Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 457 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
brenolimsta_1
  • Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

Well I mean I accidentally liked something I strenuously disagree with so I kind of have to in order to keep my own personal integrity lol. Anyway I’m so excited for Ma Rainey. Can it like come out already? With that and Pieces of a Woman and Mank it really looks like Netflix is saving their best for last.

It’s so weird someone knows all the comments you liked though.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Well, we can all see who likes a comment, and I just happen to have a good memory😂 Plus, I remember when my likes were being analyzed during Emmy season…

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s so weird someone knows all the comments you liked though.

To be fair on Luca he is a moderator. It’s not weird or creepy for him to know likes.

Although I do find it creepy when people start looking at people’s likes.  I feel generally a like button and internet anonymity mixing together often results in a messy thread lol.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Y’all, it’s not that hard to check who liked a comment😂 And remembering a name or two happens automatically. What’s creepy is when people know someone else’s predictions by heart… Or personal information — we’ve had that here as well.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Or personal information —

Now that outcreeps everything else by a mile. How on earth has that happened on a site with internet anonymity?

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The trailer for Netflix’s The Dig starring Carey Mulligan and Ralph Fiennes has been released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZQz0rkNajo

So Mulligan has three films eligible for this Oscar season (A Christmas CarolThe Dig and Promising Young Woman). Two of which she’ll be in lead for and one of which in supporting. That can only help her with buzz and a potential nomination/win for Promising Young Woman.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Perfect. The fact that Viola Davis doesn’t have a Best Actress Oscar is just so wrong. I haven’t seen “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” yet, but you know I’ll be cheering her on to Oscar gold. Let me clarify – Best Actress Gold. A best actress Oscar should already be sitting on her award mantel. Her supporting Oscar for “Fences” should have been her bookend. You know I’m right..

I mean she was even good in Suicide Squad and that film was trash lol.

I agree with you that she should already have a Best Actress Oscar. That lineup in 2012 was messy but she should have easily won over Meryl that year. One of the biggest award robberies ever.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So Why exactly does it feel wrong that she hasn’t won a Best Actress Oscar yet?

Because she’s one of the most talented actors not only of her generation but in Hollywood as a whole.

I love Renee Zellweger in everything apart from Cold Mountain but the fact that she has two Oscars and Viola only has one is cruel.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Honestly I respect Viola Davis but that kind of comment will end up making me root for someone else. Just say I want her to win a Best Actress Oscar, don’t imply that she’s underrewarded cause it’s objectively wrong. Her breakthrough was 10 years ago and she only has one recognizable lead role for a TV show. She’s not a leading lady in films (she barely has 3 lead roles in major films) moreover her sole Best Actress nomination was another category fraud that everyone seems to be closing their eyes on. The woman has won every award an actor can dream of in less than 10 year including an Academy award. So Why exactly does it feel wrong that she hasn’t won a Best Actress Oscar yet?

You’re indirectly articulating exactly what the problem is: On the big screen, it’s still rare to see women of color in the driver’s seat — especially in movies that networks/studios/streamers actually intend to promote and in which these women aren’t reduced to playing maids or slaves. That’s why someone like Viola hasn’t been able to lead all too many movies yet — but that doesn’t mean her body of work doesn’t warrant people to root for to scoop up a lead actress Oscar. At the Emmys, she become the first (!) actress of color to win the drama actress category, which is absolutely insane. Now, with just four nominations, she’ll become the most nominated black actress in Oscar history (!); and if she wins, she’ll become only the second black winner in the lead category and the very first to even win more than one acting Oscar! This is absolutely insane!

So, while I get your point, it’s disregarding the racial bias that is in place in both the industry as a whole and AMPAS. And the same goes for other uber-talented black actresses: Octavia Spencer, Angela Bassett, Alfre Woodard and the list goes on.

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

Viola Davis should have been nominated for Widows as well. I love Lady Gaga dearly and she’s one of my favourite artists but her acting in A Star Is Born was not that great. I love the movie, and I do believe Gaga will earn herself more nomination but she really only got through ASIB on name power and playing herself. Viola might not have won that year but she should have at least been competitive.

