Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 457 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
brenolimsta_1
  • Profile picture
    Dorsey
    Topics:

I’m talking about Arrival snub.

lmaooooooo ok I assumed Hillbilly my bad

FYC: Riz Ahmed + Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    Sidney Flanigan (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
    Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

The Academy still plans on having an in-person telecast in April https://variety.com/2020/film/news/oscars-in-person-show-will-happen-2021-1234843255/

Really? I doubt this is going to last.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Random But Hulu should have bought Nomadsland I think it would be a good size hit on Hulu for an indie film

I don’t think so. Chloe Zhao and the producers, especially Frances McDormand, imo are strong proponents of film released in cinema. That’s why they are courageous enough to say that Nomadland will only be shown in cinema.

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Really? I doubt this is going to last.

Well, they wouldn’t be saying it if they weren’t serious about it. They seem to think it’ll be safe enough by April. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Carey Mulligan takes the first (admittedly small) win of the season @ Sunset Film Circle. She’ll be snatching a lot of these critics awards

Such a weird award. But okay.

At least queen Mulligan got some love and recognition.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Thanks for clarifying! but amy also had “oscar scene” no?

But Frances’ Oscar scene is actually good acting. I am not trying to be shady to Amy here, but Frances is incredible in the film.

Edit: I just saw you were referring to Amy in Arrival, and not Hillbilly. In that case, I guess McDormand is a lot safer than Amy for two reasons: 1) Nomadland is a frontrunner to win Best Picture which Arrival was not. 2) McDormand is a two time Oscar winner which Amy is not.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

This spurious comparison between McDormand in Nomadland and Adams in Arrival seems to me like one of those non-factors that get brought up and tossed around, usually by people bored with the lack of development during the early part of the awards season. And we’re going to see a lot more of it during this protracted awards calendar I fear.

What many people don’t realise is that Adams was not considered a lock for Arrival in the early part of that season. Stone and Portman were seen as the frontrunners, Huppert the likely foreign-language nominee and critics favourite, and Ruth Negga was very much in the thick of things at this time as well; she was only considered a surprise nominee in the end because her odds seemed to dip after SAG and BAFTA snubs, as well as general support for Loving being weaker than expected. Streep was oddly underestimated by many up until the SAG noms, but Annette Bening was solidly in the conversation before it later became clearer that she wasn’t a real factor. Amidst all this, Adams was always touch-and-go; I distinctly remember her supposed ‘lock’ status only taking hold after the SAG nominations, as she’d previously missed there both for The Master and American Hustle and some people thought she was less favoured by that group. In short, we were misled by her success with the precursors. And of course, anti-genre bias in the actors branch of the Academy played a role.

McDormand in Nomadland is in a completely different situation. She is already established as being in the top three for a nomination, in the most acclaimed movie of the year, and will likely stay in that position throughout the season. She won’t miss out due to voters assuming she’s safe because that’s not a thing that happens.

Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

Just saw Meryl performing “It’s not about me”, allegedly the best musical number in the movie and HFPA is SO eating this up lol

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

Frances is not going to miss for this movie, in a year this weak. She probably won’t win, but I’d argue she’s pretty much a lock for a nom.

I think it’s Davis/Mulligan/McDormand/Kirby with the last spot completely open for grabs.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/jonathantabs/status/1334087817882865665?s=19

meryl serving SEVERE camp we are kinda here for it

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK: Viola Davis as Ma Rainey in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. Viola completely embodies the aptly named “Mother of the Blues” in this scene

https://twitter.com/strongblacklead/status/1334150619066638337

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Typical Viola Davis overacting performance with just a different make up and teeth. This woman really has no range.

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

this clip of viola sjaksjaks, just terrible

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

The Queen is serving and coming for her stuff. We love to see it!

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Typical Viola Davis overacting performance with just a different make up and teeth. This woman really has no range.

Right 💀I thought she looked good in the trailer but this monologue clip was terrible kjfksdsk.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 457 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.