Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 457 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
brenolimsta_1
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Can I be hallucinating? Yes! But it is possible that Frances is snubbed from Oscar the way Amy was in Arrival right? It is a vague thought, there is the question of the genre of the film but that did not prevent it from arrival get in BP.

I made that exact point the other day and people claimed I was delusional.

The thing with Frances is that Nomadland doesn’t seem like the type of film that needs an acting nomination to win Best Picture (see Slumdog Millionaire, Parasite). Of course neither of those starred two time Academy Award winner Frances McDormand but when you think about it Frances has two things going against her. One is that her performance is said to be subtle (if you’ve seen Nomadland and I’m wrong please feel free to correct me) and that could turn voters off. The other is that she could very well miss out at both BAFTA (who have a juried system which will favour lesser known actresses and hasn’t really ever favoured McDormand) and SAG (whose populist membership could go for a more left field choice like Moss for example).

Not saying it will happen but it is very well possible. There are a lot of mainstream female led films this year and nowadays a potential BP win doesn’t even guarantee you a nomination.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

At this rate people will start claiming Meryl will be locked to win the Golden Globe even if The Prom had <i>Hillbilly Elegy </i>reviews…

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

As much as I don’t want to see it happen, Dame Meryl Streep is looking like a legit contender. Let’s not pretend like they can’t nominate her if they want to. She can possibly win the Globe too. It’s Meryl Streep we’re talking about here and not Helen Mirren

FYC:

Riz Ahmed- Best Actor for Sound Of Metal
    Daniel Kaluuya - Best Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Amanda Seyfried - Best Supporting Actress for Mank

Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

At this rate people will start claiming Meryl will be locked to win the Golden Globe even if The Prom had <i>Hillbilly Elegy </i>reviews…

it’s REALLY far from HE reviews hahahaha

it has a 80% score on RT and it’s not nearly as panned as HE in metacritic…

and Streep IS getting a lot of good reviews…except for one (a very known hater of hers by the way). so let’s not pretend she doesn’t have chance, when she got in for Into The Woods for example…

Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

I made that exact point the other day and people claimed I was delusional. The thing with Frances is that Nomadland doesn’t seem like the type of film that needs an acting nomination to win Best Picture (see Slumdog Millionaire, Parasite). Of course neither of those starred two time Academy Award winner Frances McDormand but when you think about it Frances has two things going against her. One is that her performance is said to be subtle (if you’ve seen Nomadland and I’m wrong please feel free to correct me) and that could turn voters off. The other is that she could very well miss out at both BAFTA (who have a juried system which will favour lesser known actresses and hasn’t really ever favoured McDormand) and SAG (whose populist membership could go for a more left field choice like Moss for example). Not saying it will happen but it is very well possible. There are a lot of mainstream female led films this year and nowadays a potential BP win doesn’t even guarantee you a nomination.

I can see that happening…

a snub for McDormand is not delusional at all

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

frances mcdormand is not getting snubbed lol. the academy will loveee nomadland and she is in literally every scene of the film.

amy adams was snubbed for the same reason christian bale was last year: their film didn’t scream acting contender and was a contender in multiple tech categories so there were other places to reward it.

nomadland will most likely only get cinematography, picture, director, screenplay and actress.

also, frances’s performance is quiet but not subtle.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

As much as I don’t want to see it happen, Dame Meryl Streep is looking like a legit contender. Let’s not pretend like they can’t nominate her if they want to. She can possibly win the Globe too. It’s Meryl Streep we’re talking about here and not Helen Mirren

<span style=”font-size: 16px;”>If you’re talking about </span><em style=”font-size: 16px;”>The Prom <span style=”font-size: 16px;”>then Meryl is not coming near that Globe. I know I’ll sound like a broken record but you only have to look at Meryl’s record with the Globes and this category’s record. They don’t award performances in Comedy Actress unless they have prestige or are Oscar nomination/win competitive which Meryl’s isn’t. </span>

Now if you look at Meryl’s record it’s a similar thing. She hasn’t won a Globe unless she’s been Oscar or Emmy win competitive. Now I’m not talking about only The Iron Lady and Angels in America but I’m talking about years she had the performance that was the likeliest to land (see The Devil Wears Prada) at the Oscars with a win or when she had a give her another Oscar narrative (Julie and Julia). We just saw how people rushed to predict her to win the Globe for Big Little Lies but she didn’t because she was a big non-factor at the Emmys.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

it’s REALLY far from HE reviews hahahaha it has a 80% score on RT and it’s not nearly as panned as HE in metacritic… and Streep IS getting a lot of good reviews…except for one (a very known hater of hers by the way). so let’s not pretend she doesn’t have chance, when she got in for Into The Woods for example…

Lol I wasn’t saying it had HE reviews lol.

I was saying that I just don’t see Meryl winning the Globe for this. She has a chance for the nomination for sure (it would be ridiculous to count out Meryl Streep) but it’s not as if she’s going to win the Globe for this (even if the HFPA take to it like they did to Into the Woods).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

amy adams was snubbed for the same reason christian bale was last year: their film didn’t scream acting contender and was a contender in multiple tech categories so there were other places to reward it.

I don’t think that’s why either got snubbed…

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

I don’t think that’s why either got snubbed…

it literally is. the acting branch didn’t embrace either film, while the tech branches did.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Uh what’s this? That’s most definitely not the reason why either was snubbed? “X didn’t get nominated because voters didn’t nominate them” is not the reason for the snub lmao.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

McDormand ia not getting snubbed. Stop this bullshit.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

it literally is. the acting branch didn’t embrace either film, while the tech branches did.

Bale didn’t get in because a nomination would have been a joke. It’s not the type of performance Academy members go for (even BAFTA snubbed him).

Adams didn’t get snubbed for the same reason. She got snubbed because her performance lost steam during the season.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

McDormand ia not getting snubbed. Stop this bullshit.

Profile picture
    Miss
    Topics:

Bale didn’t get in because a nomination would have been a joke. It’s not the type of performance Academy members go for (even BAFTA snubbed him).

Adams didn’t get snubbed for the same reason. She got snubbed because her performance lost steam during the season.

Some people on this forum act like the acting branch (or any branch at that) has a group chat where they plot the demise of certain contenders. Voters vote for what they like.. Bale was forgettable and Adams was understated. There was nothing calculative about it

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 457 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.