea, I don’t think the academy is going to give him a second one so soon.

As another poster has said, if they can give Mahershala Ali 2 Oscars in three years (and Christoph Waltz to a lesser degree) then they can certainly give Oldman a second one. The problem is it will be more difficult to get 2 lead Oscars in three years. Hopkins is in the top echelon of actors that deserve a second win, hopefully he gets it.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.