As Wolfali said she was able to even elevate her Suicide Squad role, and I don’t know how many of you watched her TV movie Lila and Eve starring her and Jennifer Lopez, but even her performance in that was brilliant. The truth is that she never ever phones it in and she gets called overhyped for it, meanwhile Streep (Who I do also love) so much as breathes and she gets nominated immediately. It’s frustrating.

FYC:

BEST ACTRESS — CAREY MULLIGAN
    BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

IMDB obviously doesn’t mean everything (otherwise Rebecca would be winning BP skskkskksk) but I just thought I’d post the IMDB votes of the Best Actress films that have been seen by audiences so far:

1) The Invisible Man – 152,951 votes
    2) Palm Springs – 58,840 votes
    3) I’m Thinking of Ending Things – 50,596 votes
    4) Emma. – 24,761 votes
    5) On the Rocks – 14,930 votes

6) The Assistant – 10,645 votes
    7) Hillbilly Elegy – 9,670 votes
    8) Happiest Season – 8,981 votes
    9) Never Rarely Sometimes Always – 8,848 votes
    10) Shirley – 6,230 votes

11) Kajillionaire – 4,845 votes
    12) Let Him Go – 4,165 votes
    13) The Life Ahead – 4,139 votes
    14) The Nest – 2,701 votes
    15) Ammonite – 837 votes*

*If I’m not mistaken this one hasn’t been released on SVOD yet? Although it has been released in cinemas hence the inclusion.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Viola Davis should have been nominated for Widows as well. I love Lady Gaga dearly and she’s one of my favourite artists but her acting in A Star Is Born was not that great. I love the movie, and I do believe Gaga will earn herself more nomination but she really only got through ASIB on name power and playing herself. Viola might not have won that year but she should have at least been competitive.

Exactly this. I thought Gaga was ok in A Star is Born but Davis (and Debicki) were excellent in Widows and should have been nominated over Gaga and Amy Adams (who I love dearly).

The truth is that she never ever phones it in and she gets called overhyped for it, meanwhile Streep (Who I do also love) so much as breathes and she gets nominated immediately. It’s frustrating.

Also this. Streep looks like she may be excellent in Let Them All Talk so I won’t mind if she gets nominated for that but had it been Christine Baranski playing her character in The Prom we wouldn’t even be talking about her getting a nomination.

The idea of her getting nominated for The Prom over Mulligan, Loren, Winslet, Moss, Garner and even Jones who all have incredible performances (I’ve only seen Mulligan, Moss, Garner and Jones) or supposedly have them (I’ve heard raves for both Loren and Winslet) is frustrating.

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

: 1) The Invisible Man – 152,951 votes

In a perfect world The Invisible Man would actually be in awards conversation but unfortunately in the real world even if she somehow managed to climb the ladder from the academy sub basement she’d STILL ultimately find herself getting nyongo’d. Academy Justice for Moss!

FYC:

BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I have Lizzie getting in at SAG! Wolfali has definitely been onto sth. with that prediction!

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

Also this. Streep looks like she may be excellent in Let Them All Talk so I won’t mind if she gets nominated for that but had it been Christine Baranski playing her character in The Prom we wouldn’t even be talking about her getting a nomination. 

I currently have her predicted for The Prom and I completely agree with you. I’ve been considering taking her out but I don’t feel comfortable doing that until I’ve seen both The Prom and Let Them All Talk. If her performance is better in LTAT and begins to gain traction then it pretty much shuts The Prom out of the conversation for good because whilst people don’t quite have their eyes focussed on February yet, I think Everybody’s Talking About Jamie is going to steal The Prom’s niche and become more focused on by voters; especially if they know that they’ll be able to reward Streep elsewhere.

EDIT: I wanna clarify that I don’t think Jamie is getting in anywhere either way, but that it could still hurt The Prom. Unless that movie is near perfect I think the golden globes is the absolute height that film can go.

FYC:

BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 457 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.