Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 501 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
David
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

As another poster has said, if they can give Mahershala Ali 2 Oscars in three years (and Christoph Waltz to a lesser degree) then they can certainly give Oldman a second one. The problem is it will be more difficult to get 2 lead Oscars in three years. Hopkins is in the top echelon of actors that deserve a second win, hopefully he gets it.

Yea ofc I think Oldman has a chance at winning another one before he retires, but it’s just not gonna be this year though. Like a couple of people mention, he will be this year’s Dicaprio, he gets in everywhere but is not a contender to win it. This race will factor down to Hopkins vs Kaluuya.

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

Kaluuya is being overestimated. The director could blow it. Oldman has Fincher, who does he have?

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Kaluuya is being overestimated. The director could blow it. Oldman has Fincher, who does he have?

How is Kaluuya being overestimated, did you watch the trailer? And he has Shaka King who is a first time director for a big feature such as this, which does set in some doubts, but look at Jenkins, Peele, Gerwig, Chazelle and what they did. Don’t discredit Shaka…

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

As another poster has said, if they can give Mahershala Ali 2 Oscars in three years (and Christoph Waltz to a lesser degree) then they can certainly give Oldman a second one. The problem is it will be more difficult to get 2 lead Oscars in three years. Hopkins is in the top echelon of actors that deserve a second win, hopefully he gets it.

You said it yourself, two Lead Oscars ≠ two Supporting Oscars.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

How is Kaluuya being overestimated, did you watch the trailer? And he has Shaka King who is a first time director for a big feature such as this, which does set in some doubts, but look at Jenkins, Peele, Gerwig, Chazelle and what they did. Don’t discredit Shaka…

‘Judas’ keeps getting mislabeled as King’s second film for some reason. His first is Newlyweeds (2013).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Mank is like so winning BP

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

I’m not going to continue the Mank v Nomadland  debate here, but I will say that people love talking about how the Academy loves movies about movies, but of the dozen or so movies about movies nominated this century, only The Artist has won. Mank does not have anything going for it that puts it over Nomadland in terms of advantages.

Oldman/Hanks are probably not going to win. Veteran actors typically only have passion behind them if their roles are transformative or if they’re overdue. This is also why I think people may be overestimating how much of a “lock” Hopkins is. He is in the lead at the moment though.

rubbish

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I actually think Mank might be the Roma of this year (winning director, winning the BAFTA, up for lots of crafts, only up for Lead and one supporting award).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

This argument is so tired. People are allowed to be skeptical of the movie’s quality considering the director’s only other film received mixed reviews. How else should we base our predictions, if not from the director’s own track record? Not everyone is Jenkins or Gerwig or Peele or Chazelle. If that were the case, then you’re saying Judas will be 90+ on MC, win or be top 3 for BP, or be a cultural phenomenon that makes an insane amount of money at the BO. I don’t get why you don’t think people are valid in questioning that lol.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Riz better get nominated for one of these…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFOrGkAvjAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkg-bHOMD9I

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Riz better get nominated for one of these… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFOrGkAvjAE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkg-bHOMD9I

Is Sound of Metal going to be Amazon’s only movie in play? I really really hope Riz can make it in!

Mogul Mowgli looks a little too indie, but the man’s picking some great projects.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Is Sound of Metal going to be Amazon’s only movie in play? I really really hope Riz can make it in! Mogul Mowgli looks a little too indie, but the man’s picking some great projects.

Amazon has One Night in Miami too, as well as I’m Your Woman and Borat 2 lol.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Is Sound of Metal going to be Amazon’s only movie in play? I really really hope Riz can make it in!

Well if Kingsley Ben-Adir goes Lead then no. But if he goes supporting then Ahmed will be their only push in Lead.

They actually (unlike Netflix) seem to be very strategic with their pushes. It’s clever of them not to release Louis Wain this year otherwise they’d be splitting hairs in their campaigning when it comes to the win (which is what I expect Netflix will end up doing in the Lead Actor and Lead Actress categories like they did at the Emmys this year in every category they had multiple nominees in above the line apart from S. Actress in a Drama Series)

Lead Actor – Ahmed (possibly Ben-Adir too)
    Lead Actress – Brosnahan
    Supporting Actor – The entire cast of One Night in Miami
    Supporting Actress – Cooke

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Borat 2

I highly doubt they are going to push Baron-Cohen in Borat 2 over Ahmed in what’s been described by critics as a performance better than his Emmy winning one.

I do think we’re underestimating Brosnahan for I’m Your Woman though. There is still a review embargo on the film itself but it shouldn’t be surprising it has a December release date and some critics have said that Brosnahan’s performance is almost the complete opposite of her performance in Maisel and that it’s arguably her best performance to date.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

I highly doubt they are going to push Baron-Cohen in Borat 2 over Ahmed in what’s been described by critics as a performance better than his Emmy winning one. I do think we’re underestimating Brosnahan for I’m Your Woman though. There is still a review embargo on the film itself but it shouldn’t be surprising it has a December release date and some critics have said that Brosnahan’s performance is almost the complete opposite of her performance in Maisel and that it’s arguably her best performance to date.

I’m not saying they will lol. But SBC could easily win the Comedy Globe if Borat 2 is as well received as the first.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.