Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 457 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
brenolimsta_1
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

In a perfect world The Invisible Man would actually be in awards conversation but unfortunately in the real world even if she somehow managed to climb the ladder from the academy sub basement she’d STILL ultimately find herself getting nyongo’d. Academy Justice for Moss!

Yep I agree. This is one of the cases where I agree the Academy has bias. I can see Moss hitting SAG, CC and potentially the Globes (but that’s being optimistic considering how the Globes also hate horror) but there is no way she gets in at BAFTA and I don’t see her at Oscar. She’s getting my performer of the year vote at the Goldderby awards.

What does shock me with the user reviews is how small The Life Ahead has been. Especially with film Twitter and online IMDB users for example. It’s especially shocking considering how films that have been harder for people to see because either they’re darker or more inaccessible or aren’t Netflix films like Never Rarely Sometimes Always and The Assistant have registered more with IMDB users and audiences. Especially considering the shitty distributor for the latter.

Loren doesn’t need a big audience to get in but it is a worrying sign for her because I wonder how many know her film even exists.

I have Lizzie getting in at SAG! Wolfali has definitely been onto sth. with that prediction!

Yep. Her film is very popular and every year in each category SAG nominates someone who is either snubbed by everyone else or gets snubbed by the Academy in the end. Often at the expense of a likely/locked Oscar nominee (see the <i>Little Women </i>shut out last year).

Also worth baring in mind that SAG LOVES Moss. They may not have given her a win and their record with her for Mad Men is a bit sketchy but if we’re to include ensemble nominations then she has a total of 15 SAG nominations over 12 years. 6 of those are individual nominations. They also just nominated her for The Handmaid’s Tale this year over the incumbent winner Sandra Oh despite Moss being snubbed at the Emmys in favour of Oh.

It may be hope-dicting because she was excellent in the film but I do have a feeling she’s getting a nomination somewhere and SAG seems to be the place.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

EDIT: I wanna clarify that I don’t think Jamie is getting in anywhere either way, but that it could still hurt The Prom. Unless that movie is near perfect I think the golden globes is the absolute height that film can go.

I think Gregsprinkles mentioned this but what could really hurt The Prom is the controversy around Corden’s portrayal if <i>Everybody’s Talking About Jamie </i>is released. Like The PromJamie is a hit musical (although this one on the West End) but it also follows a gay character and unlike The Prom has an openly gay actor playing the lead. I can see multiple op-eds comparing the two popping up and it being a discussion point if Jamie arrives on time.

Also considering how Boseman has gone Lead we should watch out for Richard E. Grant potentially sneaking into the emptier supporting actor lineup somewhere now. I think he’s in at BAFTA and maybe the Globes.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

Unfortunately for Loren I think her film was just too darn subtle, I watched and really enjoyed The Life Ahead and as commanding as her presence is there just aren’t any oscar clips for her. Ibrahim Gueye did some of the best child acting work I’ve ever seen though and he really should be a best supporting actor nominee but that’ll never happen, it looks like people would rather every mediocre performance from Chicago 7 to be nominated instead lmao

FYC:

BEST ACTRESS — CAREY MULLIGAN
    BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

Viola Davis should have been nominated for Widows as well. I love Lady Gaga dearly and she’s one of my favourite artists but her acting in A Star Is Born was not that great. I love the movie, and I do believe Gaga will earn herself more nomination but she really only got through ASIB on name power and playing herself. Viola might not have won that year but she should have at least been competitive. As Wolfali said she was able to even elevate her Suicide Squad role, and I don’t know how many of you watched her TV movie Lila and Eve starring her and Jennifer Lopez, but even her performance in that was brilliant. The truth is that she never ever phones it in and she gets called overhyped for it, meanwhile Streep (Who I do also love) so much as breathes and she gets nominated immediately. It’s frustrating.

Collette, Muligan, Theron, Pike, Gyllenhaal and Hahn deserved to be nominated over Davis in Widows.

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

Collette, Muligan, Theron, Pike, Gyllenhaal and Hahn deserved to be nominated over Davis in Widows.

Theron and Collette should have been nominated yes, but instead of Melissa McCarthy and frankly? Glenn Close. The 91st award nominations were a complete mess.

FYC:

BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Theron and Collette should have been nominated yes, but instead of Melissa McCarthy and frankly? Glenn Close. The 91st award nominations were a complete mess.

I’m assuming Theron for Tully? If so then yes she should have been nominated. She was EXCELLENT in that film and it’s one of Theron’s best performances imo.

Diablo Cody’s script should have been nominated as well.

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

I’m assuming Theron for Tully? If so then yes she should have been nominated. She was EXCELLENT in that film and it’s one of Theron’s best performances imo. Diablo Cody’s script should have been nominated as well.

Definitely for Tully. I actually consider it one of my top 5 films of all time! I went to the cinema a few times for it, really connected with it on a very deep personal level which is incredible because superficially I have almost nothing in common with that character. Just masterclass acting. I could gush for hours about that snub.

FYC:

BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Not y’all hating on Lady Gaga for losing an Oscar she so deserved to win.

Widows was a flop on every angle and the only good performance in it was from Elizabeth Debicki.

FYC:

Riz Ahmed- Best Actor for Sound Of Metal
    Daniel Kaluuya - Best Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Amanda Seyfried - Best Supporting Actress for Mank

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Definitely for Tully. I actually consider it one of my top 5 films of all time! I went to the cinema a few times for it, really connected with it on a very deep personal level which is incredible because superficially I have almost nothing in common with that character. Just masterclass acting. I could gush for hours about that snub.

Exactly this. It’s a very good film to rewatch because you gather more subtleties in Theron’s performance and details in Cody’s writing. It’s one of those films where you feel like “oh that should have been so obvious” on the second watch but then you realise that’s what makes it so genius. You don’t realise certain aspects of the film because of how your enchanted by its emotive nature and Theron’s performance.

Also whilst we’re here I find Mackenzie Davis underrated af. I wouldn’t have nominated her for Tully but in every film I’ve seen her in it takes me a while to even notice her. She has an incredible range.

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

are we actually mad at a viola davis snub for widows when these two performances were right there and went unrecognized

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not y’all hating on Lady Gaga for losing an Oscar she so deserved to win.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

are we actually mad at a viola davis snub for widows when these two performances were right there and went unrecognized  

Gosh that snub was so horrible too. That film would have been a snooze fest without her performance.

Let’s hope she takes revenge this year for Promising Young Woman!

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Nothing was worse than Lupita getting snubbed last year.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

Not y’all hating on Lady Gaga for losing an Oscar she so deserved to win. Widows was a flop on every angle and the only good performance in it was from Elizabeth Debicki.

its giving me racism

If you don’t like Widows and think that Gaga deserved the win, that’s fine. The Academy voters obviously decided that Gaga should get the nomination so it’s not that unpopular an opinion… but you mean to tell me that Kaluuya, Davis, Erivo, Tyree Henry all had bad performances?

FYC:

BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Nothing was worse than Lupita getting snubbed last year.

And Jessie Buckley who deserved a nomination for transforming her style of singing and for delivering a true A Star is Born like performance. She was phenomenal in that film and was more deserving of a nomination than Theron (who I love in almost everything)!

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 457 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.